Author Topic: Minneapolis police in the news again  (Read 86421 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Minneapolis police in the news again
« Reply #550 on: June 10, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »
A scope mounted on the suppressor?  Yeah, that'll work.

It's a shoulder thing that goes up
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #551 on: June 10, 2020, 06:10:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1270806581970518016

Some guy named Raz Simone has apparently set himself up as a warlord in the "autonomous zone" declaring that he and his crew are the police now.

I'm just waiting for Delta Force to arrive in UH-60s (and for Ridley Scott to make the movie).

Power abhors a vacuum.  Or more appropriately lately, the powerful abhor a vacuum.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #555 on: June 10, 2020, 07:01:44 PM »
Barricade this

- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #556 on: June 11, 2020, 07:30:04 AM »
"Oh. I didn't know I was supposed to be shocked that police will shoot you if you try to grab their gun. rolleyes Figured they must be talking about something else."

I wasn't talking about Ferguson.

I said, and meant, St. Louis.

More Googling, less bitching.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #557 on: June 11, 2020, 08:50:34 AM »
So it's interesting to follow this "anarchist warlord" thing in Seattle. While I find the name given to the guy amusing, I of course recognize he's not calling himself that. In in some ways, this is not much different than what the Bundys did in Oregon.

I recall the MSM, many national politicians, and the left (but I repeat myself) calling for everything from military intervention to just wiping out that group of "domestic terrorists", who, if I recall, destroyed nothing while being a thorn in the gov's side. How those same people have changed to supporting a takeover of not a remote facility, but the middle of a large city, is almost amusing, especially considering the accompanying destruction.

Other than in the Bundy incident, a protestor was killed by police and everything was cool - the left (and many on the right) said he deserved it. I'm thinking the MSM might cover it a bit differently if a protestor in this Seattle "zone" is killed in the same way.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #558 on: June 11, 2020, 08:56:20 AM »
So it's interesting to follow this "anarchist warlord" thing in Seattle. While I find the name given to the guy amusing, I of course recognize he's not calling himself that. In in some ways, this is not much different than what the Bundys did in Oregon.

I recall the MSM, many national politicians, and the left (but I repeat myself) calling for everything from military intervention to just wiping out that group of "domestic terrorists", who, if I recall, destroyed nothing while being a thorn in the gov's side. How those same people have changed to supporting a takeover of not a remote facility, but the middle of a large city, is almost amusing, especially considering the accompanying destruction.

Other than in the Bundy incident, a protestor was killed by police and everything was cool - the left (and many on the right) said he deserved it. I'm thinking the MSM might cover it a bit differently if a protestor in this Seattle "zone" is killed in the same way.

It's different because these protesters are black!
Well, ok, most of them are privileged white boys and girls wanting to be Che Guevara, but they say they really care about black people's concerns!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #559 on: June 11, 2020, 09:55:44 AM »
"Oh. I didn't know I was supposed to be shocked that police will shoot you if you try to grab their gun. rolleyes Figured they must be talking about something else."

I wasn't talking about Ferguson.

I said, and meant, St. Louis.

More Googling, less bitching.

The guy I replied to said Ferguson.

Don't whine when people ask you what you're blathering about. Which incident in St. Louis are you talking about?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #560 on: June 11, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »

The guy I replied to said Ferguson.

Don't whine when people ask you what you're blathering about. Which incident in St. Louis are you talking about?

I read somewhere on the Internet recently about how St Louis police shoot so many black men.  It sounded vague but truthy.  Here's an article I just found in St Louis Today, and while I have only skimmed it, and if there's a pattern here it's that most of them are probably justified:  https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/officer-involved-shootings-in-the-st-louis-area-during-2019/collection_36cdd778-32ca-5941-bc77-0b8e69868a42.html#39
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #561 on: June 11, 2020, 01:21:08 PM »
I read somewhere on the Internet recently about how St Louis police shoot so many black men.  It sounded vague but truthy.  Here's an article I just found in St Louis Today, and while I have only skimmed it, and if there's a pattern here it's that most of them are probably justified:  https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/officer-involved-shootings-in-the-st-louis-area-during-2019/collection_36cdd778-32ca-5941-bc77-0b8e69868a42.html#39

"... if there's a pattern here it's that most of them are probably justified:"

That's what they want you to believe.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #563 on: June 11, 2020, 05:46:25 PM »
I'm getting sick of this "bend the knee" bullshit.

I'm an American, God damn it. I'm a free citizen of the United States of America. I kneel to no man, and neither should any other free citizen.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/06/11/dallas-police-department-releases-video-urging-its-officers-to-takeaknee-to-end-racism/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #564 on: June 11, 2020, 05:54:58 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #566 on: June 11, 2020, 06:09:45 PM »
Berklee apologizes for perpetuating feelings of oppression, silencing, and marginalization by letting cops use the bathroom
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/06/11/berklee-apologizes-for-perpetuating-feelings-of-oppression-silencing-and-marginalization-by-letting-cops-use-the-bathroom/
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #569 on: June 11, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »
And from another plane of reality

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan says that the so-called Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone "has been autonomous my whole lifetime."

"We have had peaceful demonstrations across the city." pic.twitter.com/ESeCB6qKtS

— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) June 11, 2020

I want to acknowledge that much of the violence and destruction, both here in Seattle and across the country, has been instigated and perpetuated by white men.

— Mayor Jenny Durkan (@MayorJenny) May 31, 2020

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/06/11/this-is-beyond-surreal-seattle-mayor-jenny-durkan-seems-charmed-by-the-autonomous-zone-she-says-has-always-been-there/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #570 on: June 12, 2020, 08:39:51 AM »
So since this started, I have seen NOTHING come from lawmakers that actually addresses the actual issue at hand, without race coming into play.

Rand Paul has just introduced the first piece of legislation that I can actually get behind*, which is banning no knocks. Unfortunately for some reason it only applies to Fed LE and any state and local LE that accepts Fed money. There may be a legal reason for the constraint, but I'd like to see it universal.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rand-paul-justice-for-breonna-taylor-act-barring-no-knock-warrants

*I've heard talk of limiting LE's ability to get stuff like MRAPs, which I also approve of, but am unsure if legislation has been submitted or if it's only talk at this point.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #571 on: June 12, 2020, 09:45:49 AM »
So since this started, I have seen NOTHING come from lawmakers that actually addresses the actual issue at hand, without race coming into play.

Rand Paul has just introduced the first piece of legislation that I can actually get behind*, which is banning no knocks. Unfortunately for some reason it only applies to Fed LE and any state and local LE that accepts Fed money. There may be a legal reason for the constraint, but I'd like to see it universal.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rand-paul-justice-for-breonna-taylor-act-barring-no-knock-warrants

*I've heard talk of limiting LE's ability to get stuff like MRAPs, which I also approve of, but am unsure if legislation has been submitted or if it's only talk at this point.

I think he wants the non federal LE side of this to be taken care of by states and cities. That would more closely fit his political views

What "triggered"  Paul's actions was taken care of locally

https://www.wave3.com/2020/06/11/breonnas-law-unanimously-passed-by-louisville-metro-council/
’Breonna’s Law’ unanimously passed by Louisville Metro Council
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #572 on: June 12, 2020, 11:22:32 AM »
^^^I am waiting for the Federal law that removes blanket qualified immunity from LE personnel.  The employing entity should be able to choose, on a case by case basis, using objective criteria, as to if liability indemnification should be extended to the officer.  And if you really want to reduce unnecessary deaths, apply the same principle to driving the squad car and high speed pursuits.  The officer can buy their own errors/omissions/liability insurance policy if they don't want to lose their house in a civil lawsuit.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #574 on: June 12, 2020, 11:45:25 AM »
^^^I am waiting for the Federal law that removes blanket qualified immunity from LE personnel.  The employing entity should be able to choose, on a case by case basis, using objective criteria, as to if liability indemnification should be extended to the officer.  And if you really want to reduce unnecessary deaths, apply the same principle to driving the squad car and high speed pursuits.  The officer can buy their own errors/omissions/liability insurance policy if they don't want to lose their house in a civil lawsuit.
The impact on already under-policed areas would be interesting.