Author Topic: California to Move Forward on Reparations  (Read 1575 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
California to Move Forward on Reparations
« on: August 30, 2020, 08:39:14 AM »
Looks like CA is moving forward on a bill to pay reparations. A couple of things:

“If the 40-acres-and-a-mule that was promised to free slaves were delivered to the descendants of those slaves today, we would all be billionaires,” state Sen. Steven Bradford, D-Gardena, said. “I hear far too many people say, ‘Well, I didn’t own slaves, that was so long ago.' Well, you inherit wealth — you can inherit the debt that you owe to African-Americans."

So  I guess everyone who is white in America traces their routes back to the Mayflower? Nobody got here in the 20th century? Wouldn't the hispanics, who are becoming a majority in CA be irked at paying out reparations? Which leads into...

My nephew in law is Mexican. He was visiting here a couple of weeks ago. We don't completely agree on politics, so I usually avoid political topics, but he brought one up: reparations. He was pissed off about reparations talk and said "they" don't deserve reparations. If the US was going to do reparations, it should go to native Americans / indigenous peoples (which, I'm sure "indigenous" means Mexican, mestizo, etc.). So it sounds like hispanics might not be on board with this. Though the state senate vote was 33-3, and I believe there are a good number of hispanics in the state senate.

Should be an interesting case study as it goes forward.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-bill-to-form-reparations-task-force-advances-after-33-3-state-senate-vote
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: California to Move Forward on Reparations
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 11:13:40 AM »
When slavery existed in this country - and which ended before my grandparents were born - my ancestors were still in the eastern Baltic area of Europe and had their hands full fighting off raids by marauding bands of Cossacks.

Even if they were aware of slavery in North America, they were in no position to do anything about it.

I don't owe anybody anything for what someone else's long-dead ancestors did to someone else's long-dead ancestors.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 12:33:11 PM »
Inherited debt sounds like how you get slavery, not how you fix it.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »
How much have we already spent in the "war on poverty"?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 12:54:23 PM »

NoT EnoUgh RacisT!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 02:09:06 PM »
I'll take "how do we increase anti-black racism in America" for $1000, Alex.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 02:41:49 PM »
This is only going to exponentially increase the exodus of people with money from California. The sad thing is that it means they'll bring their communist, libtard ideas to wherever they move, and start the whole cycle of decline anew.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 06:02:14 PM »
"If we give some money, maybe they won't be mad at us."   [barf]

If anybody deserves reparations to compensate for mistreatment from the government, it's gun owners!  :old:

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 08:45:57 PM »
The number is pretty close to the national debt.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 09:00:18 PM »
Any former slaves are welcome to come claim their mule and land,  I guess..
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 12:28:05 AM »

That's the point.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 12:39:52 AM »
Sounds like they want a whole bunch of their middle class to leave the state.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 11:39:47 AM »
Sounds like they want a whole bunch of their middle class to leave the state.
They're making noise about - somehow - making people who leave the state keep paying taxes to the state for a decade after leaving.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 11:41:40 AM »
They're making noise about - somehow - making people who leave the state keep paying taxes to the state for a decade after leaving.

That'll work well for them in the end. :facepalm:    Can you say "taxation without representation? ? ? ?"
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 01:18:28 PM »
They don't care about rule of law or what precedents they are setting.  Give them free stuff now. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 04:10:42 PM »
Looking at the article, I guess this was a vote to set up a commission to study the issue.  So it is just a way to set up friends with state paychecks to study the issue.  So they can say they support reparations without actually doing reparations. 

I think many of the Hispanic residents of California are more likely to ask "where is my money" rather than to oppose this.

How common was slavery in California? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 04:12:11 PM »

Probably pretty common before white people got there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 05:25:56 PM »
Probably pretty common before white people got there.

After receiving fame and the moniker “The Pathfinder” during his exploits as a western explorer, Frémont settled in California with his wife, Jessie, the daughter of Missouri politician Thomas Hart Benton. In California, Frémont acted as military governor in 1847 and later briefly served as senator. His pronounced anti-slavery stance made him an attractive candidate for the nascent Republican Party in 1856 amid their first campaign for the White House.
Link
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
I think CA should definitely institute a heavy tax on all non-black residents, and lavishly give the money to black Californians.

The results would be... funny.   :lol:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 02:36:00 PM »
I think CA should definitely institute a heavy tax on all non-black residents, and lavishly give the money to black Californians.

And half black residents should pay half in taxes and be given half of the reparations (minus the cut to the state govt). 

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 05:42:24 PM »
Reparations def.= Take money from people that never owned slaves and give it to black people who were never slaves.
Makes perfect sense. :facepalm:
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 02:52:12 AM »
So will the recipients of all this California reparation money pay federal taxes on it?

This might nibble a little at the national debt, don'cha think?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 01:46:07 PM »

What would be funny would be defining who is black enough to qualify for reparations? If a person is 25% black, would he/she receive reparations, or would he/she be subject to the tax?

What about someone like Barack Obama, who is (supposedly) an even 50 percent back/white? Would he have to pay the tax in order to receive the reparations?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design