Author Topic: Dune  (Read 19320 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Dune
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2021, 10:59:22 AM »
Not as cool as the one with the Pink Floyd soundtrack, but not bad.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2021, 11:16:43 AM »
My first experience with the Dune book was a book on tape.  About a dozen cassettes.  Listened to most of it on a hung over Saturday.  I read the book later and picked up on a lot of the background information.  The book is great. 

I like the idea of re-reading it before the movie.  We will see.  Thinking of reading the Lord of the Rings first.  I haven't read that in a long time.  Working on Out of the Silent Planet right now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2021, 11:28:31 AM »
They picked that girl from Spiderman: Far from Home for the Fremen girl.  In this case, her looks fit. 

I like the armor they showed at the end of the trailer. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2021, 11:36:12 AM »
Seeing it in a theater is mandatory in my book.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2021, 05:54:26 PM »
My first experience with the Dune book was a book on tape.  About a dozen cassettes.  Listened to most of it on a hung over Saturday.  I read the book later and picked up on a lot of the background information.  The book is great. 

I like the idea of re-reading it before the movie.  We will see.  Thinking of reading the Lord of the Rings first.  I haven't read that in a long time.  Working on Out of the Silent Planet right now.

The Lewis Space Trilogy is very good. That Hideous Strength is a particularly frightening book. (Because he understands human nature so well.)

I may have to reread Dune. I loved the book and the David Lynch version as well. I'm sure I said it before (probably in this very thread) that the movie feels like they spent all their money making the first half of the movie and then had to finish the second half in 30 minutes or less.

This one looks like it could be good. I have very little faith that modern Hollywood will do it well, though, but every now and then they mess up and make something impressive.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2021, 06:39:41 PM »
The Lewis Space Trilogy is very good. That Hideous Strength is a particularly frightening book. (Because he understands human nature so well.)

Shamefully, I only recently became aware of this trilogy right here on APS. I bought the full trilogy for my kindle. There are five books ahead of it in my kindle queue right now, but I look forward to reading it.

I need to reread that dang foundation series as well. It's been more like 40 years since I last read those. I think I may even still have the paperbacks from back then in a box somewhere around here. I think it will be good Wintertime reading.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2021, 10:22:27 PM »
Shamefully, I only recently became aware of this trilogy right here on APS. I bought the full trilogy for my kindle. There are five books ahead of it in my kindle queue right now, but I look forward to reading it.

I need to reread that dang foundation series as well. It's been more like 40 years since I last read those. I think I may even still have the paperbacks from back then in a box somewhere around here. I think it will be good Wintertime reading.
I am not sure I want to re-read Foundation.  I will have to think about it.  I need to get Lord of the Rings on my Kindle.  The book I have was published for Tolkien's 100th birthday.  It has artwork from the artist that helped make the movies.  It isn't in bad shape, but not as tight as it was new.  I hate to drag it around everywhere while reading.

The Out of the Silent Planet series is one of several I bought on a classic spree I got on a couple years ago.  Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, Brace New World, Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, War of the Worlds.  Can't think of any others I got.  Just figured I wanted a copy of them. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2021, 10:55:36 PM »
Dune - while I like the original movie, they tried to cover too many years and should have used someone younger than Kyle MacLachlan at the beginning.  I have (and have read) all the Dune books.  I have also read the Foundation books (and no desire to reread them at this time!).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:45:12 PM by JTHunter »
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Pb

• friend
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2021, 12:31:55 AM »
"Dune" is one of my favorite novels.

"Dune Messiah" was "ok."

I just finished "Children of Dune" for the first time.

Horrible... Frank Herbert took pretentious dreck prose dial and turned it up to 11/10 for this novel... he took the few bad traits of "Dune" and magnified them to titanic size.

No human being talks or thinks anything like the people in the book.  Much of the dialogue is basically incomprehensible.

Beloved characters undergo horrific personality changes.  The plot is terrible.

The "transformation" at the end is incredibly stupid.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2021, 08:24:55 AM »

"Dune Messiah" was "ok."

Horrible... Frank Herbert took pretentious dreck prose dial and turned it up to 11/10 for this novel... he took the few bad traits of "Dune" and magnified them to titanic size.

No human being talks or thinks anything like the people in the book.  Much of the dialogue is basically incomprehensible.

Now that you mention it, I think I might not have liked the following books myself. Perhaps reading them 30 years later I might have a different opinion, but I think I might not have even finished Children of Dune.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2021, 11:21:36 AM »
One thing I've read about Lewis's "scientifiction" is that he knew his descriptions of Mars and Venus were not consistent with what was known about them at the time. Not surprisingly, he was taking his cues from mythology. Lewis gonna Lewis.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2021, 11:51:56 AM »
Now that you mention it, I think I might not have liked the following books myself. Perhaps reading them 30 years later I might have a different opinion, but I think I might not have even finished Children of Dune.
I was warned about the follow on books.  I listened to one or two of the prequel books, but didn't like them as much and gave up.  It is great stand alone book.  I can let my imagination work on what might have happened.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »
I was warned about the follow on books.  I listened to one or two of the prequel books, but didn't like them as much and gave up.  It is great stand alone book.  I can let my imagination work on what might have happened.

Yeah, if I were you, I'd just quit after the first book.

I am on "God Emperor of Dune" now.  It is actually readable, but so far the plot is laughable. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2021, 05:29:29 PM »
Yeah, if I were you, I'd just quit after the first book.

I am on "God Emperor of Dune" now.  It is actually readable, but so far the plot is laughable.

I always thought of it as "God Awful of Dune".  Herbert was going somewhere, but I wasn't interested enough to follow any further.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2021, 06:30:40 PM »
I always thought of it as "God Awful of Dune".  Herbert was going somewhere, but I wasn't interested enough to follow any further.

"God Emperor of Dune" is absurd it deserves a David Lynch film.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2021, 10:46:51 PM »
deleted - late to the party  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 11:24:25 PM by JTHunter »
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2021, 10:51:13 AM »

"Dune Messiah" was "ok."

I concur. I've read the first one many times. I read the second and third novels once when I was a teenager. I've never read any of the other dozen (or whatever) that were written by his son.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2021, 10:41:09 AM »
FOUNDATION Trailer 2 (NEW 2021) Sci-Fi Series
https://youtu.be/ijml1syQ3_0

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2021, 08:56:18 AM »
Looks like not only did they remove the Baron Harkonnen's red hair, which in the book helped connect him to Jessica but I can live with that, but they also did a race and gender swap of Liet Kynes in the name of wokeness to "modernize" the story. This fundamentally changes the character and how he was able to integrate in with the Freman. I can live with it I guess but not the reasons they give on why they felt the need to do it.

Reason for the DUNE 2021 Gender Swap Revealed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKZ7i-1v5NE
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:04:40 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2021, 03:01:55 PM »
So the guy is saying that a black woman is a more modern messenger.  That is just silly and shows he is politicizing the story to present day politics.  What other parts of the story did they mess with?  Telling the story is not their primary goal.

I just finished the book.  Chani (daughter of Liet Kynes) was on the trip with the men when Paul met her.  She had apparently proven herself and rode sand worms and all that.  She killed some men in duels later who had come to challenge Paul.  They made a point later in the book that a bunch of Imperial Troops attacked the home where Paul's son was killed and his sister was captured.  Only a handful of the troops managed to escape.  That was when the fighting age men were gone so it was all old men, women, and children fighting. 

My only criticism of the book reading it again is it seemed the ending was hurried.  He skipped over a whole bunch of stuff involving Paul training the Fremen, helping them develop rockets and artillery, helping them develop better tactics for attacking the Harkonens.  He then skipped over a lot of the final fighting.  Not a lot of mention of the Fremen gathering for the final battle, they were just there.  Was that needed?  I don't know.  Just thought a couple more chapters covering that stuff would have been nice.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2021, 03:47:38 PM »
I also was annoyed at the director for turning Liet Kynes into a woman.

Kynes is also supposed to be the sibling of Stilgar.... yet Stilgar is white in the film, and the "new and improved" female Kynes is black.

On the positive side, they released a clip of Paul and Gurney practicing knife fighting... and it is excellent!

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/09/dune-clip-timothee-chalamet-josh-brolin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2021, 10:51:08 AM »
Hmm. Reviews don't seem to look good. Example:

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/dune-review-denis-villeneuve-1234660459/

Personally, I ignore "professional film critics" as they seem to hate almost everything I like. Still, it can't be good PR. I will agree with him that the film has been so over-hyped that anything other than "spectacular" will be viewed by many as a failure.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2021, 11:20:59 AM »

Personally, I ignore "professional film critics" as they seem to hate almost everything I like. Still, it can't be good PR. I will agree with him that the film has been so over-hyped that anything other than "spectacular" will be viewed by many as a failure.

Most "professional film critics" lack the ability to just sit back and enjoy the show and far too often get too hung up on one single aspect, real or imagined, of a movie.

This for example
"Villeneuve’s film sees this story through the eyes of the great family’s young heir, Paul (Timothée Chalamet), and embraces the boy’s awestruck confusion at moving to a desert world and learning that he was bred to be the white savior of its native people. "

My guess without seeing the movie for myself is that he went into it with that view of the main character already cemented in his mind and that view could have colored his opinion of the whole movie

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 11:38:31 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »

Not everybody hates it:

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1433833732381741057
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2021, 11:37:53 AM »
Some more

Dune Blows Away All Expectations! The Reviews are In!
https://youtu.be/dbc4JhierFA
- Calvin and Hobbes