Author Topic: Minneapolis police in the news again  (Read 86528 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Minneapolis police in the news again
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2020, 02:00:00 AM »
Democrats been importing Somalis into Minnesota by the thousands (why would they come here, don't they know it's cold?) and now seem surprised that they have Mogadishu.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2020, 07:22:29 AM »
Mr Floyd, another gentle giant, stood at 6'6".

Despite his five stints in jail and his resisting arrest violently that day he was close to finally pulling his life together.

It appears he died of cardiac arrest, a broken heart brought on by the lack of equality and a lifetime of suffering micro aggression's.

Who knows? If it wasn't for white suppression he may have gone on to cure cancer.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2020, 07:34:46 AM »
Nice attempt at deflecting.

No one here has claimed he was a saint. The most I recall in this thread is the statement that he may not be a "Thug" and a request for evidence.

His size, criminal record, and behavior earlier have zero bearing on whether it was OK to kneel on him until he expired.

I've mentioned this before as has Fitz when he was here, but a good rule of thumb is if it is something that US soldiers can't do in a war zone, cops should not be doing it in the US.

If you kneeled on a detainee in Afghanistan so long they died, you would be going down for murder, regardless of any pre-existing comorbidities they might have.  This is the appropriate response.

Murder 3 (depraved indifference)  is what is on that video.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2020, 07:44:41 AM »
Nice attempt at deflecting.

No one here has claimed he was a saint. The most I recall in this thread is the statement that he may not be a "Thug" and a request for evidence.

His size, criminal record, and behavior earlier have zero bearing on whether it was OK to kneel on him until he expired.

I've mentioned this before as has Fitz when he was here, but a good rule of thumb is if it is something that US soldiers can't do in a war zone, cops should not be doing it in the US.

If you kneeled on a detainee in Afghanistan so long they died, you would be going down for murder, regardless of any pre-existing comorbidities they might have.  This is the appropriate response.

Murder 3 (depraved indifference)  is what is on that video.

I'm happy to let the courts sort out whether the officer was operating outside his training or using excessive force.

As a side note, I've read also that what hasn't been seen is the four other officers that were needed to restrain his arms and legs. It very well may come out that this gentle giant was high and out of control during the arrest.

Everyone here is condemning the cop out of hand based on a short video of a much longer encounter.

Typical conservatives, bending over backwards to seem reasonable and allowing the left to frame the narrative.

I don't know what happened and neither do any of you guys.

But my gut is telling me something stinks, this is just too convenient of a deflection from the leftist tyranny taking place in big cities and being promoted by all the media. Right out of the gate the story is starting to fall apart, color me unconvinced.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2020, 07:54:41 AM »
Slight tangent, but a well-written article from Tucker Carlson:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-leaders-agents-of-chaos-crimes-mob

It certainly encapsulates my feelings on the rioters and looters, who, IMO, are at this point 90% made up of people basically out to have a good time, Third World style. There is still a segment that is actually protesting, and I have no problem with them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2020, 08:04:10 AM »
Cops around the country are not helping themselves:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/29/nyc-council-speaker-calls-for-assault-charges-against-nypd-officer-seen-pushing-woman-to-the-ground/

Another tangent heard on the TV this morning: Regarding the question asked every time these things happen and the call for "more training", a former cop made the obvious, but not always thought about point: There are over 17,000 discrete police forces in the US. Good luck with standardized training and oversight.

Of course that person also made the case for a single, national police force, which I do not agree with.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2020, 08:07:01 AM »
Cops do stupid sh t every single day. It's always been that way.

Why is it being amplified on national news all of a sudden?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2020, 08:10:20 AM »
Cops do stupid sh t every single day. It's always been that way.

Why is it being amplified on national news all of a sudden?

Because the cops are doing it on camera during riots and protests. This would have been the time for the cop to ignore the 90lb girl, not shove her like she was his opponent in an MMA match.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2020, 08:13:19 AM »
Because the cops are doing it on camera during riots and protests. This would have been the time for the cop to ignore the 90lb girl, not shove her like she was his opponent in an MMA match.

How do you know "she" identifies as a female?

Are you insinuating that "her" ability to riot, cause property damage and bodily harm is not equal to those who identify as male?

The use of the word protest is uncalled for at this point.

Stop using the leftist words and narratives to describe these events guys.

The rioters are the unreasonable ones who need to back down, not the folks who believe in actual law and order.

The rioters are more out of control than our police.

The police problem should be handled by putting new politicians in office, not burning cities.

There is no excuse for this, zero, zip nada. That is the starting point.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2020, 08:23:54 AM »
How do you know "she" identifies as a female?

Are you insinuating that "her" ability to riot, cause property damage and bodily harm is not equal to those who identify as male?

The use of the word protest is uncalled for at this point.

Stop using the leftist words and narratives to describe these events guys.

The rioters are the unreasonable ones who need to back down, not the folks who believe in actual law and order.

The police problem should be handled by putting new politicians in office, not burning cities.

Now you're just being silly with the "she" and "her". You're also making the same kind of arguments that progressives did regarding "the armed terrorists that raided the Michigan state house".

I've made it clear what I think should be done with rioters. Despite the MSM not covering them, there are still non-violent protests happening, and those people have every right do do that, regardless if you or I agree with them or not.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »
Now you're just being silly

;) I'm not allowed to be silly?

The time may come for violence against the state. Hopefully not in our lifetimes.

This is not the time, the riots are manufactured, as usual, on lies with a "hero" who is anything but a hero.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2020, 08:53:31 AM »
I wonder if we're gearing up for another Long, Hot Summer kind of scenario.

Milwaukee had a race riot that year. Probably some veterans of that riot around who can give some tips to these whippersnappers....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2020, 09:01:31 AM »
In the complaint against the officer it said that he keep his knee on Floyd's neck for three minutes after Floyd stopped moving and another officer said he couldn't find a pulse.  I realize officer safety is a big deal, but to me that three minutes crossed the line from arrest to indifference about the life of a dying man.  Riots = Bad  also  Murder = Bad
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2020, 09:09:54 AM »
I don't care about Floyd's priors or his health. Or even ten minutes before. In the video he was cuffed. Fight is over. I care about the attitude of the cops. That attitude is the same one that will come with a different badge and shoot your dog, illegally search your car, no knock you on a red flag law, etc. It is us vs. them and they made it that way. Also us vs. them with the looting arsonists.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2020, 09:25:54 AM »
I don't care about Floyd's priors or his health. Or even ten minutes before. In the video he was cuffed. Fight is over. I care about the attitude of the cops. That attitude is the same one that will come with a different badge and shoot your dog, illegally search your car, no knock you on a red flag law, etc. It is us vs. them and they made it that way. Also us vs. them with the looting arsonists.

Us vs them?

So you are with the looters?

The narrative wants to make it a binary choice.

I don't have to give the cops a pass just because I realize this is a media psy-op to alienate black voters.

Let the courts sort it out.

Big Floyd died of a heart attack not asphyxiation from preliminary reports.

Hopefully everyone was wearing body cams.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2020, 09:29:26 AM »
I wonder if we're gearing up for another Long, Hot Summer kind of scenario.

do not even wonder.
no job/welfare/ebt/hot weather.
media only reporting stuff to make you angry, entertainment industry reinforcing it.
today's protesters cannot think clearly.
So glad I do not live in a big blue city.
Reno is a small blue city, bad enough but i doubt we will have riots here.

I think they think this might prevent re-election of the bad orange man
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2020, 09:47:16 AM »
The current autopsy report might make manslaughter the more likely charge for a conviction. There is apparently a second autopsy happening though.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/29/george-floyd-autopsy-no-physical-findings-that-support-a-diagnosis-of-traumatic-asphyxia-or-strangulation/

Of course, the looting class will claim that the autopsy was faked.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

castle key

• friend
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2020, 09:56:21 AM »
I'm quite happy to be retired from policing..... especially since some "events" last night happened where I worked.

I'm really happy to now live in a really small sleepy town at the end of nowhere.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2020, 09:59:01 AM »
I have to laugh

A CNN anchor just said on live TV that the riots in MN were "entirely peaceful" and a "merry caravan" and then seconds later someone throws a bottle directly at him.

You can't make this stuff up. pic.twitter.com/CtsYvBVzCH

— Andrew Surabian (@Surabees) May 30, 2020
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/05/30/cnn-reporter-told-don-lemon-that-merry-caravan-of-minneapolis-protesters-were-entirely-peaceful-guess-what-happened-next/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2020, 10:03:30 AM »

There is no excuse for this, zero, zip nada. That is the starting point.

Disagree.

This is not a one off.  Cops have been trending more militarized for decades, and that trend is not reversing.  New mayors get elected, new police chiefs get appointed, and by and large the culture of law enforcement continues to default to militarized enforcement and escalation to physical force.  More automatic weapons, more MRAPS, more tac teams.  When police officers are dragged into court, unions cover their legal costs and more often then not they get away with no real punishment for their transgressions.  When they completely abdicate their responsibilities and people die, not only do they not stay fired, they get back pay and reinstatement.

There have been years of marches, sit ins, road blockings and other more peaceful protests. Those tactics don't seem to be working.

There is absolutely a place in American government for violent protest of the government.  It's literally in our founding document.  Why should the folks in Minneapolis put up with any more shitty government in the futile hope they can get it to change at the ballot box?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
Disagree.

This is not a one off.  Cops have been trending more militarized for decades, and that trend is not reversing.  New mayors get elected, new police chiefs get appointed, and by and large the culture of law enforcement continues to default to militarized enforcement and escalation to physical force.  More automatic weapons, more MRAPS, more tac teams.  When police officers are dragged into court, unions cover their legal costs and more often then not they get away with no real punishment for their transgressions.  When they completely abdicate their responsibilities and people die, not only do they not stay fired, they get back pay and reinstatement.

There have been years of marches, sit ins, road blockings and other more peaceful protests. Those tactics don't seem to be working.

There is absolutely a place in American government for violent protest of the government.  It's literally in our founding document.  Why should the folks in Minneapolis put up with any more shitty government in the futile hope they can get it to change at the ballot box?

It should be targeted violence.  (not Targetâ„¢)  When it come to that, extreme violence is fine; indescriminate is not.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2020, 10:13:28 AM »
Maybe coming to a Minneapolis near you!  Active duty military police.  I had never heard of the Insurrection Act before, and how it apparently works in concert with the Posse Comitatus Act.

https://apnews.com/cf9947a3ca9f3225f9645fd330403eae

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »
I have to laugh
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/05/30/cnn-reporter-told-don-lemon-that-merry-caravan-of-minneapolis-protesters-were-entirely-peaceful-guess-what-happened-next/

"Yelling and throwing stuff at us, but not in a mean way."

Putz. CNN, who had an HQ attacked, pushes it as a big, friendly party.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2020, 10:19:32 AM »
And we're now under a dusk to dawn curfew
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »
It should be targeted violence.  (not Targetâ„¢)  When it come to that, extreme violence is fine; indescriminate is not.

It should be targeted, yes.  But it's not.  Let's not pretend like burning down whole cities to get at a target or objective is a new thing.  They are working with what they have.

Let me also go on record here as saying I suspect that this won't actually work, I don't think they can burn enough of Minneapolis to force a change on the enlightened white liberals that built their cage, but it's as good a strategy as they have.

Would you be any more sympathetic if they were actively hunting and killing MPD officers?  That would be targeted?

I'm intrigued by how many 2A supporters have suddenly decided that political violence is beyond the pale.

To be clear: In my life, where I live, I am unhappy with the state of policing and government interference in my life, but not to the point I am willing to risk what I have, my freedom, and my life on violent response.  I can easily understand how someone with less to lose, or that has been subject to more oppression than I, would be on the other side of that calculus.