Author Topic: Big Boom  (Read 9081 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Big Boom
« on: August 04, 2020, 12:44:50 PM »
Some rather impressive video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vVIf0HkqHU

Beirut blast: Explosion rocks city ahead of Hariri verdict
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53656220
A UN tribunal is due to issue its verdict in the trial of four suspects in the murder by car bomb of Hariri.

All four are members of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah group, which has consistently denied any role in Hariri's death. They are being tried in absentia and the verdict is due on Friday.

The possible second explosion was reported to be at the Hariri residence in the city.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Big Boom
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 12:57:33 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:59:53 PM »
Looks like Lebanon is spiraling around the drain again.  What a darn shame.
It will be interesting to see how much explosive was used for that bomb, and what type it was.  That's assuming it will ever be determined with any certainty.
Probably military grade munitions supplied by Iran.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »
I think it was some sort of industrial/shipping accident
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 01:08:44 PM »
I think it was some sort of industrial/shipping accident
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 01:09:10 PM »
I think it was some sort of industrial accident

That was my first thought when I saw it, but given the recent unrest I wouldn't discount terrorism just yet.  Lebanon has suffered so much over the years.  I really hope it was just an industrial accident and not a harbinger of things to come.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 01:12:30 PM »
The blast occurred in the city’s port area, where there were warehouses housing explosives, Lebanon’s state news agency NNA and two security sources said. A third security source said there were chemcials stored in the area.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lebanon-security-blast/large-blast-in-beirut-port-area-rocks-lebanons-capital-many-people-hurt-idUSKCN25021M
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 01:26:24 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 01:50:07 PM »
From some of the videos it looks like fireworks are going off in the cloud from the first explosion.  There is also a video taken across a street from a burning building where what sounds and looks like firecrackers are exploding.  You can see flashes through the smoke pouring through the windows.  The second explosion occurs just as the volume of smoke pouring from the windows increases markedly.
There are also reports that Hezbollah had a missile factory in close vicinity.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 01:52:47 PM »
From some of the videos it looks like fireworks are going off in the cloud from the first explosion.  There is also a video taken across a street from a burning building where what sounds and looks like firecrackers are exploding.
There are also reports that Hezbollah had a missile factory in close vicinity.

Key word there is "Had"
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 01:57:25 PM »
Israel blamed in 5,4,3.......
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 02:02:10 PM »

Of course it's Israel's fault. If Israel didn't exist, they wouldn't have to make rockets to shoot at them. Duh.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 02:02:19 PM »

Gotta be Trump's fault
And the NRA.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 02:06:15 PM »
Looks like they removed the 2nd video I posted for some reason
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 02:59:26 PM »
Of course it's Israel's  Fistful's fault. If Israel  Fistful didn't exist, they wouldn't have to make rockets to shoot at them. Duh.

I can't believe I had to fix this.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2020, 03:35:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/Doranimated/status/1290678095268241410
Looking at this video, it looks like there are a bunch of those ship loading cranes close to where the bigger blast originated.  Makes me wonder if there was a ship load of explosives that went up.  I guess it could be some sort of storage bunker or building.  Either way, it looks like something started a fire that eventually set off ALL of the explosives. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 03:54:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/Doranimated/status/1290678095268241410
Looking at this video, it looks like there are a bunch of those ship loading cranes close to where the bigger blast originated.  Makes me wonder if there was a ship load of explosives that went up.  I guess it could be some sort of storage bunker or building.  Either way, it looks like something started a fire that eventually set off ALL of the explosives. 
There is (or was) a warehouse to the east of the silos.  It looks to me like the north side of that building was on fire and was generating the small explosions.  From the angles I've seen the large explosion appears to have been centered on that warehouse, not beyond it on a ship.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 03:58:14 PM »
My primitive understanding of explosive mechanics, gleaned after the Boston Marathon bombing, is that explosions can consist of 3 things:  smoke, light, or energy.  Slow explosions produce a lot of smoke.  Like the conflagration of SpaceX's AMOS-6 static fire test that resulted in a destroyed rocket and payload.  Or the Boston black powder pressure cooker.  Smoke generation is usually a symptom of very imperfect combustion, starvation of oxidizer, I think.

Supposedly nuclear explosions generate a lot of light.  Don't know, never seen one and hope never to.  Fireworks also generate a lot of light, as does magnesium or phosphorus.  So chemical sources can also generate light over smoke.  Unsure of the "why" of it.

This explosion was a near perfect sphere of energy with very little smoke.  I've heard that C4 and other similar military grade explosives are extraordinarily efficient in producing energy with minimal smoke and light.  I was worried at first watching that I was seeing a nuclear explosion from the perfection of the sphere, but it appears to halt at about a 2-3 block radius or so.  And didn't appear to knock down buildings inside that 3 block radius, other than possibly the source building.

ETA:  Wow, watching it a few more times, I see shards of buildings 3 blocks away getting broken off and lifted into the sky.  Big pieces, several feet square, accelerated pretty fast.  This is the view from an apartment building probably a mile away or so, and elevated.  And the neighboring big white building appears to just get FLATTENED by the shockwave.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 04:54:37 PM »
Multiple angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqKn_3iJOP4

Looks like there was a fire before the detonation. Ammonium nitrate, possibly? That would be consistent with a shipping port where there might be a couple thousand tons of it stored somewhere.

Also, the giant red plum of... something... after the detonation. Any idea if that's an indicator of the material involved, or just dust/debris?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 05:05:29 PM »
Hint.  Don't look at fires through windows.

In the Halifax explosion of 1917, "Hundreds of people who had been watching the fire from their homes were blinded when the blast wave shattered the windows in front of them."<- wiki

It wrenched my heart that a team of firefighters had disappeared.

:'( regardless of politics.  Halifax:  "Firefighter Billy Wells, who was thrown away from the explosion and had his clothes torn from his body, described the devastation survivors faced: 'The sight was awful, with people hanging out of windows dead. Some with their heads missing, and some thrown onto the overhead telegraph wires.' He was the only member of the eight-man crew of the fire engine Patricia to survive.[70] <-wiki

Must've been pretty humid judging from that cloud forming from the shock wave.

Don't know what the red plume was from.  Strontium burns red, but that's when it's burning.

Titanium chips are used for the white sparkling effect in aerial displays.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:17:36 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2020, 07:39:57 PM »

President Michel Aoun tweeted it was "unacceptable" that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was stored unsafely.

:O :O :O

That....

That would definitely do it.

Holy crap.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2020, 11:59:44 PM »

Don't know what the red plume was from.  Strontium burns red, but that's when it's burning.

Titanium chips are used for the white sparkling effect in aerial displays.

I read elsewhere that the red was likely from burning NO2, especially if the Ammonium Nitrate is correct.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 01:22:57 AM »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 06:15:37 AM »
Per AmbulanceDriver's quote:

President Michel Aoun tweeted it was "unacceptable" that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was stored unsafely.

No *expletive deleted*it, Sherlock.

It's kind of tragic that people still think NH4NO3 won't explode all by its lonesome.  "Where's the fuel, where's the fuel?"

It's been theorized that in some cases, the "fuel" just acts as a more effective shock wave transmission medium between particles, and then only incidentally provides extra energy by its actual burning.

I guess big piles of it going off now and again doesn't happen quite often enough for the word to get around to everybody.  

Yeah, the NOx does explain the redness --didn't think of that at the time.  Duh, me, and thanks, makattak.

That business of the shock wave creating temporary water clouds is interesting.  The cloud shows up best in the WLJ's BBC compendium of "disturbing images:"

You can see the same effect in those videos of volcanos going off.

https://youtu.be/BUREX8aFbMs

https://youtu.be/rTnCsYh6wPg

(Among several others.)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:47:31 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 07:18:23 AM »
Any pictures of the aftermath of the area available yet? Be interesting to see what the destruction level is.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.