Author Topic: Minneapolis police in the news again  (Read 86529 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Minneapolis police in the news again
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »
"Yelling and throwing stuff at us, but not in a mean way."

Putz. CNN, who had an HQ attacked, pushes it as a big, friendly party.

Yeah, two hours after they started smashing stuff here one station was still using the the term peaceful protest to describe what was going on.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2020, 10:51:56 AM »
https://summit.news/2020/05/29/rioter-were-gonna-start-coming-to-the-suburbs

That may not go as they think it will.  If they his the heavily Democrat voting areas they'll likely be able to do what they want.  More Republican voting?  Not sure they'll like the response.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »
https://summit.news/2020/05/29/rioter-were-gonna-start-coming-to-the-suburbs

That may not go as they think it will.  If they his the heavily Democrat voting areas they'll likely be able to do what they want.  More Republican voting?  Not sure they'll like the response.

They're already getting more votes for Trump with their looting parties at innocent establishments in the urban centers. I almost urge them to "hit the suburbs."

"Come on out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »
Cops around the country are not helping themselves:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/29/nyc-council-speaker-calls-for-assault-charges-against-nypd-officer-seen-pushing-woman-to-the-ground/

Another tangent heard on the TV this morning: Regarding the question asked every time these things happen and the call for "more training", a former cop made the obvious, but not always thought about point: There are over 17,000 discrete police forces in the US. Good luck with standardized training and oversight.

Of course that person also made the case for a single, national police force, which I do not agree with.

Shoving people in that manner is extremely dangerous. There was a case where a man (innocent bystander to a crime) ended up braindead because of a shove like that from a policeman. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/10m-settlement-for-man-shoved-into-wall-by-king-co-deputy-jurors-react-to-video/

This woman blacked out and had a seizure which are clear signs that traumatic brain injury has occurred. Are these "law enforcement officers" or rabid badgers?  :lol:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2020, 12:53:47 PM »
If you want a less militarized police with a softer more human approach I recommend not rioting.

Anarchy, rioting and destruction of property is guaranteed to provoke a militarized response.

There is no excuse.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »
Well, the Minneapolis mayor and Minnesota governor are now saying white supremacists are organizing the riots.

Both leaders have implied that organized outsiders, including but not limited to anarchists, white supremacists and gangs from other states, were behind the destruction and chaos in Minneapolis.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minnesota-national-guard-full-mobilization-george-floyd
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »

Anarchy, rioting and destruction of property is guaranteed to provoke a militarized response.

And one of the problems is that they use riots like this as an excuse for needing MRAPs and stuff, but it's "hands off" during riots and looting, and the MRAPs roll in because some guys with guns on their hips are having a peaceful protest somewhere.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2020, 01:25:08 PM »
Once American blacks figure out they have a home in the Republican Party if they abandon shake downs and instead help with real solutions it's game over for the Dems.

Van Jones breaking bad is pretty big news.

The republican party is on the same side as the democrat party: theirs, not yours.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2020, 02:08:10 PM »
Well, the Minneapolis mayor and Minnesota governor are now saying white supremacists are organizing the riots.

Do they really think there are people stupid enough to believe that? Sadly yes

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
If you want a less militarized police with a softer more human approach I recommend not rioting.

What approach do you recommend?  How has that approach been working?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »
They are working with what they have.
You do realize that is raw paternalistic bigotry, right?

Would you be any more sympathetic if they were actively hunting and killing MPD officers?  That would be targeted?
Unless you allege that MPD is corrupt and abusive through and through, that would be killing people just because of the group they belong to.  That's a Bad Thing.  That is not okay when black people are being lynched because some black people did bad things, and that's not okay to lynch police officers because some police did bad things.  Is that the road we want to go down?

I'm intrigued by how many 2A supporters have suddenly decided that political violence is beyond the pale.
Interesting.  So now believing in the value of the Second Amendment means we should support political violence and terrorism in all cases?  Well then ...

Even if one believes violence has its place, going from zero to Ferguson before the system has even had a chance to do the wrong thing - and when things have been steadily improving for at least the past sixty years - is simply not justified.

Rioting began immediately the day after Floyd was killed.  Violence and arson against innocent people and businesses started the next day and have increased ever since.  The cops in question were fired and at least some charges have already been made.  The riots continue.

Believing that violent revolution has its place does not even remotely mean one must defend every riot, arson, looting spree, or political murder.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »
Do they really think there are people stupid enough to believe that? Sadly yes

crap like this doesn't help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPibg61riRk
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2020, 04:42:23 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2020, 04:49:58 PM »
My head hurts
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »
Shoving people in that manner is extremely dangerous. There was a case where a man (innocent bystander to a crime) ended up braindead because of a shove like that from a policeman. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/10m-settlement-for-man-shoved-into-wall-by-king-co-deputy-jurors-react-to-video/

This woman blacked out and had a seizure which are clear signs that traumatic brain injury has occurred. Are these "law enforcement officers" or rabid badgers?  :lol:
I am reminded of the parking space monitor in Florida who was shoved hard to the ground and shot the guy who did it.  I didn't hear too many talking about how dangerous it was to hit your head on the ground then.  The weight differential was likely similar.  

On that woman shoved, she didn't look like she blacked out and I would like to see her evidence of seizure.  That wasn't apparent in the video.  The officer may have shoved her too hard, but she shouldn't be getting in his face either.  Hard to see if she was physically attacking him or not.  Just because she was small doesn't mean she was no threat.  

Someone made a claim on the internet.  We will see. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2020, 05:07:41 PM »
I'd bet there's 100 Antifa for every white nationalist
Looking at the recent videos, I would say it was all Antifa people.  Looks like the same type of people we have seen the last few years. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2020, 05:14:34 PM »
So was there a link that said Floyd died of a heart attack?  I heard that mentioned previously, but may have missed the original mention.

If true, I guess that means when he was claiming he couldn't breath, he was having a heart attack? 

I don't know how much that helps the officer's case.  It still shows some major indifference to the man he has pinned down in custody that he never bothered to check on him.  The small bit of video I saw showing the two cops near Floyd's legs show he wasn't struggling at the time, but that may have been after he was unconscious. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »
They are starting *expletive deleted*it in Columbia SC by vandalizing and burning police cars. Peaceful protests so far in Greenville (near me).

They can protest all they want but if they want to riot they are starting *expletive deleted*it in the wrong state.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »

And one of the problems is that they use riots like this as an excuse for needing MRAPs and stuff, but it's "hands off" during riots and looting, and the MRAPs roll in because some guys with guns on their hips are having a peaceful protest somewhere.

QUIET!

You're not supposed to notice things like that, and you're certainly not supposed to say anything if you do notice it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2020, 06:30:39 PM »
I certainly hope all these "protesters" are wearing masks and maintaining social distancing while they are "protesting"

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/minneapolis-mayor-urges-protesters-to-wear-masks-and-practice-social-distancing

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2020, 06:32:53 PM »
The local Target and Cub Foods stores have closed and barricaded the front doors and windows. (plywood and pallets of water softener salt)  We're 90 miles south of the Twin Cities and AFAIK there has only been minor peaceful protests here, but we have a pretty big Somali community and they account for a disproportionate amount of the crime.  It could be bad if they got riled up.  (I'm on the opposite end of town)

I have no idea why Target and Cub are being especially hit.  Cub has a liquor store, and a name thatkinda sounds like that of the store where Floyd allegedly passed a counterfeit $10 or $20 -- I've heard both denominations -- that got this whole thing started.

The Target on Lake Street in Mpls has vowed to reopen.  Why?  Seems like they should leave the damaged store abandoned there as a memorial to the "protesters'" stupidity.  Good luck finding someplace else to shop in that neighborhood now.  Target has enough political clout to do something like that.
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2020, 06:55:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/ali/status/1266622746571800576
That is pretty transparent right there. 

BREAKING: tonight’s Dallas riot was pre-planned

Organizers were directing the crowd where to go

They had pallets of 100 bricks ready for rioters

They were yelling to the crowd “go left, there are 100 bricks on the corner over there”

This wasn’t random chaos