Author Topic: Kindle has become worthless  (Read 1294 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Kindle has become worthless
« on: July 13, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »
No more Cloud Reader and soon content will not be available to view without an internet connection.

That's what an article I just read said.

I still have access to the cloud reader.

If they are making it impossible to access books when offline they will be useless to me.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
Re: Kindle has become worthless
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 06:15:06 PM »
No more Cloud Reader and soon content will not be available to view without an internet connection.

That's what an article I just read said.

I still have access to the cloud reader.

If they are making it impossible to access books when offline they will be useless to me.

Where is the source on that?  That would be a disaster if true.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 06:21:35 PM »
"Amazon also pulled the ability to read books offline, you need a dedicated internet connection to read."

I can still read my kindle offline... that is not true.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 06:24:25 PM »
"Amazon also pulled the ability to read books offline, you need a dedicated internet connection to read."

I can still read my kindle offline... that is not true.

I just logged off and I also can access my books.

The cloud reader is there for me also.

If they take away offline access there will be hell to pay. That would be a PR nightmare.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 07:13:24 PM »
I can't see them taking away offline access. Probably 80% of Kindle users buy the things to store their libraries and read from wherever, whether mountaintop or airplane. It would indeed be a PR nightmare.

Though they've been *expletive deleted*ing up Amazon Music enough regarding user permissions and access that I guess I wouldn't rule anything out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 09:38:20 PM »
My wife has been on Kindle from the beginning. She will flat light them up if they do this.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 10:04:26 PM »
I think they are talking about the Kindle app for PC and Mac, not actual Kindle devices.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 10:17:01 PM »
I think they are talking about the Kindle app for PC and Mac, not actual Kindle devices.

If so, hopefully not the Android app, because I use that quite a bit when I'm at a doctor or vehicle or whatever appointment where the wait drags out. It's nice to be able to jump to the last read place on a current book on the Kindle and read that on the phone while I'm waiting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 10:56:02 PM »
This looks like its specific to the Cloud Reader, which is a browser extension. It doesn't look like it effects Kindle devices or the PC/Android/Mac apps at all.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 07:39:26 AM »
Admittedly, the article is poorly written.

I guess time will tell.

I use the app on my laptop and phone. I'm offline more than I'm online.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 07:51:11 AM »
This looks like its specific to the Cloud Reader, which is a browser extension. It doesn't look like it effects Kindle devices or the PC/Android/Mac apps at all.

Yep, after reading the article and comments, it is just the browser extension not any Kindle devices or OS specific apps.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 09:45:42 AM »
When online, I prefer to use the "send to kindle" browser extension to send a text version of an article to my kindle reader to read later.  I much prefer reading text on it versus the screen.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 09:57:19 AM »
When online, I prefer to use the "send to kindle" browser extension to send a text version of an article to my kindle reader to read later.  I much prefer reading text on it versus the screen.

Yes, without the Kindle (and  I guess Nooks and such, which I haven't used), I would never be a "screen reader". I just could not read a book on the regular computer, and the phone is just a short term "field expedient" solution. The Kindle screen is simply pleasant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 10:15:05 AM »

Same here. I really don't like trying to read a book on either my phone or on the computer. It just wears on the eyes too much. On my Kindle, however, it's about the same as reading an actual book.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.