Author Topic: Minneapolis police in the news again  (Read 86484 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Minneapolis police in the news again
« Reply #576 on: June 12, 2020, 04:21:08 PM »
So since this started, I have seen NOTHING come from lawmakers that actually addresses the actual issue at hand, without race coming into play.

Rand Paul has just introduced the first piece of legislation that I can actually get behind*, which is banning no knocks. Unfortunately for some reason it only applies to Fed LE and any state and local LE that accepts Fed money. There may be a legal reason for the constraint, but I'd like to see it universal.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rand-paul-justice-for-breonna-taylor-act-barring-no-knock-warrants

*I've heard talk of limiting LE's ability to get stuff like MRAPs, which I also approve of, but am unsure if legislation has been submitted or if it's only talk at this point.

After what we've just seen, I expect local police departments will get more and better MRAPs, and people will be fine with it. At least for now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #577 on: June 13, 2020, 09:41:57 AM »
^^^I am waiting for the Federal law that removes blanket qualified immunity from LE personnel.  The employing entity should be able to choose, on a case by case basis, using objective criteria, as to if liability indemnification should be extended to the officer.  And if you really want to reduce unnecessary deaths, apply the same principle to driving the squad car and high speed pursuits.  The officer can buy their own errors/omissions/liability insurance policy if they don't want to lose their house in a civil lawsuit.

Qualified Immunity is a legal doctrine upheld and clarified by the SCOTUS [goes to check law.cornell.edu] 6 times since the early 80's.

I'm not sure Congress can just hand wave it away and expect that law to stick.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #578 on: June 13, 2020, 12:58:14 PM »
Qualified Immunity is a legal doctrine upheld and clarified by the SCOTUS [goes to check law.cornell.edu] 6 times since the early 80's.

I'm not sure Congress can just hand wave it away and expect that law to stick.

Why not?

The concept of qualified immunity for police officers is not enshrined in the Constitution. All the SCOTUS has ruled is that laws creating qualified immunity don't violate the constitution. Laws repealing those laws likewise should not be unconstitutional.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #579 on: June 13, 2020, 03:43:47 PM »
I think it was Steven Crowder that talked about just eliminating police unions.  I think idea was the unions were part of the system that was preventing bad cops from being fired or removed. 

I think it is a good idea as I don't think any public employees should be unionized. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #580 on: June 13, 2020, 03:46:18 PM »
Berklee apologizes for perpetuating feelings of oppression, silencing, and marginalization by letting cops use the bathroom
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/06/11/berklee-apologizes-for-perpetuating-feelings-of-oppression-silencing-and-marginalization-by-letting-cops-use-the-bathroom/

From the comments:
Hey don’t insult Berklee College of Music, their grads are the people serving our food.
:laugh: :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #581 on: June 13, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
If you really hate it here that much *expletive deleted*ing leave!
I am *expletive deleted*ing sick and tired of this *expletive deleted*it

Don Lemon asks 'how can you not be racist' if you grew up in America?
https://www.foxnews.com/media/don-lemon-racist-born-us
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #582 on: June 13, 2020, 03:51:05 PM »
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/06/09/ouch-nick-searcy-has-the-perfect-suggestion-for-andrew-yang-who-wants-to-rename-the-police-something-nicer-and-lol/
Andrew Yang wants to rename the police to something that sounds better (isn't that a typical leftist solution?)
Andrew Yang🧢🇺🇸

@AndrewYang

If I wanted to change the culture of a police department - particularly if it were going through training or reorganization - I might rename them ‘Guardians’ - literally a protector or defender - and adopt a different color scheme. Minneapolis Guardians has a nice ring to it.

Nick Searcy has the best idea.
Nick Searcy, INTERNATIONAL FILM & TELEVISION STAR

@yesnicksearcy

Why not call them “Fluffy Bunny Rabbits?”

Does that mean they would carry Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns?  

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #583 on: June 13, 2020, 04:13:38 PM »
"Guardians" actually sounds more police statey and dystopian to me.

Might as well go straight to:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #584 on: June 13, 2020, 04:20:40 PM »
I wasn't expecting the Gort Inquisition!  (I remembered the name without looking it up  :lol:)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #585 on: June 13, 2020, 04:36:48 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #586 on: June 13, 2020, 05:10:30 PM »
 =D

My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #587 on: June 13, 2020, 05:21:39 PM »
Why not?

The concept of qualified immunity for police officers is not enshrined in the Constitution. All the SCOTUS has ruled is that laws creating qualified immunity don't violate the constitution. Laws repealing those laws likewise should not be unconstitutional.

That's kinda my point.  IANAL and all, but there are not, to the best of my knowledge, "Qualified Immunity Laws".  I don't think Congress ever passed a law that said, "Cops who are believe they are acting lawfully can't be sued".  The whole thing is a legal doctrine that has quite a bit of case law and precedent around it.  As I understand it from a cursory reading of the cases, the SCOTUS invented it in the 60's to give a kind of half way between the absolute immunity the POTUS gets and just letting cops get sued willy-nilly.  How it came about is moot to this though.  It is a reasonably longstanding piece of legal doctrine with a bunch of case law and precedent.  Historically the SCOTUS doesn't like overturning precedent.  Of course Congress CAN make a law that says some version of "cops don't have qualified immunity" but it would have to withstand the police union's court challenge, that would be filed .3 seconds later.

That's what I find unlikely.  Unless a much smarter lawyer than I digs through the actual decisions that caused the Supremes to decide this doctrine needed to exist, and point out where those decisions were misguided, I'm skeptical that the case law and precedent can be successfully just wiped out.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #590 on: June 13, 2020, 07:33:40 PM »

The Ministry of Love, then.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #591 on: June 13, 2020, 07:39:03 PM »
Black Love Matters.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #592 on: June 13, 2020, 08:19:25 PM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #593 on: June 13, 2020, 08:20:50 PM »
Tucker: The world welcomes its newest country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KafIdOk8bLs&feature=youtu.be

This is pretty funny if you haven't seen it.

If you have to say the word "mostly" in front of peaceful, it probably isn't peaceful. Sort of like that asteroid that some hope mostly misses the Earth.   =)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #594 on: June 13, 2020, 08:24:00 PM »
That's kinda my point.  IANAL and all, but there are not, to the best of my knowledge, "Qualified Immunity Laws".  I don't think Congress ever passed a law that said, "Cops who are believe they are acting lawfully can't be sued".  The whole thing is a legal doctrine that has quite a bit of case law and precedent around it.  As I understand it from a cursory reading of the cases, the SCOTUS invented it in the 60's to give a kind of half way between the absolute immunity the POTUS gets and just letting cops get sued willy-nilly.  How it came about is moot to this though.  It is a reasonably longstanding piece of legal doctrine with a bunch of case law and precedent.  Historically the SCOTUS doesn't like overturning precedent.  Of course Congress CAN make a law that says some version of "cops don't have qualified immunity" but it would have to withstand the police union's court challenge, that would be filed .3 seconds later.

That's what I find unlikely.  Unless a much smarter lawyer than I digs through the actual decisions that caused the Supremes to decide this doctrine needed to exist, and point out where those decisions were misguided, I'm skeptical that the case law and precedent can be successfully just wiped out.

Not all laws are enacted by Congress.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/qualified_immunity

Note:

Pearson v. Callahan

In Pearson v. Callahan, 555 U.S. 223 (2009), the Supreme Court held that while the Saucier test is helpful, it does not need to be applied in qualified immunity claims. Rather, a trial court should have more discretion in whether it should apply Saucier. The Court also held that "[a]n officer conducting a search is entitled to qualified immunity where clearly established law does not show that the search violated the Fourth Amendment."
Safford v. Redding

In Safford Unified School Dist. #1 v. Redding, 129 S.Ct. 2633 (2009), the Supreme Court held that even when an individual's Fourth Amendment right to be safe from unreasonable search and seizure is violated, the person performing the search may still be immune under qualified immunity, if "clearly established law does not show that the search violated the Fourth Amendment." However, this holding was in the context of a school official conducting a search of a student for illicit items. The Supreme Court has historically given more deference to searches performed on students while in school, so this holding is more narrow than previous qualified immunity decisions.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #595 on: June 13, 2020, 09:45:56 PM »
Here we go again

Atlanta police chief resigns amid backlash over fatal shooting of black man
https://www.foxnews.com/us/atlanta-police-chief-resigns-amid-backlash-over-fatal-shooting-of-black-man
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #596 on: June 13, 2020, 10:33:36 PM »
Atlanta is burning.

From what I've heard - that isn't much - it didn't seem like a good shoot.  Tazers are less than lethal, there was more than one policeman there armed with their own tazers, just doesn't seem like they should have shot.  Especially with what's been going on the last couple of weeks.

I'd think that the officers involved would/should have considered, however briefly, the probable consequences of shooting instead of trying some other method to take him down.  Or even let him run for a while.  He's tired, intoxicated, how long/far is he going to run?

Then again, maybe they did consider the probable reaction and just didn't care.  "We'll show those a@holes who's boss".

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #598 on: June 13, 2020, 10:49:27 PM »
Here we go again

Atlanta police chief resigns amid backlash over fatal shooting of black man
https://www.foxnews.com/us/atlanta-police-chief-resigns-amid-backlash-over-fatal-shooting-of-black-man

1.  If you struggle and fight with the cops, bad things happen.  It doesn't matter whether you think they are justified or not, they still happen.

2.  Did he manage to taze that one officer when he was shot?  Certainly could have been reaction on seeing him take aim at the one officer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eGj4YRwv_U

3.  I know some people want to see cops get trained in better hand to hand technique to be better able to control situations like this, but sometimes it almost seems like it would be better if they still had night sticks.....but probably not.  

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #599 on: June 13, 2020, 11:01:01 PM »
1.  If you struggle and fight with the cops, bad things happen.  It doesn't matter whether you think they are justified or not, they still happen.

2.  Did he manage to taze that one officer when he was shot?  Certainly could have been reaction on seeing him take aim at the one officer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eGj4YRwv_U

3.  I know some people want to see cops get trained in better hand to hand technique to be better able to control situations like this, but sometimes it almost seems like it would be better if they still had night sticks.....but probably not.  

Oh I agree. Trouble is is that there are thousands looking for an excuse, any excuse, to loot and burn and the MSM & dems are egging them on. I feel like we're trapped in a cycle
- Calvin and Hobbes