Author Topic: Looks like Nick Sandman just won round 2...  (Read 3775 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Looks like Nick Sandman just won round 2...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 12:21:17 PM »
I hope he becomes a very rich young man, and then does something (else) worthwhile.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 12:36:25 PM »
I guess if he was a troubled 16 year old girl and talked about global warming they would not have defamed him.

Glad to see someone succeeding with defamation lawsuits.  Not many go anywhere (that I here about anyway).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 12:40:40 PM »
Good for him! I hope he wins or settles with the other lawsuits as well, most especially Twitter.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 01:13:24 PM »
Awesome.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »
I hope he becomes a very rich young man, and then does something (else) worthwhile.

This follows the multi-million dollar settlement CNN made with the teenager back in January.

Looks like he is off to a good start.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »
It would be even better if the individual reporters who misrepresented the incident were also held personally responsible financially.

And the bishop who was so quick to throw him under the bus ought to cough up some dough, too.

Still, good for him. Hope the settlement amount is leaked, and NOT by him. (Assuming he's under a nondisclosure agreement.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 05:59:47 PM »
It would be even better if the individual reporters who misrepresented the incident were also held personally responsible financially.

This. Because having the corporation pay is zero incentive for the "journalist" to do better. If anything, the journalists that do this crap probably step it up a notch as an FU, since there are no consequences for them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 07:35:34 PM »
From a comment on the story on the Fox News website:  "Ten Bears says there is iron is his lawsuit."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
From a comment on the story on the Fox News website:  "Ten Bears says there is iron is his lawsuit."

Kinda obscure, but I know what you're talking about :)  (so it probably wasn't all that obscure)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 09:31:01 PM »

:laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »
Later, Josey pointed his Garand at some reporters and said, "Get off my lawn!"  Mr. Sandman took that as a sign that his lawsuits would end well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 11:54:34 AM »
The Washington Post has settled a lawsuit brought by the parents of a teenager who alleged that news coverage of the teen’s encounter with a Native American activist on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial last year was defamatory.

The Post admitted no wrongdoing in settling with the family of Nicholas Sandmann, the Covington, Ky., high school student who was involved in the episode during a school trip to Washington in January 2019.

Attorneys for the Sandmanns filed to dismiss the suit Friday morning in federal district court in Covington. Neither side disclosed the terms of the settlement, which foreclosed the possibility of a trial.

That is pretty standard I would assume but without any more info (like $$) how do we know who "won"?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 01:24:58 PM »
Simple. The Post settled. That's a de facto admission that they lost, or conceded defeat and awarded Sandman damages just to make it go away.

Of course they admitted no wrongdoing. That's pretty much a standard position the guilty party takes. Just because they don't admit what they (or their agent) did was a complete charlie foxtrot of monumental proportions, everyone knows that they screwed the pooch big time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 01:46:29 PM »
Simple. The Post settled. That's a de facto admission that they lost, or conceded defeat and awarded Sandman damages just to make it go away.

So if they gave him $75 and a subscription for the year, is that still a win for Sandmann?
I don't think so. The amount matters.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 01:56:25 PM »
So if they gave him $75 and a subscription for the year, is that still a win for Sandmann?
I don't think so. The amount matters.

If he accepted the settlement, then yes it is.  But I don't believe he would accept an offer like that; I think it would be insulting.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 03:15:54 PM »
If he accepted the settlement, then yes it is.  But I don't believe he would accept an offer like that; I think it would be insulting.

Bingo.

"So if they gave him $75 and a subscription for the year, is that still a win for Sandmann?
I don't think so. The amount matters."

How about if we go on what Mr. Sandman himself said instead of rushing to assume that he's some stupid little punk who would be happy with a stick of chewed gum and a half used pencil eraser?

It's pretty clear from his statement the other day that he considers it to be a victory, so who are we to say that it was NOT a victory for him?

He's the one who gets to say "I made the Washington Post my BI***!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 09:09:07 PM »
Big media corps generally do NOT settle defamation lawsuits unless they're pretty sure they're going to lose. It's extremely difficult to win a defamation lawsuit for the plaintiff, and big media companies have a lot of lawyers to make it even harder. They have the means and a lot of incentive to fight these things tooth and nail.

If the Post is settling, it's because they know they'd get hammered if it ever got to trial.

That also means the settlement probably wasn't small.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 09:28:38 PM »
I wish I could recall where I saw it, but somebody pointed out Nick Sandmann is the highest-paid person at CNN or WaPo.  :rofl:

Moar:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/heads-are-going-to-roll-nick-sandmanns-legal-team-threatens-new-action-against-cnn-washington-post-for-allegedly-violating-confidentiality-agreement
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:55:24 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 10:06:19 PM »
I can see settling with one or two for a smaller amount to get the money to pay the lawyers to sue everyone else, but $25K is unlikely I think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 10:06:46 PM »
Big media corps generally do NOT settle defamation lawsuits unless they're pretty sure they're going to lose. It's extremely difficult to win a defamation lawsuit for the plaintiff, and big media companies have a lot of lawyers to make it even harder. They have the means and a lot of incentive to fight these things tooth and nail.

If the Post is settling, it's because they know they'd get hammered if it ever got to trial.

Yeah, this.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 11:51:08 PM »

There's something even scarier, such that even if they thought they'd win at trial they might pay a lot to avoid:

"Discovery"

Although, I'm betting that's why they're sure they would lose...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 07:28:56 AM »
"I wish I could recall where I saw it, but somebody pointed out Nick Sandmann is the highest-paid person at CNN or WaPo.  "

Stealing or Facebook!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 08:34:12 AM »
Another good thing that might come out of this: Mr Potatohead may be out at CNN for breaching the confidentiality clause of the CNN suit just so that he could make more disparaging remarks about Sandman.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/07/27/sad-face-brian-stelter-accused-of-breaching-cnns-confidentiality-agreement-with-nick-sandmann-may-cost-him-his-job/

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 09:58:58 AM »
He probably doesn't have much to worry about. FOX doesn't seem to have a problem hiring CNN alumni that have violated even their low standards.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams