Author Topic: Minneapolis police in the news again  (Read 86487 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Minneapolis police in the news again
« Reply #376 on: June 04, 2020, 09:57:11 AM »
Damn good general, piss poor politician.
Interesting you should say that...
Quote from: Donald J. Trump
Probably the only thing Barack Obama & I have in common is that we both had the honor of firing Jim Mattis, the world’s most overrated General. I asked for his letter of resignation, & felt great about it. His nickname was “Chaos”, which I didn’t like, & changed to “Mad Dog”. His primary strength was not military, but rather personal public relations. I gave him a new life, things to do, and battles to win, but he seldom “brought home the bacon”. I didn’t like his “leadership” style or much else about him, and many others agree. Glad he is gone!

When Mattis was fired, a lot of people walked the line of saying he was a great man and good at his job but just not a good fit with his boss. It happens, no fault of either man.
I suspect now many people who previously thought quite highly of Mattis will have to dismiss him as yet another histrionic TDS sufferer, maybe even deep state.
Also, I don't think Trump had anything to do with that nickname  ??? Bizarre thing to lie about.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #377 on: June 04, 2020, 01:32:50 PM »
Something I posted on my faceplace page the other day after some cursory looking into it. No one in the media is talking about this. They should be.

"I've been looking into something over the past few days, and it's rather disturbing, yet no one is talking about it...

The information is spread out, and is somewhat tough to come by, but it's slowly coalescing, and it's startling...

The majority of the cities with the worst record of their police departments killing unarmed black men are, and in more than a few cases have been for decades, controlled either completely or in large part by Democrats.

Chicago, St. Louis, New York. All places where shocking incidents have occurred in which unarmed black men have been killed by police.

Now add Milwaukee to the list.

Include Baltimore, Detroit, Washington, DC, Philadelphia and others.

All bastions of Democratic power and control.

The Democrats claim to be the party of the oppressed, against racism, promoting equality for all.

Why have they ignored their police departments? Why have they allowed this to continue under their watch?

Yes, this is something that occurs far too frequently in police departments that are controlled by Republicans.

But to hear the talking talking heads, the protestors, etc., this is all the fault of the right.

Why are these Democratic machines not being held accountable for the actions of their police departments and for failing to enact proactive reforms that could result in a more positive police/community relationship?"

What St Louis incident is he talking about? Or Chicago?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #378 on: June 04, 2020, 01:37:28 PM »
Furguson is close enough and the protests did spill over.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #379 on: June 04, 2020, 02:04:18 PM »
From what I've found on line, St Louis police kill more unarmed black men per capital than any other major city.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #380 on: June 04, 2020, 02:10:02 PM »
The most recent Chicago incident was Laquan McDonald. He was armed with a small knife but was walking away from police when he was shot in the back. The officer, the only one who fired, emptied his pistol after McDonald was down and no longer a threat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #381 on: June 04, 2020, 02:36:03 PM »
Man, do I wish I were here at this exact time with a can of spray paint so I could have painted "BLM" on the hood of Karen's car.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/06/04/good-lord-brit-hume-shares-video-of-young-women-being-called-racist-for-cleaning-up-graffiti-on-federal-building-watch/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #382 on: June 04, 2020, 02:43:06 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/santa-monica-music-center-looters-armed

The animals destroyed a music store. A music store specifically aimed at helping low income students.

That rented instruments to people who couldn't afford to buy them. That provided charity to provide lessons to poor students.

Just another example of the absolute disregard by these scum of the cost of their actions. Disregard of the LIVES that are being destroyed.

Who cares!? I GOT FREE STUFF!

Now, let me run off to craigslist to sell off this stupid big guitar thing.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #383 on: June 04, 2020, 03:50:13 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oqEp63duIc

It's almost as if the County medical examiner tried to subtly cover for the police involved, using improper or vague terminology and trying to muddy the waters by pointing at toxicological reports and preexisting disease.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #384 on: June 04, 2020, 03:54:57 PM »

It's almost as if the County medical examiner tried to subtly cover for the police involved, using improper or vague terminology and trying to muddy the waters by pointing at toxicological reports and preexisting disease.

That's what they do. The systemic problem isn't racism, but the system protecting its own. (Bad police, bad prosecutors, bad lab technicians, bad judges, etc...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #385 on: June 04, 2020, 04:31:49 PM »
Some, like ESPN reporter Chris Palmer, had epiphanies in real-time as the looting and rioting moved ever closer to their neighborhoods. After tweeting “Burn it down,” in response to Minneapolis protesters torching the city’s 3rd district police headquarters, Palmer did a 180-degree turn, excoriating rioters for attacking his “sister neighborhood” in Minneapolis and destroying a Starbucks, eventually calling the rioters, “animals.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/editor-for-progressive-outlet-in-north-carolina-celebrated-protesters-and-then-they-stormed-and-trashed-her-office

These tools are caricatures of themselves.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #386 on: June 04, 2020, 04:33:14 PM »
Furguson is close enough and the protests did spill over.

Oh. I didn't know I was supposed to be shocked that police will shoot you if you try to grab their gun. ;/ Figured they must be talking about something else.

From what I've found on line, St Louis police kill more unarmed black men per capital than any other major city.

They're better shots?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #387 on: June 04, 2020, 04:35:39 PM »
News from lego land

LEGO Requests Stores Pull White House, Police, & More From Marketing
https://bleedingcool.com/games/lego-requests-stores-pull-white-house-police-more-from-marketing/

Lego stops promoting police, White House sets amid George Floyd protests
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/lego-advertising-george-floyd-protests

Lego says the suspension of promotional campaigns for its building-block sets of the White House and law enforcement officers and equipment, a move that flummoxed avid customers, was meant to demonstrate respect amid nationwide protests over the death of a black man in police custody.

An e-mail directive from Rakuten Linkshare, which handles Lego's affiliate marketing, indicated that over 30 Lego toys representing police officers, firefighters, criminals, emergency vehicles and buildings were to be removed from "sites and any marketing ASAP," according to an e-mail obtained by The Toy Book.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 05:40:23 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #389 on: June 04, 2020, 05:46:55 PM »
News from lego land

LEGO Requests Stores Pull White House, Police, & More From Marketing
https://bleedingcool.com/games/lego-requests-stores-pull-white-house-police-more-from-marketing/

Lego stops promoting police, White House sets amid George Floyd protests
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/lego-advertising-george-floyd-protests

I don't follow Lego stuff, but I had no idea they even had a White House set.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »
I don't follow Lego stuff, but I had no idea they even had a White House set.

It's part of the Dagobah set.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
BLM protestors happy to have armed citizens nearby:

https://youtu.be/bIS4C7ym5YM
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »
Does anyone have an explanation how the cop is getting charged with murder and manslaughter?  I figured it would be one or the other.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #396 on: June 04, 2020, 10:45:08 PM »

"almost" ???
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #398 on: June 05, 2020, 08:21:11 AM »
So potentially derailing the thread, or maybe I'm taking it back to page one.

We (the country, not APS) have, once again, turned police brutality / LE issues into "racism". This all started as cops criminally abusing / misusing their power. Now it has once again turned into "it's all about race" and it's 1000x worse for cops to kill a black man than to kill a white man.

I had to look this up. We talked about it here when it happened, but I had already forgotten most of the details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Daniel_Shaver

We were all pretty outraged about it. The video was posted here and it looked like murder. Until now, I had forgotten about it. No one I know in real life had heard about it. I would have known nothing about it if it wasn't posted here. It wasn't in the MSM to any degree. There were no protests. There were no riots. This guy is just as dead as Floyd.

Note that the cop faced the same 2nd degree murder charges. He was acquitted. He was reinstated so that he could be retired with benefits. No protests. No riots.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #399 on: June 05, 2020, 09:30:58 AM »
I agree, Ben. This killing was atrocious and outrageous, but I have seen enough reports and videos of bad cops doing bad things to people to not be convinced that there was a racial motive behind the cops' actions. I'm not saying they were totally unbiased, but IMHO the motive was at least as much just cops being on a power trip and exercising their aw-thaw-rih-tay because they could, and it may or may not have mattered that the victim happened to be black. I'll go out on a limb and hypothesize that this wasn't the first time that cop used (and abused) that knee on the neck trick. Officer Derek Chauvin appears to have been a terrible example of a police officer, with numerous complaints about him stretching back at least ten or fifteen years. I'm not prepared to accept that all those complaints involved black people, and that he never abused his authority against whites.

Unfortunately, because of the current political climate, even suggesting that this incident wasn't 100 percent racism is, in itself, decried as racist.

What's really needed is to get the police out of the paramilitary business and back into the peace officer business. That would be a good start.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design