Author Topic: Movies that transcend their genre  (Read 2507 times)

Antibubba

• friend
Re: Movies that transcend their genre
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »
You know, all this talk about science fiction movies and no one has mentioned Blade Runner. I'm really kind of surprised.

In a way, Blade Runner defined the genre.  Blade Runner was plot and mood (ESPECIALLY mood) intensive.  And while being nearly nothing like the book it was based on, it sort of set the standard for what followed--a standard which most SF films simply couldn't match.

To put it another way, it was one of the first SF films where the the two main faces of written science fiction--hard and soft--were merged.  Hard--the androids, the flying police cars, etc; and the Soft--the social differences of the future--the polyglot society, the sacredness and definition of life, and so on.  Most of the SF movies until then were mostly spaceships and gadgets, or easy-to-spot aliens with no redeeming qualities.  The Twilight Zone is a good example of Soft SF--of how individuals and societies behave or react when "Hypothetical X" occurs.  Star Wars didn't really get metaphysical until Episode 1; and then just enough to further the plot.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 02:49:30 AM »
You know, all this talk about science fiction movies and no one has mentioned Blade Runner. I'm really kind of surprised.

Blade Runner was crap.

Just kidding  grin

Yeah, well, I thought so.

Genre transcending crap...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 08:57:47 AM »
Hudson Hawk

I liked this movie, too. 

I think it was judged more seriously (and thus harshly) than the creators intended.  Good caper film that kept getting weirder.

"If you'd like to swing on a star, carry moon beams home in a jar..."

grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB