Author Topic: Portland ...  (Read 58490 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Portland ...
« on: July 13, 2020, 10:25:57 AM »
Apparently federal officers protecting a federal courthouse from rioters is a "occupying army" according to a US Senator.

Also, in the not surprising department, the photo WW uses of "peaceful protesters" doesn't look so peaceful.

https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2020/07/12/oregon-governor-and-senators-condemn-trumps-use-of-occupying-army-on-portland-protesters/

https://reason.com/2020/07/13/homeland-security-acting-like-an-occupying-army-says-sen-wyden-after-federal-agents-shoot-peaceful-portland-protester/

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jim147

• friends
Re: Portland ...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
I think there was video in one the first stories I read showing this peaceful protester winding up to throw something when he was hit in the face.

Call me unsurprised that the story left out that these peaceful protestors have been try to break in and set the place on fire every night.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »
Okay, so they are only mostly peaceful. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 03:09:26 PM »
The "mostly peaceful" description is pretty misleading.  By the same definition, the police response has also been mostly peaceful.  Come to think of it, when you consider that a lot of genuine warfare is spent trying to not get shot, you could even say that many actual battles are "mostly peaceful".
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 04:58:06 PM »
Apparently federal officers protecting a federal courthouse from rioters is a "occupying army" according to a US Senator.

So, like Ft. Sumter.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 06:06:53 PM »
They opened the wrong guy's car door. The takedown looks like some skilz from the foot placement. Funny how big bad outlaw antifa turned to wimps in a hurry.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1282752376898834433

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/07/13/masked-antifa-in-portland-opened-a-black-mans-car-door-and-it-was-a-really-bad-idea-video/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 07:45:29 PM »
They opened the wrong guy's car door. The takedown looks like some skilz from the foot placement. Funny how big bad outlaw antifa turned to wimps in a hurry.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1282752376898834433

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/07/13/masked-antifa-in-portland-opened-a-black-mans-car-door-and-it-was-a-really-bad-idea-video/

The man from the car either used to be a drill sergeant, or he does a VERY good imitation of one.

"Do you understand me? DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 08:35:41 PM »
Love the freaking out over the arrows.  :laugh:  It looks like the guy couldn't get a crowd who wanted to take on the scary black man, so he just decided to quiet down and see if he could help someone find their dropped phone.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 11:24:25 PM »
That was freaking awesome!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »
Portland unveils CHOP 2.0!

Wonder how this one is going to fare...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-protest-autonomous-zone-tents-barricade-seattle-chop-chaz
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 07:05:28 PM »
    Today the Acting Secretary of Homeland Security asked to speak with me about demonstration activity in Portland. He expressed his concern about ongoing violence and asked how his agency can help.

— Mayor Ted Wheeler (@tedwheeler) July 14, 2020

I told the Acting Secretary that my biggest immediate concern is the violence federal officers brought to our streets in recent days, and the life-threatening tactics his agents use. We do not need or want their help.

— Mayor Ted Wheeler (@tedwheeler) July 14, 2020
:facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 09:55:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/sparrowmedia/status/1283436911307218948

(hardly an unbiased source, but still ...)
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 10:21:13 PM »

Look out folks, we got Trump-emboldened vigilantes on the loose

The Sparrow Project
@sparrowmedia
·
Jul 15
Replying to
@sparrowmedia
Now combine these tactics with cities/regions known for Trump-emboldened vigilantes wearing similar gear and you have a very dangerous and unpredictable cocktail.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 11:57:40 PM »

Fed bois are destroying Portland Antifa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EgMijMhS_U

At least some level of law enforcement is taking this stuff seriously.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 07:19:34 AM »
Look out folks, we got Trump-emboldened vigilantes on the loose

They say that like it's a bad thing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 09:21:24 AM »
Fed bois are destroying Portland Antifa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EgMijMhS_U

At least some level of law enforcement is taking this stuff seriously.

Lots of stuff in that video that put a smile on my face and/or otherwise reinforced my opinion that antifa are jackasses.

The one negative out of the way first: In the first scene (which may need more context), I couldn't help but think, in another kind of adminstration, what if I were just standing there peacefully protesting for the 2nd (or even maybe being a pain in the ass), a couple of guys in what looked like unmarked (other than "police")battle rattle came up to me and wordlessly grabbed me and took me away in an unmarked van? I'd be thinking I might be headed for the gulag.

Otherwise,  I don't care about most of downtown Portland burning down. They could stop it, but won't. The Federal building or any other federal property in Portland, however, are paid for with my tax dollars, and I demand that they be taken care of. So the "smile" stuff:

First scene: Assuming the guy was one of the property destroying rioters, it was actually kinda funny watching the two feds march up to him and march him away while the dumb broad was saying, "Use your words!" as if she was talking to a couple of 7 year olds instead of armed men, and somehow thought they gave a *expletive deleted*it about her little psychology ploy.

Asian guy scene: More than most videos I have seen, this shows just how vile and racist the fascist antifa movement is. These are the same people yelling about blaming Asians for the COVID, but here they are playing the "you all look alike to me" game with an innocent guy who, given past incidents, might have ended up beaten near to death because of his race.

The mug shots looked exactly as I expected them to.

The guy trying to hold the door shut to the fed building: Donut said it best: Angry bees.  :laugh:

It looks like Hawkmoon was right regarding that video I posted a couple of days ago of antifa opening the black guy's car door ("Don't ever touch a black man's radio!") - the guy was apparently a drill instructor.

Anyway, good video. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »

This could only be legal for those that make the laws . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 09:41:32 AM »
This could only be legal for those that make the laws . . . .
I figure the guy knew exactly what he was being arrested for.  Also, just because you couldn't hear it on the video doesn't mean they didn't tell him he was under arrest and ID themselves.  There is no requirement they do that for the person holding the camera.

That is the other side I guess.  I hate to make too many assumptions either way.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »
I figure the guy knew exactly what he was being arrested for.  Also, just because you couldn't hear it on the video doesn't mean they didn't tell him he was under arrest and ID themselves.  There is no requirement they do that for the person holding the camera.

That is the other side I guess.  I hate to make too many assumptions either way.

Well yes, I was referring to the footage as presented.  Regardless of words said that we're not aware of, this activity does not bode well for the "No, really, we're not living in a police state" argument . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 10:05:10 AM »
Oh, the other great thing about the videos they take showing what tough and brave freedom fighters they are: The videos become state's evidence at their trials.  :rofl:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 10:35:46 AM »
Well yes, I was referring to the footage as presented.  Regardless of words said that we're not aware of, this activity does not bode well for the "No, really, we're not living in a police state" argument . . .
IMO, that all depends on what they were doing right before this video takes place. 

Would it be better if they were in all blue/black and had big "Federal Agents" patches on their uniforms?    I don't really like the masks, but everyone is wearing them now.  Given how often I see protesters/rioters throwing stuff at police, I would want goggles and/or face shield and helmets also. 

Maybe that is a good question.  Can friendly neighborhood police exist in a place where everyone disrespects them and is sometimes openly hostile?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »
IMO, that all depends on what they were doing right before this video takes place. 

Would it be better if they were in all blue/black and had big "Federal Agents" patches on their uniforms?    I don't really like the masks, but everyone is wearing them now.  Given how often I see protesters/rioters throwing stuff at police, I would want goggles and/or face shield and helmets also. 

Maybe that is a good question.  Can friendly neighborhood police exist in a place where everyone disrespects them and is sometimes openly hostile?

From Angel Eyes link:

Militarized Federal Agents from a patchwork of outside agencies have begun policing Portland (in rented minivans vans) without the explicit approval of the mayor, the state, or local municipalities. This is what that looks like in practice:

They really weren't policing Portland. They were (from the info I have seen) protecting Federal property. I've seen plenty of videos of people hiring security, or just a bunch of armed citizens, guarding private property without "explicit approval".

If the mayor of my town says, "Go ahead and express yourselves by burning down Ben's store - it's only property.", explicit approval can get bent. If possible, I will protect my property whether the mayor approves or not.

Again, I approve of what's happening now given data I have, because it is target defense of Federal (my) property. It would be hypocritical of me though, if I didn't say I would be worried about unmarked uniforms and unmarked vehicles in a different (President Ilhan Omar) administration or government.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 11:46:41 AM »

I'm increasingly not OK with this. I think both the federal and state governments have been overstepping their bounds for a very long time. Protesting and rioting are two different things.  But policing and extra-judicial abduction are also two different things.

To answer your second question, in many places the damage is done and it is too late, regardless of who started the cycle of disrespect, to expect friendly relations between the police and the populace.  There are too many blatantly obvious differences between what the police can get away with and the behaviors the rest of us are allowed to engage in.  There has been too much "us vs. them" for too long. 

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »
Here is a list of what has been done so far to federal property in Portland: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/07/16/acting-secretary-wolf-condemns-rampant-long-lasting-violence-portland
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »
Here is a list of what has been done so far to federal property in Portland: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/07/16/acting-secretary-wolf-condemns-rampant-long-lasting-violence-portland

Portland Police were forced to deploy crowd control spray to disperse a crowd that was throwing animal seed at officers.
I'm guessing that was actually seed intended for feeding birds, but if not then I'm at least impressed by the love that protesters are willing to show to animals.