Author Topic: Dumb tractor quick hitch question  (Read 198 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Dumb tractor quick hitch question
« on: March 19, 2024, 07:32:48 AM »
I'm not very knowledgeable about tractors, so pardon the stupid question.

As I posted about last year, I have an Allis Chalmers 175.  It came with the standard Category II 3 point hitch.  I got a grader blade and bushhog with it, and have since also gotten a 2" hitch adapter and a 3 point mounted log splitter.

The implements are a mix of Cat I and Cat II and all made by different manufacturers.  The 3 point log splitter has a very narrow crossbar for the lower lifting arms - about 24" between the pin holes.  Is there a quick hitch option that works for this kind of variety?

I think the Pat's Easy Change quick hitch might work, but I'd also have to consider the fact that the Cat II sway blocks would need to come off for the narrower implements.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Dumb tractor quick hitch question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 07:40:34 AM »
I just hook up my implements the caveman way, with the grunting and the cussing, so haven't used any quick hitches but if you're looking at this version of the Pat's, it appears to be very adjustable.

https://www.agrisupply.com/pats-point-quick-hitch-category/p/70079/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 08:13:55 AM »
Yeah, that's what I'm looking at.

The downside is that the Pat's still requires manual connection of the top link, plus if I had a Cat II quick hitch that could handle the narrower implements I wouldn't have to pull the sway blocks for small stuff.

I was making due until I got the 3 point log splitter, but now I've got to figure something out.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 11:55:27 AM »
Are the pins pointing in or out at 24”?
I’ve seen some convert II to I by turning them inward.
I don’t know how you would convert I to II. Or any easy way to make it fit a QH.
I have a Speeco QH and was able to configure everything to same spacing all 3 points.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 12:02:53 PM »
Are the pins pointing in or out at 24”?
I’ve seen some convert II to I by turning them inward.
I don’t know how you would convert I to II. Or any easy way to make it fit a QH.
I have a Speeco QH and was able to configure everything to same spacing all 3 points.
The wood splitter has pins pointing out at 24" and those pins appear to be integral to the crossbar.  Unless I move the sway blocks (one or both), I can't get my lower lift arms to come together closer than ~30"

Oh well, I guess I'll unbolt a sway block and try to be half the man Ben is and just do it the old fashioned way.  This splitter better be awesome.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 12:12:17 PM »
Oh well, I guess I'll unbolt a sway block and try to be half the man Ben is and just do it the old fashioned way.  This splitter better be awesome.

That's a lofty goal!  :rofl:

One thing I have done is set aside an area where all the implements are parked, leveled that out, then additionally for the heavy stuff that allows for it, like the brushhog, I placed and leveled some 4x6s that run the length of the outside edges and place the implement on that. The wood is "slippery" enough that if I have to adjust to line up the holes, it's not too difficult to give things a nudge.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 03:59:42 PM »

One thing I have done is set aside an area where all the implements are parked, leveled that out, then additionally for the heavy stuff that allows for it, like the brushhog, I placed and leveled some 4x6s that run the length of the outside edges and place the implement on that. The wood is "slippery" enough that if I have to adjust to line up the holes, it's not too difficult to give things a nudge.
I did the same or similar.
Last time I had to give something a “nudge”,  it was because 34 tons of rock was delivered and dropped in the wrong spot. My boots slid on the snow and ice and I hit the blade at shin level, went over the top and broke my nose.
The less fussing I have to do, the better. If I can do it without getting off the tractor, even better.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 02:31:54 AM »

This. Having them up on the wood supports helps immensely. I also have a a couple of massive prybars on hand, ranging from 4-6 feet, and an 8 foot length of heavy duty iron pipe if I need even more leverage. Then the only real pain in the ass is getting the PTO shaft hooked up...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 08:23:43 AM »
This. Having them up on the wood supports helps immensely. I also have a a couple of massive prybars on hand, ranging from 4-6 feet, and an 8 foot length of heavy duty iron pipe if I need even more leverage. Then the only real pain in the ass is getting the PTO shaft hooked up...

Yeah, I keep an old 5' length of round stock laying next to the stuff. I've also had good luck, if stuff is "almost on" by just karate kicking the arm to get it far enough for the cotter pin to clear. The neighbors might think I'm taking frustrations out on the equipment, but it works.  :laugh:

And yeah, PTO shafts can suck. My first brushhog was a chicom piece of crap, and man, I had to have the hog at just the perfect height for an angle that let me slide the PTO shaft onto the tractor, and even then, even with grease, I would be cussing for ten minutes until it was on. My new hog is made in the USA, and this shaft slides right on, no muss, no fuss.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 09:20:20 AM »
When I bought the farmstead, I found a very old “railroad” track pry bar in the barn. It’s been handy for moving and prying on big stuff. About 5.5’ long, lower 1/3rd is 2x2” square with a flat point that transitions to round bar with a striking face on the top for driving it with a sledge if needed.
Pretty darn useful but not fun to carry very far.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 10:53:42 AM »
I have gone through this. I would recommend the John Deere QD hitch, but others are similar kind of depends on quality to some extent. It does not work with some older 3 point stuff. I can't use it for example with an ancient rear 3 point finish mower deck. I do use it with my modern box blade with no issues. I had to purchase a new hook for the top link to use it with my older rake.

A couple things. You will probably need some sleeves to adjust from Cat 1 to Cat 2. This link is an example. You use these on the Cat 1 equipment to make it compatible with the QD hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/Yoursme-TK95029-Adapter-Category-Tractors/dp/B097K528DM/ref=asc_df_B097K528DM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=647233800628&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15205926730163242487&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006933&hvtargid=pla-1951414384943&psc=1&mcid=59b86fb8db543c0f8a59641aa3cc7f23

The top link hook that comes with the JD QD is tight and doesn't work with everything, this company makes this replacement hook to fix this.

https://www.boltonhooks.com/john-deere-imatch-accessories/

My tractor is at my parents, I was fixing their driveway. If you would like some pictures and/or measurements I can take them for you, but might  be a few days.

You can sometimes also change the direction of the bottom links from inside to outside to adjust the dimensions at least somewhat of the bottom links spread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2024, 11:21:39 PM »
I pulled both sway blocks and was able to get the splitter mounted.

The Pat’s quick hitch is on the way.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2024, 10:37:38 PM »
I installed the Class II Pat’s hitch tonight. They make them in class I, class II, class I to II and class II to I but I figure I’ll get some cheap bushings for my class I implements.

Install should have been easy, but I had a clearance issue on the hole of the right hand lift arm ball. Some grinder and sledge work solved that, but it added some time.

Admittedly I’ve only played with it a little bit, but I should have gotten one when I bought the tractor.

If you’ve got a bunch of implements with identically sized hookups then I’d say just get the appropriate fixed quick hitch plate.  If, like me, you’ve got a bunch of different sized hitches then definitely consider the Pat’s. The adjustable spreader bar gets set for the width you need for an implement, you back up with the 3 point low, raise it to snap the lifting arms onto the pins, level it, get off to connect the top link and lock the connectors, and you’re done.

Unlike a lot of other quick hitches, all you need to adapt an implement is a set of bent washer that costs $5 per implement (and the kit already comes with four pairs).

Yeah, I’ve got a couple implements I still need to pull the sway blocks for, but that isn’t the end of the world.