Author Topic: Dune  (Read 20272 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Dune
« Reply #250 on: February 29, 2024, 10:06:02 AM »
I want to see it tonight as I know youtubers I watch will eventually spoil it and I would rather not have that happen.  I think I will check how full the seating appears to be for the early showings this afternoon after I get off work.

If you've read the book and/or seen the 84 version (yeah I know) and/or the Syfi version I don't think watching YT videos is going to spoil it for you all that much.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #251 on: February 29, 2024, 10:12:42 AM »
Now though, with the current 75" TV and sound system, ATMOS, etc., I don't really believe I'm losing any quality worth putting up with the movie theater negatives.

This plus everything WLJ said.

I've tweaked my system and viewing space to a point I'd put the experience up against pretty much any theater environment short of domed IMAX. Seats are comfy, I can control the thermostat and wear whatever I want, snacks are bottomless, and the beer is actually cold.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 02:26:09 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #252 on: February 29, 2024, 10:21:47 AM »
+1 on Brad, Ben, and WLJ's comments, I'm in the same spot. 

Non  IMAX theaters are nasty and annoying enough that the experience, even with their bigger screen and more watts is not actually better than my TV and Atmos at home.  SO while part of me wants to go catch this in IMAX, because I love the franchise and think this series is doing it justice, the larger part of me just wants to watch it in my jammies with my dogs.

Not to mention, I think the last time Mrs. Mush and I went to a movie theater (prolly 2018?) between tickets, snacks, and soft drinks we were out like $60.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #253 on: February 29, 2024, 10:31:08 AM »
wear whatever I want, snacks are bottomless, and the beer is actually cold.

Brad

Well as long as only the snacks are bottomless. Otherwise, TMI.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #254 on: February 29, 2024, 11:57:40 AM »
I'm gonna splurge and go see it in Imax.  I have a major work project happening overnight this weekend so I can't see it opening weekend, but I'm taking Friday off next week on kind of a flex basis for this weekend's emergency work.  I'll see it on a weekday while the crowds are elsewhere.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #255 on: February 29, 2024, 12:16:00 PM »
If you've read the book and/or seen the 84 version (yeah I know) and/or the Syfi version I don't think watching YT videos is going to spoil it for you all that much.
I have seen both of those and read the book.  I would still like to see this movie. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #256 on: February 29, 2024, 12:23:22 PM »
I have seen both of those and read the book.  I would still like to see this movie.

I wasn't saying don't see it just that if you have read/seen the others that a YT video probably won't spoil it for you
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 01:34:59 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #257 on: February 29, 2024, 02:05:20 PM »
I wasn't saying don't see it just that if you have read/seen the others that a YT video probably won't spoil it for you
It will because I don't know how this movie tells the story (what is left out/left in, etc).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #258 on: February 29, 2024, 02:27:03 PM »
I already ordered tickets. I don't have high hopes but it can't be that bad.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #259 on: February 29, 2024, 04:09:27 PM »
One of the major advantages for my wife and I to watch these movies at home is the closed captions.  With both of us having bilateral hearing losses, it helps with the dialog.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #260 on: February 29, 2024, 04:32:17 PM »
I already ordered tickets. I don't have high hopes but it can't be that bad.
My local theater has a 5:30 PM showing.  Unless the website is not updating, there are little if any advance tickets sold.  I guess most people just walk in here.  I am thinking the earlier showing won't be crowded.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #261 on: February 29, 2024, 05:06:54 PM »
Oh, one of the other reasons I'd rather be home: Back when I used to go to the theater, movies were always around 90-120min. Now most of them - especially big budget stuff - go well over two hours, closer to three. Dune 2 is 2h46m.

Man, I just cannot sit in one spot that long. Even in my super comfortable lounge chair, let alone theater seating. I pretty much stop all the really long movies I watch somewhere in the middle for a break of at least 15min, but often an hour or so. Sitting kills, as they say.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #262 on: February 29, 2024, 08:18:24 PM »
Yeah, that's a big one, Ben. It would be nice if the really long movies had intermissions in them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #263 on: February 29, 2024, 08:24:32 PM »
Yeah, that's a big one, Ben. It would be nice if the really long movies had intermissions in them.

Intermissions used to be the norm for long movies. Not sure when they stopped having them, maybe sometime around 1970 or so.

Typed that and then decided to google it. According to this 1982 in the US

First, a quick history lesson. As a 2014 Slate piece in defense of the intermission explains, a midway break was commonplace in cinemas back when theaters needed time to switch out reels. After reels were no longer needed, theaters kept intermissions going to give audiences a break, but eventually phased them out in lieu of packing more screenings into each day. According to SFGate, the last official movie to have an intermission in the U.S. was Gandhi in 1982.

Movies Are Too Long. We Need Intermissions Back.
https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a43250070/movie-intermissions-why-bring-back/

- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #264 on: March 01, 2024, 07:32:08 AM »
I saw Ghandi with the girl I was dating at the time.

I don't remember there being an intermission, but I do remember that, half way through the movie, I started feeling weird. Then I started feeling dizzy and sick, and by the time we got out of there she had to drive my car home because I was feeling so bad.

I ended up catching some weird virus that was going around. Made me dizzy as hell for several days, then gave me a dry cough from hell.... with muscle spasms in my chest that felt like my ribs were shattering.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure that I ever remember seeing a movie with an intermission. I'm sure that I did, I just don't recall.

But, this is my shocked face that theaters would actually drop the intermission in order to get one more showing in...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #265 on: March 01, 2024, 10:09:07 AM »
^^^But did she bail at that point or was there another date?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #266 on: March 01, 2024, 10:24:48 AM »
It was an... odd... relationship, for she was truly an odd girl.

But she had some redeeming attributes...  >:D

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #267 on: March 01, 2024, 10:24:07 PM »
It has very likely been over 20 years since I went to an indoor sit-down theater.
In that same timeframe, I may have gone to a drive-in movie a couple of times.  Between cable and now satellite, I don't need "theaters" as I'm willing to wait and watch them for (almost) free.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2024, 11:01:09 PM »
I saw the movie at a 5:30 showing yesterday.  It wasn't crowded.  Maybe 10 other people, but maybe that was due to the early showing.  It isn't a busy theater. 

The movie was very well made.  Great effects and visuals.  It either departs from the book or omits somethings that might upset someone who is dedicated to the book.  It seems like it was setting up a 3rd movie so we will see where that goes.  I hate to get into any details to spoil things.  Plenty of spoiler reviews on youtube if you want to hear about it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2024, 07:40:37 AM »
Just remembered another movie that DEMANDED to be seen in the theater...

Prometheus.

Mtnbkr and I saw it when it came out.

Visually stunning movie. Just gorgeous filming and editing.

Story? Not so much. Some of the performances were quite good, but overall it was... lacking.

I was wondering if I was missing something until I realized that Mtnbkr was checking his watch. He wasn't that crazy about it, either.

Fortunately Alien: Covenant then came out (I didn't see it in the theaters) and it was such an incredible shitshow that it made Prometheus look like an Oscars sweep movie.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #270 on: March 02, 2024, 07:53:27 AM »
According to this the first one did $434 million worldwide.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2024/03/01/dune-part-two-grosses-11-million-in-previews-best-since-barbenheimer/?sh=31403371120e

Compared to what Hollywood usually expects nowadays that not that great for a big budget movie but for a more serious Sci Fi movie pretty good IMHO. These movies are more for those who enjoy hard Sci Fi more than the usual Star Wars type fan and frankly I'm both surprised and happy they were green lit probably knowing full well they weren't going to draw in massive numbers. I find that encouraging in today's Hollywood.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2024, 08:09:07 AM »
Tried to read that article on Forbes...

Oh! Hey! You can't read this article because you have an ad blocker running! Please turn it off.

OK, good, thank you for turning your ad blocker off.

Here, have an ad. And a few more... AND A FEW THOUSAND MORE! THAT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH! EAT POP UP ADS, BITCH!

Never could read the article. Got the jist of it from the first paragraph. And Forbes is firmly in my "not worth the ad soaked trouble" category.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2024, 08:12:08 AM »
Tried to read that article on Forbes...

Oh! Hey! You can't read this article because you have an ad blocker running! Please turn it off.

OK, good, thank you for turning your ad blocker off.

Here, have an ad. And a few more... AND A FEW THOUSAND MORE! THAT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH! EAT POP UP ADS, BITCH!

Never could read the article. Got the jist of it from the first paragraph. And Forbes is firmly in my "not worth the ad soaked trouble" category.

I'm using the uBlock Origin ad blocker in Firefox and it came right up for me.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #273 on: March 02, 2024, 08:19:47 AM »
I'm using Adblocker Plus.

Apparently Forbes now recognizes it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2024, 08:23:07 AM »
According to something I read on the all knowing internet uBlock Origin is what Brave has built in as it's ad blocker. I have notice similar ad behavior from both brave and Firefire with uBlock
- Calvin and Hobbes