Author Topic: Dog Harnesses for Hiking?  (Read 866 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dog Harnesses for Hiking?
« on: May 28, 2020, 10:46:29 AM »
Do any of you have dog harnesses for hiking?

I've got Steve in dog school right now to get him better socialized for beers in Boise, but also to take him on one of my favorite activities that I haven't been able to do since I moved - long day hikes and tactical trout assaults.

Since hiking isn't like loose leash walking in the city, I'd like to save his neck with a harness for those areas that require a leash. Also, frankly, I wouldn't mind using him for "dog assist" on the uphills.  :laugh:

I'm thinking something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ICEFANG-Tactical-Harness-Military-CB-Molle/dp/B078N3JYW1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1590676984&sr=8-1&srs=20769045011

I don't plan on weighing him down with a bunch of stuff, but if he can carry his collapsible water bowl, snacks, and his first aid kit, a harness that allows for that would be cool.

Anyway, if anyone uses harnesses for hiking, input is appreciated.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Dog Harnesses for Hiking?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 11:03:35 AM »
Not really what you asked, but I am really not a fan of harnesses for normal dog walking. Harnesses are for pulling, collars are for walking.

I especially wouldn't try to use him for dog assist on uphills unless you are OK with him pulling on his leash normally.  I've managed to train dogs (Sled dogs and house dogs both) the difference between harness (pull now) and collar(don't pull) but it takes some work and a dog that wants to learn.  I watched a ton of people try and skijour with their house dogs and destroy good leash manners.

It has been my observation of the dog folks in FL at least that harnesses and gentle leaders both are crutches for folks that are unwilling to train their dogs properly.  Not to mention that if the dog does see something that sends all their training out of their little doggy brain a harness gives them a much better platform to jerk you around with.

YMMV

My house dogs, when they were young enough to hike, carried their own snacks and water in one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-K-9-Pack-Caribe-Medium/dp/B07MQ3J4GV/  Although mine is not quite that cool, as it was several years ago model.

There's also room in there for spare mags.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
SWMBO is thinking about getting a harness or vest that would allow our dogs to carry water on our walks with them.  From what she has read, dogs like knowing they are doing something useful carrying stuff.  Don't know how true it is, but seems worth a try.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 11:10:48 AM »
SWMBO is thinking about getting a harness or vest that would allow our dogs to carry water on our walks with them.  From what she has read, dogs like knowing they are doing something useful carrying stuff.  Don't know how true it is, but seems worth a try.

Most dogs I've had,especially the GSDs like to be helpful. I don't know about carrying stuff, but they always put there noses into anything I'm working on trying to 'help'.  :rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 11:18:22 AM »
Not really what you asked, but I am really not a fan of harnesses for normal dog walking. Harnesses are for pulling, collars are for walking.

I especially wouldn't try to use him for dog assist on uphills unless you are OK with him pulling on his leash normally.  I've managed to train dogs (Sled dogs and house dogs both) the difference between harness (pull now) and collar(don't pull) but it takes some work and a dog that wants to learn.  I watched a ton of people try and skijour with their house dogs and destroy good leash manners.

It has been my observation of the dog folks in FL at least that harnesses and gentle leaders both are crutches for folks that are unwilling to train their dogs properly.  Not to mention that if the dog does see something that sends all their training out of their little doggy brain a harness gives them a much better platform to jerk you around with.

YMMV

My house dogs, when they were young enough to hike, carried their own snacks and water in one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-K-9-Pack-Caribe-Medium/dp/B07MQ3J4GV/  Although mine is not quite that cool, as it was several years ago model.

There's also room in there for spare mags.

No, you make good points. I absolutely don't want a harness for walking. I've already got him loose leash walking well (except we're working on distractions now in dog school) with a regular collar and leash.

I think he's smart enough that I could teach him the difference between "pull" and "no pull", based on him recognizing that collar and harness are different, but you make a good point, and I absolutely don't want to lose his loose leash manners, especially since we're currently refining them. Given that at home he has 40 acres to roam on, he's been really good about knowing how far he can go leash free, and what he has to do once the collar goes around his neck. I'd hope I could transition that to the harness.

Though the pulling me up slopes was more of a joke, but I expect that on rough steep trails, some of that is going to just happen given the terrain, which is why  Iwas looking at a harness, as I would have a fear that slipping or otherwise tricky terrain could lead to throat damage with a collar.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.