Author Topic: This just in: Florida Militia is a [gasp] militia  (Read 1942 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
This just in: Florida Militia is a [gasp] militia
« on: July 15, 2023, 11:23:19 PM »
https://dnyuz.com/2023/07/15/turmoil-in-floridas-new-state-guard-as-some-recruits-quit/

Governor DeSantis decided to reactivate the Florida State Guard, and now people are upset that it's a military-style organization. What's astonishing (and profoundly disappointing) to me is that former military officers apparently don't understand that state guards are military organizations. They are essentially the junior varsity to the National Guard. In my state, the State Guard units train with the National Guard at the same training base, and they train to either work with the NG if the NG is here, or to operate in lieu of the NG if the NG has been called up for federal deployment.

And that's one of the features of state guards. They aren't the National Guard, so they can't be federalized and deployed overseas.

For former military to complain about a state guard being too military is distressing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: This just in: Florida Militia is a [gasp] militia
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 06:28:01 AM »
For former military to complain about a state guard being too military is distressing just stupid.

FIFY

Note that I didn't say "ignorant".
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 07:56:13 AM »
I don't hang with the FL Nasty Girls very much, but a bunch of the Reserve units that I work with were up at Camp Blanding while the State Guard was running one of their classes.

I was told from witnesses that the Guardsman doing it were running it like a bad take on Full Metal Jacket's boot camp.  Lots of screaming and cussing, little substantive training.  One data point from a couple guys watching them run a confidence course.  Take that for what it's worth.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 08:14:05 AM »
For former military to complain about a state guard being too military is distressing.

Nowadays that could merely mean they have a low CEI score
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 03:56:58 PM »
The article said 20% quit or were kicked out.  That seems pretty low for a volunteer organization. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 09:19:10 AM »
The article said 20% quit or were kicked out.  That seems pretty low for a volunteer organization.

Quote from: https://dnyuz.com/2023/07/15/turmoil-in-floridas-new-state-guard-as-some-recruits-quit/
. . . some recruits complaining that what was supposed to be a civilian disaster response organization had become heavily militarized, requiring volunteers to participate in marching drills . . .

A friend of mine was a CAP - Civil Air Patrol - cadet during his youth. He originally joined up to learn about aviation (he eventually became a commercial pilot) but during his CAP "training" he said they did nothing - NOTHING! - related to aviation, all they did was learn how to march. So he - and most of the others in his group - eventually quit in disgust. The last straw was when the leader of the group answered the question "When are we going to learn something related to aviation" by making that day's "training" session calisthenics.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain