Author Topic: Makes me want to start a business in Louisville,,, not  (Read 2563 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Makes me want to start a business in Louisville,,, not
« on: July 24, 2020, 01:34:32 PM »
This coming from a Councilman elect. And I will bet good money he'll be one of the most vocal about businesses not wanting to build downtown
Portland here we come.  :facepalm:

Let me be very clear. I can’t tell the future. I don’t know what Daniel Cameron is going to come out and say. I don’t know what protesters are going to do. If you are that concerned about your business, then put boards up. But don’t be naive enough to believe that those boards are going to hide the fact that you don’t hire black people. Those boards aren’t going to hide the fact that you don’t carry black products. Those boards don’t hide the fact that you aren’t very welcoming to black people in your business. You can put boards up all day long but they do not hide racism. Your board’s going to product your glass, but it won’t protect (you).
Jecorey Arthur: Councilman-elect offers candid warning to Louisville businesses
https://www.wave3.com/2020/07/24/jecorey-arthur-councilman-elect-offers-candid-warning-louisville-businesses/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Makes me want to start a business in Louisville,,, not
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 01:49:33 PM »
From what I've seen of the protesters rioters, they don't much care if a business caters to black people or employs black people or is owned by black people. If they want to steal your *expletive deleted*it and *expletive deleted*ck up your property they are going to do it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 01:52:25 PM »
After the Cinco de Mayo riots in DC back in the early 1990s the areas affected became a business ghost town. A lot of businesses that were damaged or destroyed didn't reopen. Some of the businesses that weren't damaged/destroyed moved out.

And, of course, it became a multi-year bitch festival about how businesses were ignoring the area.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 02:23:32 PM »
After the Cinco de Mayo riots in DC back in the early 1990s the areas affected became a business ghost town. A lot of businesses that were damaged or destroyed didn't reopen. Some of the businesses that weren't damaged/destroyed moved out.

And, of course, it became a multi-year bitch festival about how businesses were ignoring the area.

Ghost town is the proper response.  The businesses weren't ignoring the area, they were shunning it.  I think I've said here that the Target that was vandalized and looted in Minneapolis should have been abandoned and left unrepaired as an eyesore; a monument to the stupidity of the people who looted it.  Large businesses have deep enough pockets to figuratively tell a community "*expletive deleted*ck you too!" after an incident like that.  And small businesses don't have deep enough pockets to take a chance on rebuilding or opening there.  Let 'em all (the community) starve.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 05:18:32 PM »
. . . The businesses weren't ignoring the area, they were shunning it.  . . .
Why do you think certain areas are (as Michelle Obama lamented some years back) "Food Deserts?"

In many, many cases it's because in prior years riots, arson, looting, and just plain robberies drove businesses away.

Including grocery stores.

Duh.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 05:58:42 PM »
A number of years ago a local chain grocery store responded to the need to fill a void in the food desert in North Tulsa.
IIRC they were robbed at gun point 2-3 times in the first month and on a fairly regular basis until they closed it down less than a year after opening.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 06:19:59 PM »
Some of the problematically non-leftist black intellectuals I've been listening to lately point out that peaceful demonstrations led to the civil rights legislation of the mid-60s, while the riots of the late 60s led to the hollowing out of black neighborhoods in places like Detroit. (Oh, and gentrification is good for minorities and their neighborhoods, too.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 06:44:10 PM »
Some of the problematically non-leftist black intellectuals I've been listening to lately point out that peaceful demonstrations led to the civil rights legislation of the mid-60s, while the riots of the late 60s led to the hollowing out of black neighborhoods in places like Detroit. (Oh, and gentrification is good for minorities and their neighborhoods, too.)

I don't think it's that simple.  I think peaceful protest works better then violence, but only when there's an implied threat of violence if it's ignored.  MLK Jr was more successful than Malcolm X, but he was successful in part because of Malcolm X.  (that's my theory based on not a lot of research)  Otherwise the peaceful movement is just a paper tiger.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »
I don't think it's that simple.  I think peaceful protest works better then violence, but only when there's an implied threat of violence if it's ignored.  MLK Jr was more successful than Malcolm X, but he was successful in part because of Malcolm X.  (that's my theory based on not a lot of research)  Otherwise the peaceful movement is just a paper tiger.

No expert here, so I guess that's possible. I think MLK just seemed like a very decent and reasonable and patriotic guy, and that appealed to a lot of people, and possibly shamed some other people into doing the right thing.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 09:56:32 PM »
MLK was homophobic and should be canceled.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 10:12:06 PM »
MLK was from, like, 50 years ago, and a man. That's reason enough, it seems.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 05:29:51 PM »
I was around and an adult during the days of MLK and Malcomb X, and in LE.  They both were doing the same thing in different ways.  Both were telling black people to clean up their acts and take part in America; get educated, get a job, value family etc.  MLK, at the same time was appealing to whites and blacks to stop considering skin color and build character.  Malcomb X didn't much care what white people did or said.  He didn't much care about white people at all.  He just flat told black people to grab the brass ring themselves and screw the rest of the world.  Which is probably why both of them were murdered.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »
Here's one cartoonist's take on what might have happened if MLK's fate were a bit different - it's an episode of The Boondocks, based on the comic strip of the same name.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7a0es2
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
Here's one cartoonist's take on what might have happened if MLK's fate were a bit different - it's an episode of The Boondocks, based on the comic strip of the same name.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7a0es2

WTF was that??  I liked it.  I think I've seen a couple of those characters before but don't know where.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »
WTF was that??  I liked it.  I think I've seen a couple of those characters before but don't know where.
Aaron McGruder - who is black - drew a comic strip focusing on two black boys being raised by their grandfather. It ran in the newspapers for a while, and became an animated TV show. Both the comic strip and cartoon were named The Boondocks.

I regularly watched the TV cartoon show and often found it hilarious, but I suspect some would say I occasionally laughed at the wrong times and for the wrong reasons.  ;)

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 06:28:18 PM »
But wait there's more Louisville business news.
Taking cues from the Mafia

https://www.wave3.com/2020/07/27/protesters-ask-nulu-businesses-sign-contract-promising-changes/

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) - Protesters have demanded action from NuLu businesses and want them to sign a contract promising they will make changes.

Protesters sent out a three-page contract to NuLu businesses following Friday’s protest. Some of the demands call for a 23% representation of Black employees, business owners, and staff participation in diversity training and ordering businesses to donate a certain percentage of profits to Local Black Organizations if they cannot fill their stores with 23% of merchandise from Black-owned brands.

By signing the contract, NuLu businesses, “acknowledge that my business has played a part in the harm done to Clarksdale’s original residents.”

Part of NuLu was previously known as Clarksdale. Protesters state in their contract that the original Clarksdale residents were actively rejected and pushed out of their community.

Angie Garner, the owner of the art gallery Garner Narrative, has already signed the contract and hung it in her window, which was another demand by protesters.

“I felt relieved to see the demands!” Garner wrote in an email to WAVE 3 News. “I read through them and was so happy to see that I can actually DO all these things... In my eyes, (the contract) is not a matter of providing validation to Black Louisvillians, but correcting unjust practice and sharing out opportunity. The people who need to learn the Clarksdale history are mostly white.”

While Garner looks forward to implementing all of the demands, including incorporating diversity training and attending round-table discussions led by Black women, another business owner in NuLu who did not wish to be named told WAVE 3 News the contract feels like a “punch in the gut” after suffering through the coronavirus pandemic.

The contract says the demands must be met by August 17, with a 5% increase in Black representation every six months.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 06:31:49 PM »
They want 13.4% of the population represented by 23% of the work force?

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »
I hope they all hang the contracts in their windows. From a noose.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »
Cuban Americans rally in support of Nulu restaurant owner
https://www.wlky.com/article/cuban-americans-rally-in-support-of-nulu-restaurant-owner/33493912

Martinez denounced the list of demands in a social media post, saying protesters were trying to intimidate him. A press release for the event stated that people on social media were ordered to "get" Martinez. A small group came to the restaurant and "more threats were made and some property was destroyed."
Ahamara Brewster, a general with the Revolutionary Black Panther Party also spoke at the rally. She said while she agrees with the demands protesters made, she believes their approach was disrespectful.

"You're attacking a Black-brown establishment, but you're in the name of Black Lives Matter? Wait a minute, something's weird about this," Brewster said.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 09:21:41 AM »
They want 13.4% of the population represented by 23% of the work force?

Another dumbass white guy who hasn't yet learned that 2+2!=4 if you're of the correct diversity. Freakin' racist.

Interesting side factoid, "does not equal" mathematical symbols are "hate symbols" now, according to the ADL.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/not-equal
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 09:28:35 AM »
Another dumbass white guy who hasn't yet learned that 2+2!=4 if you're of the correct diversity. Freakin' racist.

Interesting side factoid, "does not equal" mathematical symbols are "hate symbols" now, according to the ADL.

Is context also hateful?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 09:41:38 AM »

Saw Thor's hammer is too. Guess they'll have to ban a bunch of Marvel comics and movies now or do what they did to E.T. and photoshop it to a flashlight.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 09:42:13 AM »
I think Heinlein was onto something when he wrote about The Crazy Years in his stories.  We certainly seem to be living in crazy years.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 09:59:16 AM »
Is context also hateful?

If X=White, then True.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 10:33:13 AM »
Saw Thor's hammer is too. Guess they'll have to ban a bunch of Marvel comics and movies now or do what they did to E.T. and photoshop it to a flashlight.

The "Aryan fist" is a hate symbol, but the BLM fist is not?

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/aryan-fist

And, oh looky.   ADL uses "Latinx" unironically.    https://www.adl.org/latinx
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.