Author Topic: Another home modem/router question.  (Read 1120 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Another home modem/router question.
« on: July 10, 2020, 08:05:56 AM »
I recently changed my Comcast/Xfinity service from internet, TV, and phone service to internet only.  The Xfinity supplied modem supported all three services, but I don't need that anymore and I don't want to rent their modem since I don't need to.

Xfinity has a list of approved devices here: (edit: looks like I have to be signed in to see that list.)    My internet plan is for 300 mbps, so the new device needs to support that.

The cable entry point to my house is in the basement and it has a short length of coax cable to the current modem, so it looks like the new modem/router/wifi point will have to stay in that location unless there is a way to relocate it.  If possible, I would like to have a device on the main floor of my house to increase the wifi coverage around the house. There is a Cat 6 cable run from my office to the basement Xfinity modem.

I'm willing to pay more for a quality modem/router/whatever rather than buying the cheapest product.  

Whatcha got in mind?

edited to Cat 6 cable.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:48:49 AM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Another home modem/router question.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 08:26:45 AM »
1st question...CAT 5 or CAT 5e?

ETA: 2nd question...Have you considered a Mesh Wifi network?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:33:21 AM »
I went with an Orbi + 2 satellites package. My fixed wireless service wasn't even approved for it (they weren't against it, just hadn't tested the relatively new hardware yet), but when the tech installed my antenna,  he hung out with me to set up the router and make sure it worked with their system. I've been happy with it. I have the main unit in my office, one satellite next to the TV in the living room acting as a cabled router for all the video stuff, and the 2nd satellite next to a window upstairs. I've got good wireless all the way to my shop.

Orbi also makes an all weather satellite for outdoor mounting. Kinda expensive at around $300, but am maybe gonna get one and mount it to the top of my shop to extend my outdoor wireless. You can get cheaper outdoor extenders, but the Orbi one will of course seamlessly tie into the current system.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 08:48:09 AM »
1st question...CAT 5 or CAT 5e?

ETA: 2nd question...Have you considered a Mesh Wifi network?

Cat 6, actually.  Just checked.

Haven't considered anything, yet.   I'm looking for a balance of security, speed, ease of use, and installation.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 08:53:57 AM »
Cat 6, actually.  Just checked.

Haven't considered anything, yet.   I'm looking for a balance of security, speed, ease of use, and installation.

CAT 6 is good, that will give you the 1Gbps speed that you need to connect the cable modem to the router.

What is the Sq Ft of your house?

ETA: When you checked the cable was the CAT6 on the plug or the actual cable?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 08:55:35 AM »
I got an Orbi and it's great.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »
CAT 6 is good, that will give you the 1Gbps speed that you need to connect the cable modem to the router.

What is the Sq Ft of your house?

ETA: When you checked the cable was the CAT6 on the plug or the actual cable?

Cat 6 on cable.

About 2,600 sqft plus basement.  2 story.  Wood frame, no steel, concrete, or brick other than the basement foundation.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 10:07:32 AM »
I got an Orbi and it's great.

Does that one and other mesh network devices come with the modem/router/magic pixie dust box? 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 10:10:20 AM »
Does that one and other mesh network devices come with the modem/router/magic pixie dust box? 

There is a main router, then the satellites mesh with that. It also comes with a guest network. I won't buy a system without that. Not just for guests, but also for smart devices, etc.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 10:18:11 AM »
Cat 6 on cable.

About 2,600 sqft plus basement.  2 story.  Wood frame, no steel, concrete, or brick other than the basement foundation.

Good.  Yea, a mesh network is the way to go.  I don't have any experience with a home mesh, but it seems that Ben and Zahc have that angle covered.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 10:58:45 AM »
My Netgear cable modem and ASUS RT AC 1900 router covers our 2200 square foot rambler and the yard with good signal coverage.  The router can be configured for a mesh setup but it turned out that I did not need to do that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 11:07:43 AM »
I second Millcreek's plug for the Asus RT AC 1900 router.  We have one and it covers our large house quite well.  My phone even stays connected to it outside at the edges of our property.
The router has a nice selection of handy features as well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 03:07:03 PM »
There is a main router, then the satellites mesh with that. It also comes with a guest network. I won't buy a system without that. Not just for guests, but also for smart devices, etc.

You router is also a cable modem?  That is what I want to replace.  I can't find an Orbi modem and mesh network in one package.  Looks like I need a modem and then the Orbi mesh.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 03:15:39 PM »
You router is also a cable modem?  That is what I want to replace.  I can't find an Orbi modem and mesh network in one package.  Looks like I need a modem and then the Orbi mesh.

Oh, sorry. I thought you just needed the router. No, the Orbi mesh router would plug in after the modem. I haven't had cable in a long time, but used to buy the Motorola Surfboards as my modem versus lease from the cable company.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 03:34:22 PM »
Fortunately my house is small enough, and my router central enough, that it has no problems reaching everywhere.

My Mom's house, on the other hand? Huge Victorian with brick and plaster walls. That thing was a pain in the ass to get a signal through.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 05:50:11 PM »
I have one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Download-960Mbps-Certified-CM600-1AZNAS/dp/B06XGZBCKP

It usually pulls about 450mbs on my 400mbs service, has been rock solid and hasn't  been rebooted since I got it for Christmas. Plus, it does not have the Intel Puma chipset that most mid range modems seem to use. That chip can cause issues with gaming; but is probably fine for everyday use.