Author Topic: Investing in the Age of the Chinese Virus  (Read 5135 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Investing in the Age of the Chinese Virus
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »
From the link:

I'm not real worried. The virus reaction was overblown and unprecedented. The above quote is pretty much what has been said all along by the "experts": First and (especially) second quarters will look brutal, but third quarter will be a positive pop. Last week's job numbers were already an unexpected good sign.

With the upswing in the stock market, I have read much commentary that the market apparently thinks it will be a V-shaped recovery instead of a U-shaped recovery. This has confounded the economists.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2020, 11:17:13 AM »
With the upswing in the stock market, I have read much commentary that the market apparently thinks it will be a V-shaped recovery instead of a U-shaped recovery. This has confounded the economists.

Regarding your previous link regarding the recession, interesting commentary this morning suggested that the recession has come and gone, starting in FEB and ending in MAY. There seem to be good indicators of that, though we're certainly still in "unknown territory" and anything can happen.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »
I made some juggles in the 401k on the downswing and again on the upswing. I'm back in the green for the year by a little shy of 2% as of right now.

I just worked out the numbers and had I simply gone for leaving it alone to ride out and I'd still be pretty deep into the red had I done so. So I'll take it. I'd actually be having a darn good year for the 401k had I made the same moves a little earlier.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2020, 07:42:35 AM »
I bought a bunch of Occidental Petroleum stock...

Just in time for it to tank in the latest down cycle.

Sigh.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
What do you think burning down cities is?

Peaceful protest.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2020, 08:18:41 AM »

The stock market is emotionally driven in large part.  Maybe the majority of momentum, in either direction, is based on feelings rather than facts.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?