Re: Dune
« Reply #300 on: March 23, 2024, 03:14:35 PM »
Is it on streaming yet?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2024, 11:29:16 AM »
Slight tangent, but every time I think I've seen all the uncut scenes from the original Dune, another one pops up. This one is with Harah, Jessica, and Alia. In some ways I can see why it was cut, because Alia's scream (using The Voice?) seems very forced. Nevertheless, despite the hate many have for the original (I like it), I would really love to see a full, uncut version of it someday. Even if it's five hours long.

https://youtu.be/dbaYiWE3Ttk
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2024, 09:17:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw

Might have been posted before.  There is a fan edit of the 80's Dune called the Spice Diver Fan Edit.  It adds in some deleted scenes.  I watched it a while back and liked it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2024, 09:19:49 PM »
I watched it and, aside from a couple dumb Hollywood tropes that should have been avoided, enjoyed it 100%. Now the more I think about it, the more problems I can find with it. Solution: don't think about it too much.
That is kind of my position.  I liked the movie.  It was very very well made.  A long movie that didn't seem long in the theater. 

There were just some departures from the book that bother me the more I think about it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2024, 09:26:57 PM »
Dune is about climate change......or something

‘Dune’ Is a Climate Story We Can Actually Root For
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-03-06/-dune-part-two-is-a-climate-story-we-can-actually-root-for?utm_source=website&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=twitter

Leftist Killjoys Co-Opt 'Dune', Stick Heads Up Own Arrakis Instead
https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/03/16/bloomberg-dune-climate-change-story-n2393970

Yes the climate of Arrakis and how it's creature including humans adapted to it is a part of the story but that doesn't make it a climate story.
Guy reminds me of that Family Guy character that thinks Star Trek is about Sulu

I think it was either in the Dune book or a prequel about Kines, there was plenty of water on Dune for it not to be a complete desert, but the little makers kept the water locked up underground.  I think the Fremen were setting up gardens in the far North and bribing the spacing guild to keep anyone from knowing about it.

It would be kind of interesting if we learned that earth's climate was changing due to the action of microbes of some kind. 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2024, 09:30:24 PM »
The departures are forgivable if it helps adapt the script to the screen. But there's too many other flaws.

It's never explained in-movie why they have lasguns, but don't use them.

Why did it take feyd rautha to come up with the idea of using artillery? Isn't "bomb the enemy's base" basically a starting strategy?

Why did they only use sandworms on the last battle?

Why did nuking the mountains throw giant boulders for miles but not kill everyone from radiation and shockwave?

Why can paul get stabbed X times and not need any rest or medical attention?

What's the point of any conflict in the movie if the bene gesserit basically call every shot ever anyway?

It's a really good movie as long as you don't ask questions. Reinforcing my theory that the main problem with modern Hollywood is always writing.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2024, 09:36:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw

Might have been posted before.  There is a fan edit of the 80's Dune called the Spice Diver Fan Edit.  It adds in some deleted scenes.  I watched it a while back and liked it.

Hey, thanks for that, Mech.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2024, 09:49:14 PM »
The departures are forgivable if it helps adapt the script to the screen. But there's too many other flaws.

It's never explained in-movie why they have lasguns, but don't use them.

Why did it take feyd rautha to come up with the idea of using artillery? Isn't "bomb the enemy's base" basically a starting strategy?

Why did they only use sandworms on the last battle?

Why did nuking the mountains throw giant boulders for miles but not kill everyone from radiation and shockwave?

Why can paul get stabbed X times and not need any rest or medical attention?

What's the point of any conflict in the movie if the bene gesserit basically call every shot ever anyway?

It's a really good movie as long as you don't ask questions. Reinforcing my theory that the main problem with modern Hollywood is always writing.
I think they briefly mentioned the laser gun issue with shields in the first movie.  It never explained why people were using lasers all the time.  There was a scene in the first movie where one character was flying out of the city to get away.  They were firing lasers at him which would seem stupid if he had shields on the craft.  Destroy the whole city. 

They compressed the timeline a great deal in this version so Paul and Chani's relationship doesn't get much time.  Paul was with the Fremen for 2 or 3 years. 

The Fremen were the greatest fighters in the universe from the start in the movie rather than learning the weirding way from Paul and Jessica to make them even better.  Again, no time for that to happen. 

In the book, Paul knew how to make rockets and other weapons the Fremen started using.  He also had been training at guerilla warfare tactics and advising the Fremen in their raids on the Harkonnen.  That was part of what gained him respect such that he was recognized as the leader. 

There is probably other stuff about the movie I may have missed.  Since I have read the book, some of the back story is assumed.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2024, 10:41:54 PM »
Slight tangent, but every time I think I've seen all the uncut scenes from the original Dune, another one pops up. This one is with Harah, Jessica, and Alia. In some ways I can see why it was cut, because Alia's scream (using The Voice?) seems very forced. Nevertheless, despite the hate many have for the original (I like it), I would really love to see a full, uncut version of it someday. Even if it's five hours long.

https://youtu.be/dbaYiWE3Ttk

I prefer the '84 version as well with the only disagreement being that somebody younger than Kyle MacLaclan should have started the movie and Kyle come in after the wars had started.
I didn't really like seeing Thufir die that way despite knowing from the book that he had pulled his own heart plug.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #309 on: March 25, 2024, 09:10:06 AM »
The whole "using sounds as a weapon" seems cheezy now.  However, at least it got the point across that Paul and Jessica had something to teach and helped the Fremen become better fighters.