Author Topic: Where do you place the odds of a 50 state sweep by Trump?  (Read 13917 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Where do you place the odds of a 50 state sweep by Trump?
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2020, 09:39:24 PM »
Paul Ryan is the main one in Congress who had the ability to change the mid-terms.  You might include McCain in that since he stopped the bill to kill Obamacare.  Lost opportunities everytime they passed another spending resolution in the House.  I think they could have slipped in all sorts of legislation.  He got the tax cuts passed which was a big win.

Wasn't there an historic number of Republican incumbents retiring from congress that mid-term election?

Wasn't Paul Ryan opposing the President pretty much across the board on everything other than on tax cuts?

The RINO's bailed at the first sign of a Republican President who was requiring movement on Republican issues.

Good riddance to bad trash.    

The Republicans held the house in name only. The traitorous leftist RINO's were worse than Democrats.

Trump treated McCain better than he deserved -spits-

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2020, 02:41:17 PM »
Two things I've noticed of late.  One is that there is a decided lack of Trump/Pence stickers and signs in the area, especially when compared to 2016 when they were all over the place.  While they are out there this year, the numbers are way down as compared to the last election.
There are even fewer Harris/Biden/Harris stickers and signs, however.  I think there is more leftover Bernie stuff, actually.  Given that Hickory is a university town, that is probably to be expected.

Second is the makeup of the protesters in Dem cities.  In the sixties and seventies, most protesters and rioters were members of the college age cohort.  The mantra at the time was "Don't trust anyone over 30."
The protesters these days are high school age all the way up to senior citizens.  There are many middle aged and senior folks participating in the protests.  From my viewing of riot videos, the older folks tend to leave before the violence starts, however.  Rioting and looting is a young person's game after all.

I think both of these factors point to less support for Trump, unfortunately.  Fewer yard signs and bumper stickers for Trump in a largely conservative area is telling to me.  While we have had a couple of protests locally, the were low key and everyone was well behaved.  Folks were even sharing cold water bottles across the lines despite their political differences.
And the much larger age spread of the protesters would indicate greater support for the protests and riots than one would like to think is really out there.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2020, 03:02:48 PM »
Two things I've noticed of late.  One is that there is a decided lack of Trump/Pence stickers and signs in the area, especially when compared to 2016 when they were all over the place.  While they are out there this year, the numbers are way down as compared to the last election.
There are even fewer Harris/Biden/Harris stickers and signs, however.  I think there is more leftover Bernie stuff, actually.  Given that Hickory is a university town, that is probably to be expected.

Second is the makeup of the protesters in Dem cities.  In the sixties and seventies, most protesters and rioters were members of the college age cohort.  The mantra at the time was "Don't trust anyone over 30."
The protesters these days are high school age all the way up to senior citizens.  There are many middle aged and senior folks participating in the protests.  From my viewing of riot videos, the older folks tend to leave before the violence starts, however.  Rioting and looting is a young person's game after all.

I think both of these factors point to less support for Trump, unfortunately.  Fewer yard signs and bumper stickers for Trump in a largely conservative area is telling to me.  While we have had a couple of protests locally, the were low key and everyone was well behaved.  Folks were even sharing cold water bottles across the lines despite their political differences.
And the much larger age spread of the protesters would indicate greater support for the protests and riots than one would like to think is really out there.

People don't have Trump-Pence signs up because they don't want them torn down and their houses vandalized.  

A few years ago my wife put a sign in our yard against the MN gay marriage amendment.  Someone stole the sign *and* they reported us to the police for nuisance barking dogs.  (the dogs were in the house with all the windows closed at the time)  The police didn't give a *expletive deleted*it about the sign being stolen, all they were interested in was the false report about the dogs -- which they took seriously but only issued us a warning.

"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2020, 03:12:04 PM »
I probably don't have historical context for my area, plus I came here from CA, but there are Trump signs and stuff all over the place here. Guys are driving around in their trucks with big ass American flags on one side, and big ass Trump flags on the other. I see Trump 2020 flags as the second flag on people's flagpoles, and not just yard signs, but yard practically billboards on some of the rural property.

As I say, I don't have the history here to know if this is more or less than 2016, but there is a lot of Trump advertising going on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2020, 04:22:20 PM »
People don't have Trump-Pence signs up because they don't want them torn down and their houses vandalized.

To my knowledge that hasn't been much of a problem around here.  If you go further north into Caldwell county, a mostly rural conservative county, Trump/Pence signs were almost as common as weeds in 2016.  And I didn't not hear any reports of folks being vandalized.  This year, far fewer signs and bumper stickers.  The same would hold true going further south into Catawba county where it is also more rural.

Down here in Hickory I would say your statement about vandalism would have more validity as we are a university town.  The population is around 45,000 IIRC.  The closer you are to the school, or even downtown for that matter, the greater your chances of having an occasional problem with vandals I would think.  Still, it would probably not be as bad as other places.  Folks are a bit more laid back here.
And you would see the residual Bernie stickers and signs here and there around downtown and the university.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2020, 04:28:02 PM »
I could count the number of Trump signs I saw in 2016 on one hand while Hillary signs were all the place. Just saw my first Biden/Harris sign a couple of days ago.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2020, 04:29:46 PM »
Just saw on Rasmussen where Trump's approval rating has dropped six points from 52% to 46% over the last few days.  No bump from the convention apparently.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2020, 06:45:32 PM »
I’m in a pretty conservative area. I won’t put out any political items because I don’t want a situation to escalate to me having to shoot someone.

I keep my mouth shut except around known people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2020, 07:04:14 PM »
I’m in a pretty conservative area. I won’t put out any political items because I don’t want a situation to escalate to me having to shoot someone.

I keep my mouth shut except around known people.

Granted I don't know all about your circumstances, but I can't help but think we're all being much too timid about expressing our political views in public.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2020, 08:28:50 PM »
Granted I don't know all about your circumstances, but I can't help but think we're all being much too timid about expressing our political views in public.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
I work in downtown Tulsa (AKA Berkley on the Arkansas). I do not put any stickers on my vehicle that might draw negative attention to it or me. No political stickers, no NRA decal, nothing.

I don’t want a situation to escalate to me having to shoot someone

I'm right there with that mind set.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2020, 08:34:14 PM »

Tell that to all the people assaulted for wearing a red hat.

I recognize your point, but in too many places in this country it is simply unsafe to express certain political views in public.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2020, 01:10:12 AM »
I know people and property are being attacked. I get that. Not everyone can take that chance.

I'm not immune from timidity, either, but it's pretty clear we are letting ourselves be intimidated into silence. We're basically admitting that on every corner of the internet. The sad thing is, we seem to be OK with it.

FWIW, I'm going to put my sticker where my mouth is. Just ordered this:
https://shop.donaldjtrump.com/products/veterans-for-trump-bumper-sticker-set-of-2

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2020, 08:20:08 AM »
I know people and property are being attacked. I get that. Not everyone can take that chance.

I'm not immune from timidity, either, but it's pretty clear we are letting ourselves be intimidated into silence. We're basically admitting that on every corner of the internet. The sad thing is, we seem to be OK with it.

FWIW, I'm going to put my sticker where my mouth is. Just ordered this:
https://shop.donaldjtrump.com/products/veterans-for-trump-bumper-sticker-set-of-2

No, I hear you. I submit that our side would be "less timid" if we could defend ourselves against the kind of people we're talking about here. In most places that this stuff happens, we're more likely to be arrested for defending ourselves than they are for attacking us.

If I could kick someone's ass when they broke out the window of my car without worrying about the legal and monetary repercussions,  I would be more inclined to publicly voice my viewpoint versus laying low. They might also be less inclined to using violence and property destruction as their method of debate.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2020, 09:39:09 AM »
No, I hear you. I submit that our side would be "less timid" if we could defend ourselves against the kind of people we're talking about here. In most places that this stuff happens, we're more likely to be arrested for defending ourselves than they are for attacking us.

If I could kick someone's ass when they broke out the window of my car without worrying about the legal and monetary repercussions,  I would be more inclined to publicly voice my viewpoint versus laying low. They might also be less inclined to using violence and property destruction as their method of debate.

This.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2020, 01:00:10 PM »

Plus being sued for damages, which is a consideration for those of us with houses and other assets that can be seized to pay a judgment.  I actually worry more about civil liability than criminal.  I have been in court enough times to know that with a good attorney, I will likely come off reasonably well in the criminal justice system.  Civil liability, not maybe so much.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »
You guys make it sound like the government is actually acting as "the muscle" to protect the interests criminal element.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
You guys make it sound like the government is actually acting as "the muscle" to protect the interests criminal element.

If they were actually protecting the interests of criminal elements what would they do different?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2020, 08:16:38 PM »

Well, sure.  Professional courtesy.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2020, 05:17:46 PM »
Everyone — even The New York Times and The Atlantic, which have been starting to sound the alarm — knows these mobs belong to the Democratic Party. That’s one reason the mainstream media have released no battleground state polls, zero, since the Kenosha riots began on August 23. Given that a Zogby poll last week showed Trump with a 52 percent approval rating, a new high, one can surmise that major media polls right now are showing a decisive shift in Trump’s favor, which is why they’re not releasing them.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/31/the-face-of-the-democratic-party-isnt-joe-biden-its-the-raging-mob/

I don't know who this guy is, and I think he needs to lay off the caffeine, but he brings up some interesting news stories.
https://youtu.be/L-yi2C7RlQQ?t=401

Moar:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/michael-moore-panics-somebody-needs-to-pull-the-fire-alarm-now
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:25:18 AM by fistful »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2020, 03:13:17 PM »
I don't know who this guy is, and I think he needs to lay off the caffeine, but he brings up some interesting news stories.
https://youtu.be/L-yi2C7RlQQ?t=401

I tried to watch one of this guy's videos a while back.  Couldn't make it through without wanting to tear my already nonexistent hair out.
Good message, very poor delivery.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2020, 04:48:31 PM »
One pollster finds black likely-voter job approval rate for Trump at 45%.

If that's true, and it turns into votes then it's a game changer.

Other non-white LVs at 57%.

Again, if true, Trump would take all the states. And it wouldn't even be close.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2020, 05:09:47 PM »
One pollster finds black likely-voter job approval rate for Trump at 45%.

If that's true, and it turns into votes then it's a game changer.

Other non-white LVs at 57%.

Again, if true, Trump would take all the states. And it wouldn't even be close.

I've heard that if even 11% of black voters flip Republican, it sinks the Democrats.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2020, 05:13:13 PM »
I hope those numbers are accurate and hold until Nov. 3, but as they say, old habits die hard.  Folks could find themselves in the booth, thinking they are going to vote for Trump and the GOP, then hesitate and pull the other lever because that's what they've always done.
We will see soon enough.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2020, 08:56:48 PM »
For whatever reason, a lot of this violence seemed to ramp up just as the party conventions were done and people are starting to really think about their vote with 2 months to go.  R's were the only ones to talk about the violence and the need to shut it down.  We will see how it shakes out.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 09:26:26 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2020, 09:26:04 PM »
Leftist District Attorneys Announce Across The Country They WILL NOT Charge Rioters And Far Left
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q6FcuVuNE0

Here is the article he references. 
https://nypost.com/2020/09/05/growing-numbers-of-us-attorneys-general-are-out-to-undermine-the-law/
Growing numbers of district attorneys are out to undermine the law
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge