Author Topic: Dune  (Read 19390 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Dune
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2022, 02:27:32 PM »
"The movie removed Piter de Vries personality..."

That's one of my biggest gripes about this movie...

Compared to the book or the 1980s movie, this version almost completely obliterates the rational for WHY Spice Melange was so important to the empire.

The abilities of the mentats? Completely erased.

WHY the mentats existed? Completely erased.

The explanation of how Spice permitted expansion of the empire? Watered down to about a quarter section left-handed coughed reference that really didn't make contextual sense.

It was all -- Well, Spice is important, because it's a psychoactive drug. Hell, it's almost as if Arrakis is the far future Colombia, Spice is nothing more than cocaine, and the Harkonnens? Pablo Escobar's boys of the future.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2022, 07:34:45 PM »
Part 1 could have bee 4-5 hours and it would have been better. I'm thinking they should have made this at least a trilogy.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #202 on: August 19, 2022, 08:04:16 PM »
The Director plans a trilogy, with Dune Messiah being the third movie.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2023, 12:43:35 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #204 on: May 03, 2023, 12:53:05 PM »
OHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2023, 01:27:35 PM »
Hurry up, November!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #206 on: May 03, 2023, 01:43:42 PM »
Nice trailer!

I was glad to see the gladiatorial combat scene... that is my favorite one in the book.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #207 on: May 03, 2023, 01:48:18 PM »
Oops, wrong thread
bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2023, 01:51:48 PM »
Oops, wrong thread
bob

I was just coming back to ask what is the price of a 2x4 on Dune?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #209 on: May 03, 2023, 02:04:29 PM »
I was just coming back to ask what is the price of a 2x4 on Dune?

I am thinking that with the lack of suitable forestation on the planet all lumber would have to be imported from off planet. To have wood would be a symbol of wealth, in fact the ultra-wealthy. With that is mind and knowing the value of melange you could probably get enough lumber for a house for half a gram or so of spice. Maybe ;)

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #210 on: May 03, 2023, 02:50:33 PM »
I recall in the book the Fremen were trying to grow green plants near the poles and were bribing the spacing guild to keep quiet about it and keep satellites out of the sky.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2023, 03:44:45 PM »
New longer trailer

DUNE PART TWO Official Trailer 2 | 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUiz5dRdMdk
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2023, 05:13:40 PM »
Looking good so far. 

November 3rd.  Still a ways off.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #213 on: July 07, 2023, 03:57:09 PM »
New longer trailer

DUNE PART TWO Official Trailer 2 | 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUiz5dRdMdk

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2023, 04:45:23 PM »
Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm: "People have no interest in classic sci fi or super hero movies."

Dennis Villeneuve with Dune and Zack Snyder with Rebel Moon:  "I'd like to thank the Academy..."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2023, 04:49:23 PM »
Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm: "People have no interest in classic sci fi or super hero movies."

Dennis Villeneuve with Dune and Zack Snyder with Rebel Moon:  "I'd like to thank the Academy..."

Only if they meet the new diversity requirements.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2023, 05:29:41 PM »
"super hero movies."

INTRODUCING THE 77TH INSTALLMENT OF THE MARVEL/DC/NAMCO/WHO GIVES A *expletive deleted*ck UNIVERSE THIS MONTH!

AND WE PROMISE THAT THIS ONE IS ONLY HALF AS CRAPPY AS THE PREVIOUS 34!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2023, 05:30:35 PM »
"super hero movies."

INTRODUCING THE 77TH INSTALLMENT OF THE MARVEL/DC/NAMCO/WHO GIVES A *expletive deleted*ck UNIVERSE THIS MONTH!

AND WE PROMISE THAT THIS ONE IS ONLY HALF AS CRAPPY AS THE PREVIOUS 34!

And twice as woke
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2023, 10:04:23 AM »
Goddamn it!

Article on CNBC saying that the writer's and actor's strike could delay the release of Dune II later this year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/17/will-dune-part-two-move-to-2024-hollywood-strikes.html

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2023, 02:34:18 PM »
There are 2 "complaints" I had about the '84 version.  They tried to cover too much time in one film and that leads to the second problem.  They should have used a younger actor than McLachlan at the beginning of the movie.  He should not have appeared until after they had been ousted by the Harkonens and been fighting in the desert for a couple of years.
Other than that, the '84 battles were better, more visible and not as dark and hard to see as this newer version.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
I am hoping they better cover the battles to destroy the spice mining and take over the planet.  Even the book sort of glossed over that and kept everything in close to Paul.  One chapter they are still fighting and then it skips and they have the Harkonnens hemmed in around the capitol. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #221 on: August 25, 2023, 09:33:26 AM »
Goddamn it, it's official...

Dune part II has been pushed back to March 2024.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/24/dune-part-two-departs-2023-movie-calendar-amid-hollywood-strikes.html

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2023, 10:02:33 AM »
Bummer. I just read that "Dune will likely not be affected". Bastards.

Millionaires gotta fight for better wages though, yo.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2023, 10:03:52 AM »
Meanwhile except for rare exceptions like the above (Dune) 99% of people couldn't give a *expletive deleted*it about a Hollywood strike.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2023, 10:06:39 AM »
Yeah, because everyone in the movie industry is a multi-millionaire.

Don't fall into that trap, dude.

Its just like falling into the trap of believing EVERY corporate CEO of EVERY company, earns multi thousands of times more money that their employees.