Author Topic: Portland ...  (Read 58472 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Portland ...
« Reply #500 on: April 18, 2023, 02:10:07 PM »
I wonder if there's been some kind of inflection point.

Crime and burglary has been building for years, but it seems like all of a sudden, this winter, a bunch of big businesses are bailing out of several large cities. cities that were previously progressive beacons.  SF, Portland, Chicago....all going the way of an urban wasteland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #501 on: April 18, 2023, 02:14:01 PM »
Getting exactly what they voted for, good and hard.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #502 on: April 18, 2023, 02:16:08 PM »
So, a huge number of stores are closing in Portland and other cities in areas that have been crushed by crime.

The same thing happened in many major cities after the 1968 riots and the crime flood of the 1970s.

Which lead to vast areas and populations of cities that were commerce wastelands.

Which led to a growing movement of people decrying the "corporate racism" of these companies refusing to serve these generally minority communities.

Which led to companies slowly moving back into these areas to serve those communities.

Now we're seeing corporate flight, again due largely to massive increases in crime making it virtually impossible for those stores to do business.

The rat wheel continues to turn.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #503 on: April 18, 2023, 02:36:30 PM »
I wonder if there's been some kind of inflection point.

Crime and burglary has been building for years, but it seems like all of a sudden, this winter, a bunch of big businesses are bailing out of several large cities. cities that were previously progressive beacons.  SF, Portland, Chicago....all going the way of an urban wasteland.

Yet the usual politicians, MSM talking heads, and interestingly, many internet forums, etc. have a ton of people saying that this is all fake news - from the stores closing, to the crime and riots. There are still likely more people than not (at least on the internet) talking about what a wonderful city Portland is and how people are making a mountain out of a molehill.

The fact the uber-liberal REI is calling it quits is pretty interesting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #504 on: April 18, 2023, 03:44:17 PM »
Yet the usual politicians, MSM talking heads, and interestingly, many internet forums, etc. have a ton of people saying that this is all fake news - from the stores closing, to the crime and riots.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #505 on: April 18, 2023, 03:45:35 PM »
Yet the usual politicians, MSM talking heads, and interestingly, many internet forums, etc. have a ton of people saying that this is all fake news -

Mostly fake
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2023, 07:57:34 AM »
Yet the usual politicians, MSM talking heads, and interestingly, many internet forums, etc. have a ton of people saying that this is all fake news - from the stores closing, to the crime and riots.
These are the same people who said Hunter's laptop was Russian disinformation, the Steele dossier was credible, Covid absolutely, positively DID NOT come from a lab leak in Wuhan, and our southern border is secure.

I find that very reassuring.   :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #507 on: April 23, 2023, 11:51:24 AM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #508 on: April 23, 2023, 12:33:34 PM »
No more Walmarts in Portland:

https://twitter.com/4mischief/status/1649991970125762562

More room for the homeless and drug addicts
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #509 on: April 23, 2023, 01:17:25 PM »
I wonder how long before Target leaves as well.
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #510 on: April 24, 2023, 08:16:30 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #511 on: April 24, 2023, 10:39:21 PM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #512 on: April 24, 2023, 11:03:12 PM »
I notice nobody seems to be shopping there . . .

It would be a real PITA
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #513 on: April 27, 2023, 08:36:42 PM »
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #514 on: April 28, 2023, 11:04:49 AM »
Portland related since homeless camps are a huge problem in Portland

Oregon wants to give the homeless the right to sue if they're asked, sorry "harassed", to move from public property

Oregon House Bill 3501, known as the Right to Rest Act, states that homeless individuals will have "a privacy interest and a reasonable expectation of privacy in any property belonging to the person, regardless of whether the property is located in a public space."

The bill also allows homeless individuals to sue for up to $1,000 if they are "harassed" or told to relocate.

The bill says that "persons experiencing homelessness" will "be permitted to use public spaces in the same manner as any other person without discrimination based on their housing status" and states that homeless individuals have a right to "move freely in public spaces without discrimination and time limitations that are based on housing status."

Oregon Democrats propose 'Right to Rest Act' decriminalizing public camping as homeless crisis surges
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-democrats-propose-right-rest-act-decriminalizing-public-camping-homeless-crisis-surges
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #515 on: April 28, 2023, 11:12:20 AM »
Portland related since homeless camps are a huge problem in Portland

Oregon wants to give the homeless the right to sue if they're asked, sorry "harassed", to move from public property

Oregon Democrats propose 'Right to Rest Act' decriminalizing public camping as homeless crisis surges
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-democrats-propose-right-rest-act-decriminalizing-public-camping-homeless-crisis-surges

I'm shocked that Oregon thought of this *expletive deleted*it first, and not California.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #516 on: April 28, 2023, 11:22:45 AM »
I'm shocked that Oregon thought of this *expletive deleted*it first, and not California.

Oregon and Washington have been making CA look like a deep red state of late. I don't think that there are any other states right now where urban control of the entire state is this bad.

It's really sad to see. I still remember how much I liked going to the WA coast for work 20 years ago. Liberal, yeah, but they were nice and not in your face about it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #517 on: July 29, 2023, 12:28:25 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/29/us/portland-oregon-fentanyl-homeless.html

You could substitute the word 'Seattle' for 'Portland' in this article and it would still be accurate.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #518 on: July 29, 2023, 03:42:55 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/29/us/portland-oregon-fentanyl-homeless.html

You could substitute the word 'Seattle' for 'Portland' in this article and it would still be accurate.

=( Sad article.  But, as you say, substituting Seattle, San Diego, SF, LA, St. Louis, etc. and it would essentially read the same.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #520 on: July 30, 2023, 05:38:35 AM »
Hmm.
 https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-homeless-crisis-multiple-explosive-devices-used-in-bombing-at-fentanyl-tent-encampment-harborview-medical-center-hospital-police-drug-trafficking-drugs-dealers-king-county-washington-state

I guess my "St Valentine's Day Massacre Theory" works, even today.  Give them all guns and any other weapons and let them kill each other off.  Then go after the one remaining kingpin for tax evasion.

Give Darwinian processes a free hand, I say.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 05:59:32 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #521 on: July 30, 2023, 08:10:36 AM »
Obviously Donald Trump and Kyle Rittenhouse have formed a far-right fascist militia and have declared war on mostly peaceful unhoused recreationalists.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #522 on: July 30, 2023, 02:52:16 PM »
It's common to blame homelessness on "liberal" policies. Yet I never hear what solutions conservatives offer. If anything, conservatives tend to oppose anything that could plausibly reduce the problem. If they have a solution, why don't conservatives pitch those solutions and thereby gain political power as a result? Is this another case of conservatives vaguely associating something bad with opposition without actually proposing any solution? Because that seems to be the real platform of the republican party nowadays.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #523 on: July 30, 2023, 03:11:17 PM »
It's common to blame homelessness on "liberal" policies. Yet I never hear what solutions conservatives offer. If anything, conservatives tend to oppose anything that could plausibly reduce the problem. If they have a solution, why don't conservatives pitch those solutions and thereby gain political power as a result? Is this another case of conservatives vaguely associating something bad with opposition without actually proposing any solution? Because that seems to be the real platform of the republican party nowadays.

I suspect it's more of a case of conservatives believing that homelessness is a consequence of decades of liberal policies.  They don't view it as a novel problem that needs addressed, so the answer is more of "you shouldn't have done the things that got you here in the first place"

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #524 on: July 30, 2023, 04:19:54 PM »

We need to take a hard look at inpatient mental healthcare in the US.  Some middle ground between the "no rights, electroshock and lobotomies" of the 50's and "*expletive deleted*ck it we aren't doing it, crazy people are just homeless now" we currently have.

That would help out a lot of the homeless populations.