Author Topic: Minneapolis police in the news again  (Read 86476 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Minneapolis police in the news again
« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2020, 02:45:05 PM »
During a discussion on the phone a couple of evening ago I looked it up. Blacks are still only about 13 percent of the population of the United States, yet many liberal institutions that have blacks as 30%, 40% or 50% of their staffs are being criticized for not having "enough" blacks.

Put that in perspective: 13 percent of 8 is 1.04 so if a company with 7 employees has one black on staff ... blacks are technically over-represented. What ever happened to the apparently obsolete notion that a color-blind society meant hiring the person best qualified for the job irrespective of color?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #626 on: June 14, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »
From a text message conversation that started about the riots and eventually made it's way to slavery and it's effects that I had with a few friends.  This was the black guy's take.

Quote from: Equanio
Yes the idea of slavery being tied to skin color was very much a new twist to it.

I think it stems from the European colonist coming from a feudal cast system defaulting to a similar system but based upon skin color. And it's an easy sell. And the poor whites liked it because where as in Europe they were the bottom of the system now in America they aren't. They can now look down on slaves and of course the"savage" Natives.

The similar situation today is in the Apologizing for your white privilege.

The person apologizing thinks that they are better than the Black, that they have a higher station in society solely because of thier skin color. A black that accepts that apology is validation of the view that the white is better than the Black.

This is a new tactic in Democrat 150-year history of controlling Blacks.

Perhaps I shouldn't contradict someone who (judging by his name) was actually there, but I think racism arose from the circumstances of the time. Europeans, for whatever reason, had made significant advances in technology, science, philosophy, and other areas than the rest of the world. Navigation was one of those areas, so they traveled around, seeing how "backward" the other "races" were, compared to them. It was an age that looked for naturalistic, scientific reasons for things, so Europeans chalked it up to the physical differences between themselves and others. It so happened that Africans were ready to offer up other Africans as slaves, so they got pegged as the slave race. And if you make it illegal to teach them anything but drudge work and housekeeping, then they also end up looking dim-witted and in need of guidance.

After a few hundred years, it's hard on both sides to come back from all that ugliness.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #627 on: June 14, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »
What ever happened to the apparently obsolete notion that a color-blind society meant hiring the person best qualified for the job irrespective of color?

This kind of nonsense is what happened to it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/culturally-speaking/201112/colorblind-ideology-is-form-racism

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #629 on: June 14, 2020, 05:39:50 PM »

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/culturally-speaking/201112/colorblind-ideology-is-form-racism

Nonsense indeed.

However, colorblindness alone is not sufficient to heal racial wounds on a national or personal level. It is only a half-measure that in the end operates as a form of racism.

So making a conscious effort NOT to be racist is racist. Thanks for clarifying that.

Racism? Strong words, yes, but let's look the issue straight in its partially unseeing eye. In a colorblind society, white people, who are unlikely to experience disadvantages due to race, can effectively ignore racism in American life, justify the current social order, and feel more comfortable with their relatively privileged standing in society (Fryberg, 2010).

BS. BS as soon as you see the words "white people who are unlikely to experience disadvantage due to race." Why? Because disadvantage and advantage are not predicated on race alone. There are millions of whites in this country who experience disadvantage, maybe because they don't come from wealthy families, maybe because they didn't go to the "right" schools, maybe because of their accent, maybe because they're dumb, maybe because they're fat, maybe because they're not "beautiful" (enough) -- gazillions of reasons. I find it fascinating that the SJWs seem to be of two minds with regard to Hispanics/Latinos. When it suits their purpose, all Latinos/Hispanics are "people of color." But, at other times, only Black Hispanics are "people of color," and other Latinos/Hispanics are lumped in with the privileged class -- which, around here anyway, they aren't a part of.

My late wife was a Latina. She was very clear about it. She was a Latina, because she was from Latin America. She was NOT a Hispanic, because she was not from Spain. Claro?

Most minorities, however, who regularly encounter difficulties due to race, experience colorblind ideologies quite differently. Colorblindness creates a society that denies their negative racial experiences, rejects their cultural heritage, and invalidates their unique perspectives.

There is nothing about color blindness that in any way rejects cultural heritage or invalidates anyone's perspective. Equal opportunity is equal opportunity. It has nothing to do with a person's cultural heritage or perspective. I've worked in two different offices in which the office manager was a female Native American. Both were enrolled members of their respective tribes -- they were the real deal. They knew their heritage, they had their perspective ... but they didn't wave it like a flag 24/7/365, and nobody rejected their heritage or tried to invalidate their perspective. In another office, the bookkeeper was Italian-American. I think her parents were first generation -- the family spoke Italian at home, not English. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that her parents probably experienced at least as much discrimination as most blacks in this region ever experience.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #630 on: June 14, 2020, 06:02:18 PM »
maybe because of their accent, maybe because they're dumb, maybe because they're fat, maybe because they're not "beautiful"

I got 3 outa 4 there (and there are some that would say 4 outa 4)  :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #632 on: June 14, 2020, 06:43:44 PM »

Perhaps I shouldn't contradict someone who (judging by his name) was actually there, but I think racism arose from the circumstances of the time. Europeans, for whatever reason, had made significant advances in technology, science, philosophy

"Guns, Germs and Steel"

, and other areas than the rest of the world. Navigation was one of those areas, so they traveled around, seeing how "backward" the other "races" were, compared to them. It was an age that looked for naturalistic, scientific reasons for things,

Except that they would have been well aware of India, China, & Ethopia, as ancient and relatively advanced cultures.

so Europeans chalked it up to the physical differences between themselves and others. It so happened that Africans were ready to offer up other Africans as slaves, so they got pegged as the slave race.

I think that's probably closer to it.  Sub-Saharan Africans were convenient.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #633 on: June 14, 2020, 06:46:32 PM »
BS. BS as soon as you see the words "white people who are unlikely to experience disadvantage due to race." Why? Because disadvantage and advantage are not predicated on race alone. There are millions of whites in this country who experience disadvantage, maybe because they don't come from wealthy families, maybe because they didn't go to the "right" schools, maybe because of their accent, maybe because they're dumb, maybe because they're fat, maybe because they're not "beautiful" (enough) -- gazillions of reasons.

They only see skin color, and sex.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #634 on: June 14, 2020, 07:16:50 PM »
Which black lives matter? There are over 1000 black ethnicities with their own cultures and language.

Which whites have privilege? There may not be 1000 white etnicities but there are a lot.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 07:54:24 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #635 on: June 14, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »
He points out that homicide-victimization rates for black men were 3.9 times the national average and that 52 percent of all known homicide victims were black (2017 data). He might have added that the perpetrators of these crimes were overwhelmingly African Americans. In 2018, where the homicide victim was black, the suspected killer also was 88 percent of the time. And this is not an exceptional situation. From 1976 to 2005, 94 percent of black victims were killed by other African Americans. In fact, as I will demonstrate, high rates of black-on-black killing have been the norm for well over a century. But this is not an issue Abt wants to address.
https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2019/12/22/the-need-to-discuss-black-on-black-crime/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #636 on: June 14, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »
Throw an LED into it too:
https://www.amazon.com/LudoPam-Maglite-Conversion-Upgrade-Flashlight/dp/B07W6V66LZ

6D is too big and heavy.  4D is the right length but too bulky.  5C was perfect.  (Mag sent me a 4C replacement, but it's a little too short)  And they are not that great as flashlights.  So I carry a little LED flashlight with lithium batteries that turns night into day.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #637 on: June 14, 2020, 08:08:59 PM »
Which black lives matter? There are over 1000 black ethnicities with their own cultures and language.

Which whites have privilege? There may not be 1000 white etnicities but there are a lot.

"Or do we all look alike to you?"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #638 on: June 14, 2020, 08:41:20 PM »
My brainwashed far left cousin insists that Trump and the federal government is planting rioters in Antifa and the protests to frame the left for a crackdown

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2020, 12:05:24 AM »
My brainwashed far left cousin insists that Trump and the federal government is planting rioters in Antifa and the protests to frame the left for a crackdown

CNN: Totally true
Snopes: Mostly true
Bill Clinton: I did not have sex with that woman
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
« Reply #641 on: June 15, 2020, 10:00:16 AM »

I wonder if she respects Dr. King's work even though she disagrees with his goal?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »
I wonder if she respects Dr. King's work even though she disagrees with his goal?

Be willing to bet money that if you quoted some of MLK's speeches without telling her who said it she would label much of it racist. You know, crazy things like judging people by their character and not by the color of their skin and blacks and whites standing together. Then when you told her who said it she would call you racist for quoting it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2020, 10:23:28 AM »
That's my first thought everytime night sticks or batons are brought up.  There's a reason we moved away from them.

The issue is that cops go to weapons to often, and don't take proper care in their use of force.  Changing which weapon they go to doesn't fix the underlying issue.
I bring up batons or sticks because everyone seems to get upset that cops go to guns too quickly.  How many less lethal options can we give them?  They all require training and discretion in their use.  Even hands on tactics (jiu jitsu) that some people recommend still require good judgement.  

The biggest problem I have on the other side is all this is encouraging suspects to wrestle and fight with police.  You can argue that the guy in Atlanta shouldn't have been shot when pointing a taser back at police, but that was after a few minutes of fighting already happened.  It sure seems the consequences of doing this don't scare the suspects too much.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:32:36 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2020, 10:55:18 AM »
What percentage of blacks involved in police shootings were/are career criminals and/or have extensive records? Whites?
In Non police shootings?

Safe to say not being a criminal greatly reduces your chance of being shot by a police officer or otherwise.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2020, 01:19:16 PM »
Relevant to our discussions on Qualified Immunity:

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/15/876853817/supreme-court-will-not-re-examine-doctrine-that-shields-police-in-misconduct-sui

I suspect we will need carefully crafted, narrow legislation that then survives a court challenge to see any real reform on this issue.

Sadly, carefully crafted narrow legislation doesn't seem to be in our legislature's wheelhouse.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #647 on: June 15, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »
I bring up batons or sticks because everyone seems to get upset that cops go to guns too quickly.  How many less lethal options can we give them?  They all require training and discretion in their use.  Even hands on tactics (jiu jitsu) that some people recommend still require good judgement.  

The biggest problem I have on the other side is all this is encouraging suspects to wrestle and fight with police.  You can argue that the guy in Atlanta shouldn't have been shot when pointing a taser back at police, but that was after a few minutes of fighting already happened.  It sure seems the consequences of doing this don't scare the suspects too much.

Only Joe Biden can solve the dilemma.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #648 on: June 15, 2020, 04:13:14 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #649 on: June 16, 2020, 08:04:30 AM »
"Don't whine when people ask you what you're blathering about. Which incident in St. Louis are you talking about? "

I'll say again, more googling, less bitching and stop being a lazy prat. If you do a little of your own work I'm sure you can figure out a way to turn it into an abortion debate.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.