Author Topic: Covid Anecdote  (Read 2595 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Covid Anecdote
« on: June 03, 2020, 03:20:22 PM »
I have a new golden retriever puppy.  I took my boy and the pup to the vet for a 10 week checkup today.  Normally I wouldn't bring my boy to the vet but he's got a phobia of shots and I figured seeing the puppy get shots and not make a deal out of it would be good for him.

We arrive about 5 minutes before the appointment, and the receptionist gives me a ration of crap about not having a mask.  She asks me to wait out in the car until the appointment.

It's a big production to take a 6 year old and a non-leash-trained puppy across a blistering hot AZ parking lot.  The dog is dancing and angry, the boy is distracted by everything and not paying attention to traffic, etc.  Doing that for a 3-5 minute wait for a vet appointment is ridiculous, and I told her that.  I also pointed out the extremely poor fit of her mask, and that I could see her nostrils even when she wasn't talking.  She damn near flinched at the fisking I put her through.  Then I went and sat at the far end of the waiting room.  It's probably 30 feet across, with 1 other person at the far side of it.

I'm so over covid overreactions.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Covid Anecdote
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:25:55 PM »
The Branch Covidians are, I think, finally losing their grip on the public.
Formerly sumpnz

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 03:29:52 PM »
In particular, what's grating at me is the masks.  I grok they stop phlegmy cough discharges and such, even not being true particulate filters.

But I rely so much on facial expression in understanding communication.  Never really realized it until the last month or so.  Not seeing mouth angles, cheek curves and such, really impedes communication.

It's a massive social disconnect.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 04:58:49 PM »
I just don't wear a mask and frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.  No one has said one thing to me and I keep my distance from other critters and always have.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:38:06 PM »
Our governor has ordered that we wear masks in public.

The NEJM has come out that mask wearing is largely symbolic for healthy people. 

In the interests of being a good citizen, I dutifully wear a mask as our idiot governor has ordered.

It's on my wrist. Doing just as much symbolism there as on my face.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 06:31:00 PM »
I've only been wearing them since the Governor made the order. Mostly because I don't want to be a headache to the lowly serfs expected to enforce this BS. It's one thing to be opposed to it, but not at the expense at some poor working stiff under orders from Karen type manager to confront people over it for $8 an hour.

I don't have a problem at work, because I only wear it for limited stretches when I'm outside and dealing directly with customers, but when I'm shopping after about 10 minutes I start getting light headed.
And the thing is, if I had it, I'm pretty sure I'd end up in the hospital as soon as the symptoms came on, so it's not like I'd really have the chance to spread it around.

=| As far as I can tell, bureaucrats and red tape policies that don't translate into the real world aren't helping anyone, and making those of us who do want to contain the virus effectively not want to cooperate. 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 06:39:36 PM »
I heard from a friend of my late wife last night that her (the friend's) sister-in-law died Sunday from COVID-19. She was 59 years old and had been in good health. She had been seen by a doctor just a week before they rushed her to the emergency room, and he didn't think she had symptoms.

I guess I take this more seriously than many of you seem to.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 06:53:49 PM »
I heard from a friend of my late wife last night that her (the friend's) sister-in-law died Sunday from COVID-19. She was 59 years old and had been in good health. She had been seen by a doctor just a week before they rushed her to the emergency room, and he didn't think she had symptoms.

I guess I take this more seriously than many of you seem to.

My body literally does not respond to stress. Trust me. I take it seriously.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 07:15:12 PM »

But I rely so much on facial expression in understanding communication.  Never really realized it until the last month or so.  Not seeing mouth angles, cheek curves and such, really impedes communication.

For my wife and I, both hard of hearing, being unable to read lips has really trashed our verbal comprehension of others speaking.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 07:26:53 PM »
For my wife and I, both hard of hearing, being unable to read lips has really trashed our verbal comprehension of others speaking.

This. I have hearing loss in both ears. She's  deaf in the right ear. I didn't realize how much I depended on watching a person's mouth/face as they talked to be able to understand them.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 09:25:05 PM »

https://www.theclearmask.com/product

https://www.etsy.com/listing/780905068/face-mask-with-clear-vinyl-mouth-cover

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 11:03:28 PM »
I had to "draw" a smile on my mask with an index finger to indicate to someone I was kidding with one of my obscure wisecracks.

I noticed the same thing about lip reading, myself.  I used to have to ask people to look at me when speaking so I could "hear" them.  (Mostly just when there was background noise.)

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 11:35:50 PM »
I don't care about facial expressions. I just wish people would speak up when they're wearing the things. I feel like Charlie Brown.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 12:10:34 AM »
The mask thing felt very weird to me.  I don't know, I'm just... uncomfortable wearing a mask around people.

It is becoming more normal, I guess.  Menards requires it, and that's 90% of where I go.  It's their store, and I accept that I need to wear a mask to be there.  So, okay.

With the start of cooling season, I had a bit of an internal debate about mask wearing on service calls.  One of my first calls of the season was to a rental property.  I know the owner well, and he takes the covid precautions very seriously.  So, I wore a mask to that service call.  The tenants didn't have masks on, and the lady commented to her husband "Oh!  Masks..."

I politely explained that I was wearing a mask because I didn't want to inadvertently spread disease in their home.  Preforming service, I may become sick and not know it, so my mask wearing was me being respectful of them and their home.  Same as I wouldn't want to track mud in on my boots.  I said that they could wear a mask if they wished, or not, and I was fine with either way, but that I would attempt to maintain social distance.

That was well received, and is how I've moved forward with being in the home service industry during a pandemic.

I think facial expressions are a thing.  I have caught myself showing a smile in certain social situations wearing a mask, and realized in that moment only I know I'm smiling.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 01:59:20 AM »
The burner on my boiler (which also takes care of my hot water) cut out a week ago. The service tech wore a mask. I also wore a mask while dealing with him, and we both did our best to maintain proper distance.

I don't know if his wearing a mask was his preference or company policy but I think it's company policy.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »
Masks are the new health theater- the medical equivalent of the TSA. "we're so SAFE!"

A lot of people around here wear them- homemade, big gaps around the chin and nose, pulled down to expose the nostrils, over beards, constantly readjusting, the best description I heard was that it was like putting up a chain link fence to stop gnats.

I also hate the obscuring of expression-  went to see my doc where they were wearing them and it was weird- not seeing expressions is like eating a meal with no spice..

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 12:15:31 PM »
I got a Brother adhesive label maker out,  printed out a label and plastered it across a mask.

It says, in bold black letters "ANDROMEDA MASK CO."    >:D

'Cuz,  ya know,  I am an evil snarky s.o.b.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 01:19:29 PM »
I got a Brother adhesive label maker out,  printed out a label and plastered it across a mask.

It says, in bold black letters "ANDROMEDA MASK CO."    >:D

'Cuz,  ya know,  I am an evil snarky s.o.b.

So your mask is an Andromeda Strain(er)?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 01:23:56 PM »
I haven't seen a mask in my town in a month. Unless I look in my backseat.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »
I haven't seen a mask in my town in a month. Unless I look in my backseat.
I see some, but it is something like 10%.  Most people aren't wearing them. 

What most people are still doing is the distancing thing.  People are spreading out more when in line and generally allowing more space in public.  Also, I don't see people shaking hands unless they know each other well.
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 07:29:46 PM »
I refuse to play along.

It's pointless virtue signalling and if we all just go along to get along the aholes win.

I do wear a Batman mask when going to Menards.  They mandated a mask,  I comply.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 07:31:25 PM »
One good thing about forcing people to wear masks is that many are finding out how bad their breath stinks.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »
The cop shop wants me to wear a mask to come in and do a change of address on my carry permit. Maybe I should try to find an MF Doom mask.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »
My state mandated masks in public so I wear one even though I (and the WHO) don't think it makes a big difference.  What really bothers me is the inconsistency in policy and enforcement.  In his daily updates I've seen my governor wear a mask, but only lately and only around his neck.  This is in a press conference setting where there are other people, and a sign language translator standing near him.

Although he also set a 10 person max for gatherings, about the protesters he said β€œI hear you,” and that he pledges to stand with them.  No mention of the 10 people rule or mask enforcement for them.

Regardless of the effectiveness of the masks and max people rules, I think the selective enforcement and lack of example turn it in to a farce.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 10:09:07 PM »
The cop shop wants me to wear a mask to come in and do a change of address on my carry permit. Maybe I should try to find an MF Doom mask.

Does a tactical balaclava count as a "mask"?