Author Topic: The Valkyrie gets a bath  (Read 1000 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
The Valkyrie gets a bath
« on: May 31, 2024, 11:22:15 PM »
They pushed the old, but still looking young, girl out of Hanger 4 and gave her a bath.
Filmed in 4k

North American XB-70 Valkyrie(Highlights May 2024)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziNLg0CpG4
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • We NEED a President with his good luck!
Re: The Valkyrie gets a bath
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 06:37:45 AM »
Funny to realize how huge it is, flight photos don't give much of a sense of scaling.  Too bad they only made 19,307 of them.
Sooner or later, law output will become greater than Court input.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2024, 08:29:11 AM »
Funny to realize how huge it is, flight photos don't give much of a sense of scaling. 

That was the first thought I had. I had never heard of the XB-70, but what a cool aircraft.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2024, 08:57:23 AM »
Cool airplane, striking performance.

From the video, I see wrinkles in the skin - is that just from some kind of contact paper or vinyl they put on to make it look nice on display?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2024, 09:04:19 AM »
Funny to realize how huge it is, flight photos don't give much of a sense of scaling. 

One of those was designed to cruise at Mach 3
Note: The B2 size comparison can be a bit misleading since the B2 is pretty much all wing

« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 09:46:37 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2024, 01:12:42 PM »
That was the first thought I had. I had never heard of the XB-70, but what a cool aircraft.

I can remember an article in a Boy's Life magazine I got talking about the aircraft and the crash. On another note, visiting that museum is worth a couple of days of your time if you are ever in the area.

bob

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2024, 02:37:39 PM »
Cool airplane, striking performance.

From the video, I see wrinkles in the skin - is that just from some kind of contact paper or vinyl they put on to make it look nice on display?

Possibly the wrinkles shrink out at the high altitudes, low temps of its normal duty.  On the other hand, there's the heat of friction to keep the skin warm, so...?  Maybe they've got the two effects balanced out but in ground conditions, the wrinkles win out.

I haven't seen any pictures of the other 19,306* of them so I can't tell.

I've got wrinkles, too, but I'm a little older than that plane.

* ETA  I picked up the wrong tail number ( 19307) from a different aircraft in the video.  Would have been a good joke, but my error was pointed out in later posts.  <dummy me> :(
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 11:43:36 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2024, 02:49:53 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2024, 02:53:34 PM »
I haven't seen any pictures of the other 19,306 of them so I can't tell.

Only 2 were built.
Unfortunately #2 crashed after an F-104 collided with it

https://www.thexhunters.com/xpeditions/xb-70a_accident.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2024, 03:08:53 PM »
The tail number on the mothballed one in the video at 4:23 is 19307.

Yet looking at it again, most of the pictures show a different tail number (20001), so what gives?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 12:54:36 PM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2024, 07:04:49 PM »
The XB-70 is cool, but I was actually more excited to see the Thundescreech sitting next to it. (At 2:51).  The Valkyrie is cool and fast, but the XF-84 is just peak 'Merica.

Thunderscreech explanation: https://youtu.be/nyG7Xxw2YXU?si=y3U_fvI6KiPaYpDw

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2024, 07:49:30 PM »
The XB-70 is cool, but I was actually more excited to see the Thundescreech sitting next to it. (At 2:51).  The Valkyrie is cool and fast, but the XF-84 is just peak 'Merica.

You also got a shot of the Tacit Blue 6:55 and that red and white X10 (unmanned demonstrator that first flew in 1953!) under the wing and on the ramp is just gorgeous. I need to get back there and visit, it has gotten so much better since I was there 40+ years ago.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2024, 08:33:27 PM »
The tail number on the mothballed one in the video at 4:23 is 19307.

Yet looking at it again, most of the pictures show a different tail number (20001), so what gives?

19307 is clearly a different aircraft. Look at the video again.

There were only two XB-70s. The bomber program was canceled with the introduction of SAMs that threatened high altitude bombers and the two airframes were used for research.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2024, 10:07:59 AM »

I've thought from time to time that something like a Thunderscreech drone might have an application in some military situations as a psychological weapon against low tech "insurgent" forces that don't have the tech to shoot it down. Fly over, wake everybody up, and say "We know you're there." Don't make a big deal about it, in fact don't comment on it at all. The bad guys will just know something noisy is in the sky above them.

But it won't happen because after the bureaucrats got ahold of the idea, it would cost 100 billion dollars and they'd be open congressional hearings.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2024, 12:57:24 PM »
19307 is clearly a different aircraft. Look at the video again.

There were only two XB-70s. The bomber program was canceled with the introduction of SAMs that threatened high altitude bombers and the two airframes were used for research.

Ah, thanks.  Glanced up to capture that number while having dinner.

Terry

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2024, 01:02:46 PM »
I once saw a B52 do a fly over of a football game.  Wingspan seems to stretch across the entire stadium.  Would be interesting to see this one fly.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2024, 01:07:44 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2024, 01:28:43 PM »
I need to get back there and visit, it has gotten so much better since I was there 40+ years ago.

bob

Pretty much go every year and it's grown massively in that time. Every time we're there we spot something new.

May also want to go visit The Naval Aviation Museum down in Pensacola FL. If you're lucky you may catch the Blue Angels practicing while there and the USS Alabama (South Dakota class battleship) is just a few minutes away.

Website https://navalaviationmuseum.org/home/
- Calvin and Hobbes