Author Topic: Minneapolis police in the news again  (Read 86384 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Minneapolis police in the news again
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2020, 10:00:22 PM »
Wow. Even managed to work the gayz in there as part of societies woes. How comprehensive of you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

...I re-read it three times. Where does he even mention "teh gayz"?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Minneapolis police in the news again
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2020, 10:11:41 PM »
Great, thing may be getting ready to explode here over the Breonna Taylor case. Protesters gathering downtown Louisville
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2020, 10:27:57 PM »
...I re-read it three times. Where does he even mention "teh gayz"?

I think that for him, transgender=gay. See his comments about a transgender officer.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2020, 10:29:50 PM »
The way I read it, that's not what he's saying.  At least not all gay people.  Just those who can't handle the "power", who are unfit to be trusted with that kind of authority.

I would agree with that concept completely, regardless of the person's sexual orientation.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2020, 10:37:15 PM »
I'm not sure how accurate that is.

There were 1,004 people killed by police in 2019, and 23% of them were black.  Not all of those made national news, and I'm sure some barely blipped the local news.
No, not all make national news, but as I said they receive heavy scrutiny and often national attention.  I watch cases on a local level and I've seen a number of clear-cut cases of completely justified police shootings (i.e., video of the deceased on the run saying they're not going back to jail and showing their gun, then firing it at police) that resulted in local protests.  It obviously didn't get national traction, but cases where a black person is killed by police in all but the most clear-cut cases are much more likely to garner media attention than that of other races.

Interestingly, using your source:
There were 9 unarmed black people killed in 2019 (3.8% of 235)
There were 19 unarmed white people killed in 2019 (5.1% of 370)
There were 6 unarmed hispanic people killed in 2019 (3.8% of 158)

FWIW, the 2010 Census has 12.6% of the US as black or African American, so they are pretty badly over-represented in being capped by the police.
Black people are also overrepresented when it comes to arrests, convictions, and prison population (and slightly overrepresented in police demographics, for that matter).

Because law enforcement agencies can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that heavy handed tactics are back firing, tolerance for thin blue line protection of bad apples is waiting, it's pushing things in certain communities to a breaking point, and despite aforementioned spot lights institutionally such animals were still in uniform and in a position to murder this man on video in front of a crowd for no discernable reason other than they bloody well felt like it.
Do you think that there is more or less of a tolerance for bad apples in US law enforcement now or twenty years ago?  Fifty years ago?  Seventy years ago?
Do you really think that the cop in this video intentionally killed his victim while being recorded by multiple witnesses?

Honestly, though, what gets me most is the whole "you can't blame black people for rioting, they're just angry and they can't figure out how to get results any way but rioting and looting!" routine.  That is about as patronizingly racist a thing as you can possibly say.  Black people have personal agency, are just as capable of living as responsible adults in a civilized society and participate as equals in the political process.  Treating them like children who cannot possibly be held responsible for their actions or come up with a solution more elegant or effective than burning down and looting nearby businesses is humiliating and demeaning.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2020, 11:03:42 PM »
Target says they're closing 24 stores in the area
National Guard called up

https://www.wlky.com/article/violence-again-rocks-minneapolis-after-mans-death-1-killed/32693507
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2020, 11:19:26 PM »
My original comment had two points.  One was countering the comment that politics has nothing to do with the present situation by giving some historical commentary about how R and D and Right and Left politics created the problems confronted by black Americans and then those bad policies were exacerbated by continuing to fail to recognize the failure of their "programs" and then look to blame others.  Further, many Americans are shallow or oblivious enough to not care or ruthless enough to take advantage.

My second point was a good bit of sarcasm with respect to how the above politics has infected one area that is critical to a civil society; the hiring, training, supervision and weeding out of cops.  I continued with the sarcasm with respect to the libprog notion that people are entitled to be cops whether or not they are qualified for the responsibility and weight of that job.  The SJWs continue to deny that there are good and bad human beings and refuse to wake up to that.  When the results of their folly becomes evident we get what we have...and of course the media laps it up and spews it out...and then some folks pick and choose pieces of what they think other people say, not the entirety of the comments, according to their own biases.  Maybe that's one of the other problems with our deteriorating culture is that rather than comprehending the entirety of a thing, we sometimes choose the simplistic methodology of distortion.  Sort of reminds me of a meme of a reporter speaking to the PM of England where the PM says "I had bacon and eggs for breakfast" and the reporter says "So you're saying kill all the vegans."

As for Minneapolis, the D party has been running that city and that state for a long time.  Democrats are the defender of the underdog, right?  Then Ds assign us to a group to be promoted or maligned.  Democrats hire the bosses in the police department, yes?  Then why is a guy who had his knee on that fellows neck, (while others either participated or stood and watched) with the record which seems to be coming out that he is not a good police officer, with lots of bad marks, still around?  We can blame the cops, but wouldn't it make more sense to rather blame those who created the atmosphere in the cop shop, maintained it and did nothing about it?  Don't blame the union either, because unions are the step child of the Democrat Party.  Me, I don't give a rat's ass what anyone of any iteration of human critter would like to do or be...I'd just like to know that you are qualified to do it...not entitled to do it regardless of your capability.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:37:05 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2020, 02:34:36 AM »
I think that for him, transgender=gay. See his comments about a transgender officer.

Which doesn't seem to really apply in this case specific or even to cops committing murder in general.

Derek looks very much the cisgendered white masculine male.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2020, 02:59:48 AM »
So burn down a police station,

I believe they just did that.
a friend speculates some businesses let themselves be looted because insurance will pay better than re-opening.
 Personally, an older protester said the city/cops created the tension- I agree ( for the most part)
The friggin mayor looks like he is 17.
 The ghetto denizens have never considered a militia, probably cannot spell it either.
the D's have convinced millions that guns are bad, that only the gov't needs guns.

the killer in a cop uniform has obviously done this a bunch of times without repercussions - he didn't just pick up that technique last week.
its a messed up situation all around, I wouldn't loot , but i wouldn't live in a place like that either.

the police have convinced that town and themselves that they are at war.

if 4 black guys did that to a white cop, restrain and crush his windpipe, they would all be arrested 3 for felony murder  1 for murder.

all the politicking i have done at work has gone up in smoke, i had a lot of my minority co workers sort of viewing trump/conservatives as ok-ish.
the low info folks , and there are a lot, blame trump for this.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2020, 03:42:07 AM »

all the politicking i have done at work has gone up in smoke, i had a lot of my minority co workers sort of viewing trump/conservatives as ok-ish.

That cop's record of excessive force goes back to waaaaay before Trump.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2020, 04:10:11 AM »
I suspect if he's found guilty, any jail sentence will be a short life sentence.

Let that fear freeze his heart.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2020, 07:51:44 AM »
Third world problems.

We obviously need more diversity. Let's import more third worlders from places like Mogadishu, that will help.

Maybe the caliber of individuals who are willing to police our own third world *expletive deleted*it holes aren't all the cream of the crop.

It's almost like demographics is destiny ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2020, 08:17:42 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2020, 08:22:19 AM »
Called it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/28/george-floyd-killing-officers-derek-chauvin-tou-thao-investigated

The murderer already had three "verbal reprimands" which is, in my estimation, police speak for "he screwed up really badly and we told him to stop getting caught, but since our code says the police protect each other, we'll pretend it wasn't that bad."

And, wild card I absolutely didn't expect- Vice Presidential possible pick (I read she was top of the list last week) Amy Klobuchar declined to prosecute him.

Whether she made the right call or not in the specific case isn't going to matter. She's toast as VP material. Possibly even in her next senate race.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2020, 08:34:14 AM »
The crooked cop and dead thug are both bad things. No good guys in this story.

They shouldn't be the focus.

The third world behavior, anarchy and major crimes taking place right now are of a magnitude worse.

Letting the third worlders and antifa thugs riot is setting every big city up for being extorted or else.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2020, 08:39:28 AM »
The crooked cop and dead thug are both bad things. No good guys in this story.

They shouldn't be the focus.

The third world behavior, anarchy and major crimes taking place right now are of a magnitude worse.

Hold up there.

I have yet to see evidence the deceased was currently a "thug" of any kind. He had a previous record, but had been working legitimate jobs pre-the stupid shutdown. As far as I know he was only accused of passing a counterfeit bill. I have yet to see any evidence of him "resisting" either. I have seen video of him walking calmly with two officers and then video of him on the ground with a different officer with his knee on his neck. Have you seen anything to indicate he was a thug, currently?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2020, 08:57:27 AM »
Great, thing may be getting ready to explode here over the Breonna Taylor case. Protesters gathering downtown Louisville

I wouldn't be surprised if this spreads to many cities in the near future.  There has been significant racial, cultural, and economic tension in the US.  The added viral tension, as it were, makes this country into a powder keg.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
This isn't the only bad shoot this month to fan the flames either. I saw a story this morning that Louisville is having problems over its bad shoot as well.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2020, 09:32:15 AM »
Hold up there.

I have yet to see evidence the deceased was currently a "thug" of any kind. He had a previous record, but had been working legitimate jobs pre-the stupid shutdown. As far as I know he was only accused of passing a counterfeit bill. I have yet to see any evidence of him "resisting" either. I have seen video of him walking calmly with two officers and then video of him on the ground with a different officer with his knee on his neck. Have you seen anything to indicate he was a thug, currently?

There is also some pretty good fakes out there right now. https://www.wlwt.com/article/counterfeit-bills-circulating-at-northern-kentucky-businesses/32676405#

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2020, 09:34:35 AM »
And I can't believe I'm on CNN's side and have to defend them:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/29/top-notch-detective-work-minnesota-state-patrol-getting-dragged-over-its-explanation-of-cnn-crew-arrest/

I know I can't believe I'm on their side as well on this, but this cannot be allowed.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2020, 09:36:16 AM »
There is also some pretty good fakes out there right now. https://www.wlwt.com/article/counterfeit-bills-circulating-at-northern-kentucky-businesses/32676405#

Am I seeing things or does that bill have Jackson smiling?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2020, 09:39:00 AM »
And I can't believe I'm on CNN's side and have to defend them:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/29/top-notch-detective-work-minnesota-state-patrol-getting-dragged-over-its-explanation-of-cnn-crew-arrest/
What were they thinking? 

Not to mention why they arrested the guy talking first?  At least be smart enough to arrest the camera man first.  Makes me wonder if someone was following orders and decided to follow them good and hard in the most visible way possible. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2020, 09:40:35 AM »
  I believe they just did that.
a friend speculates some businesses let themselves be looted because insurance will pay better than re-opening.
 Personally, an older protester said the city/cops created the tension- I agree ( for the most part)
The friggin mayor looks like he is 17.
 The ghetto denizens have never considered a militia, probably cannot spell it either.
the D's have convinced millions that guns are bad, that only the gov't needs guns.

the killer in a cop uniform has obviously done this a bunch of times without repercussions - he didn't just pick up that technique last week.
its a messed up situation all around, I wouldn't loot , but i wouldn't live in a place like that either.

the police have convinced that town and themselves that they are at war.

if 4 black guys did that to a white cop, restrain and crush his windpipe, they would all be arrested 3 for felony murder  1 for murder.

Other than pointing out who is in charge in that city, I don't know what else you can say.  You can't really use logic to change someone's mind when they didn't use logic to get there in the first place.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2020, 10:05:28 AM »
Denver had a few incidents around the Capitol last night... tear gas, flashbangs, vandalism, graffiti.  Need I provide details?  Not sure about opportunistic acquisition of retail merchandise --there aren't any big box stores in that immediate area.

Haven't turned on the news yet this AM.

Why bother.

Made sure I had some extra SKS food at hand rather than stored away.  Not paranoia.  Just common sense.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:28:53 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.