Author Topic: An interesting observation walking through the neighborhood tonight.  (Read 1526 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
So I live in a suburb of Portland (and yes, I'm ashamed to admit that).  Family and all that...  To be fair, we moved here before it went bat crap insane.

Anyways.

The area we live in tends to be moderately liberal. Lots of "BLM" and "In Our America" signs throughout the neighborhood.  There are a couple of conservatives in the neighborhood besides ourselves, but we're mostly quiet and not really putting our politics out there.   I've seen a couple of Trump 2020 signs knocked down or torn in walking around.  Nothing new there.

But what I noticed tonight walking around is that all the houses that 4 years ago had Hillary 2016, or "I'm with HER" signs, or Bernie Sanders signs, etc......  At least half of the houses in the area we walk.

Out of all of those, tonight I only saw *one* Biden 2020 sign.   4 years ago, easily half the houses in the neighborhood had signs up (for a multitude of candidates) by this time.

This year?  Crickets....

I don't know if it's just that it's such an odd time this go around between COVID and all the rest, or if it's just that the local democrats really just can't find enough in them to put any energy behind such a "meh" candidate.  Maybe they're waiting to see who his running mate is before they get excited....

Just a curious observation is all.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: An interesting observation walking through the neighborhood tonight.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:40:19 AM »
Maybe they're waiting to see who his running mate replacement is before they get excited....

FIFY
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 11:10:10 AM »
True.....

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 01:09:51 PM »
I have heard similar sentiment in a lot of places attributed to liberals or perhaps former liberals.  Not sure how much is a mass movement and how much is just anecdotal. 

Mostly down to:
1.  Biden is a weak pick for a candidate.  (not sure any VP candidate short of Tulsi would change anything)
2.  Leftists have gone too far with the lock down/mask mandates.
3.  Leftists have gone too far with the riots and getting rid of police. 

There are probably other things to add to that list.  I have even heard Google/Youtube/Twitter were taking down videos and such of liberals or former liberals expressing views like that.  With the media solidly rooting for Biden and Co., I just don't know how big this is or if it is big at all.

In 2016, one of the after-election views I heard was that enthusiasm backed Trump and Democrats didn't like Hilary and Trump pulled in many disaffected voters who normally don't vote.  What is different in 2020?  Is there less enthusiasm for Trump?  He did a lot of things he said he would do.  One thing for certain is Democrats have moved further left and expressed more wildly left wing views.  That has to have an effect on more centrist Democrat voters. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 01:16:54 PM »
They're not sure yet whether they should put out a Michelle or Harris or Rice or Oprah sign out
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 02:05:12 PM »
In 2016, one of the after-election views I heard was that enthusiasm backed Trump and Democrats didn't like Hilary and Trump pulled in many disaffected voters who normally don't vote.  What is different in 2020?  Is there less enthusiasm for Trump?  He did a lot of things he said he would do.  One thing for certain is Democrats have moved further left and expressed more wildly left wing views.  That has to have an effect on more centrist Democrat voters. 
From what I recall, Clinton & Trump had very similar (rather high) numbers for how much people disliked them. At least so far, Biden is no where close to being that disliked.
No democrat I've talked to, not a single one, is excited about Biden but many are very motivated to vote against Trump.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »
From what I recall, Clinton & Trump had very similar (rather high) numbers for how much people disliked them. At least so far, Biden is no where close to being that disliked.
No democrat I've talked to, not a single one, is excited about Biden but many are very motivated to vote against Trump.

I have no particular dislike for Biden.  If he's as ailing as he seems, he's being used.  My dislike is more generalized. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 03:19:05 PM »
I have no particular dislike for Biden.  If he's as ailing as he seems, he's being used.  My dislike is more generalized. 

And most Democrat seem to be fine with taking advantage of Biden like that.  Unless that's just the vocal ones and there's a silent majority we only hear from when they vote.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 03:41:44 PM »
I agree with that, but how many votes does that get Biden?  How many of those people hate Trump now, but didn't hate him in 2016?

There were supposedly a lot of Republican voters who didn't like Obama, but it wasn't enough to get the win with a poor candidate. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 07:50:50 PM »
My in-laws are an interesting case study in this phenomenon.

They were JFK democrats.  Loved their country, felt that the politics of JFK were pretty reasonable, and mostly have voted straight ticket democrat because that's just who they voted for.

That changed in the last year or so.   They aren't really voting for Trump.  I mean they are, but that's not why.  They're voting against the democratic party and what the extreme fringes of their party have done.   They think it's absolutely disgusting what the media and democrats are doing to Trump.  Because they believe that this kind of hate-mongering just isn't right.

So they're both voting for Trump this year (they didn't in 2016.  not sure if they voted for H or just abstained).

*that* is what I think the D's need to be afraid of. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 08:34:17 PM »
My in-laws are an interesting case study in this phenomenon.

They were JFK democrats.  Loved their country, felt that the politics of JFK were pretty reasonable, and mostly have voted straight ticket democrat because that's just who they voted for.

That changed in the last year or so.   They aren't really voting for Trump.  I mean they are, but that's not why.  They're voting against the democratic party and what the extreme fringes of their party have done.   They think it's absolutely disgusting what the media and democrats are doing to Trump.  Because they believe that this kind of hate-mongering just isn't right.

So they're both voting for Trump this year (they didn't in 2016.  not sure if they voted for H or just abstained).

*that* is what I think the D's need to be afraid of. 
That is the sort of thing I have been hearing.  Not so much love for Trump, but voting against these extreme leftists.  Again, we will see if that is widespread. 

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »
Yesterday I saw my very first, and so far only, "Stop Chemtrails" bumper sticker, a few days previous to that I saw my first, and so far only, Biden bumper sticker.

So it looks like Joe is at least polling evenly with chemtrails in the mind of the public here. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 07:01:20 PM »
And they probably make the same amount of sense when they talk.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 12:11:19 AM »
I used to be real good at knowing who was going to win, ever since Mitt tho, I have lost my abilities
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 01:06:35 AM »
And they probably make the same amount of sense when they talk.

So you're saying that chemtrails aren't a threat?

WELL. THEY. ARE.

And now they have the 5G in them and that makes them worse.

Wake up, sheepperson!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2020, 01:11:31 AM »
Now that space is commercial you will see more. The space ships going up pull the ozone layer ito space. Come on.. it has to be a rich white guys fault.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 07:02:57 AM »
. . . And now they have the 5G in them and that makes them worse . . .

Be sure to wipe down your mail (especially your email) with antiseptic so you don't catch the 5G.  [tinfoil]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 07:17:02 AM »
Be sure to wipe down your mail (especially your email) with antiseptic so you don't catch the 5G.  [tinfoil]

I use Clinton Server Wipes for that.  They're great.  Not even the FBI can find emails germs after that.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?