Author Topic: Upper Case B, Lower Case w  (Read 2600 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Upper Case B, Lower Case w
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 09:50:14 AM »
Some are suggesting that it could be a small back hole responsible for the orbital patterns which is why we haven't found it yet.

Which brings up the question. Which is PC, black hole or Black hole?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 10:43:01 PM »
Going on the thread veer of trying to find a good thesaurus in this modern age; I have wondered about dictionaries, especially the online variety. When getting into online debates at times I've tried to look up if websites like dictionary.com or merriam-webster.com ever had different definitions of words to see if they've tried to subtly change certain words, but they don't put any of that type of information up from what I've been able to see.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 11:09:57 PM »
Going on the thread veer of trying to find a good thesaurus in this modern age; I have wondered about dictionaries, especially the online variety. When getting into online debates at times I've tried to look up if websites like dictionary.com or merriam-webster.com ever had different definitions of words to see if they've tried to subtly change certain words, but they don't put any of that type of information up from what I've been able to see.

You have to be an olde pharte, like me, and have old books. I have a copy of the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary from when I was in high school in the early 1960s. I also have my father's Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary from when he was in college in the 1920s.

And, of course, there's always this: http://webstersdictionary1828.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »
A few years ago, I was at a thrift store that had a row of dictionaries from various publishers. They had maybe 10 or 15, not counting the duplicates. I found the definition for marriage in each one, and photographed it, just for kicks. Disgustingly inclusive they were, what with demanding both sexes be involved...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 02:29:30 AM »
A few years ago, I was at a thrift store that had a row of dictionaries from various publishers. They had maybe 10 or 15, not counting the duplicates. I found the definition for marriage in each one, and photographed it, just for kicks. Disgustingly inclusive they were, what with demanding both sexes be involved...

Well, out of curiosity let's see what the definition of "marriage" was in 1828:

MAR'RIAGE, noun [Latin mas, maris.] The act of uniting a man and woman for life; wedlock; the legal union of a man and woman for life. marriage is a contract both civil and religious, by which the parties engage to live together in mutual affection and fidelity, till death shall separate them. marriage was instituted by God himself for the purpose of preventing the promiscuous intercourse of the sexes, for promoting domestic felicity, and for securing the maintenance and education of children.

Marriage is honorable in all and the bed undefiled. Hebrews 13:4

1. A feast made on the occasion of a marriage

The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king, who made a marriage for his son. Matthew 22:2.

2. In a scriptural sense, the union between Christ and his church by the covenant of grace. Revelation 19:7.

As compared to the current definition on Merriam-Webster online:

marriage noun

mar·​riage | \ ˈmer-ij, ˈma-rij \

Definition of marriage

1a see usage paragraph below : the state of being united as spouses in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law
b : the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock
c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage

2 : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities

3 : an intimate or close union the marriage of painting and poetry— J. T. Shawcross

I think I prefer the 1828 definition. It seems the damage had already been done by 1989:

marriage \ˈmar-ij\ 1: the state of being married  2: a wedding ceremony and attendant festivities  3: a close union

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design