Author Topic: Bluetooth Hearing Protection?  (Read 1051 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Bluetooth Hearing Protection?
« on: August 26, 2020, 08:45:15 AM »
Do any of you use Bluetooth hearing protection? I've been using these for about a year:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCOEFQT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

They do very well with hearing protection. The music sound is great. If someone calls me, unlike some other bluetooth stuff I have, they seamlessly let me answer the call and people can hear me fine on the mic even when I'm on my tractor. They are very comfortable.

The one single con: The bluetooth is the most horrible bluetooth in the universe. I literally can't move the phone more than two feet from them without the connection getting wonky. It doesn't lose connection completely, but music starts and stops, often several times a minute. When mowing the lawn, forget about putting the phone in the back pocket, because the signal gets wonky.  I have to keep the phone in a shirt chest pocket (if I have such a shirt on).

That con really affects all the pros of these headphones. They have put out a "version 2", but I'm hesitant to spend the $100 (mine were $70) if they do the same thing as mine. I suppose I can get them and try them and return them if they suck, but if any of you use something similar that you like, I'd be interested in checking it out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Bluetooth Hearing Protection?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 09:16:23 AM »
I have some Walker Razor ear insert protection that has blue tooth.  They are okay, but are not very comfortable compared to the soft foam ear plugs so I stopped using them.  I have some muffs that have blue tooth, but I haven't used the blue tooth much.  I normally just crank up the microphone a little so I can hear what is around me.  I think the blue tooth on the Walker stuff was okay, but I don't have top of the line. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 11:25:38 AM »
I have ones from a company called Axis.  They're pretty good.  I like that they  allow for bluetooth sync and music, but allow ambient noise to be passed in as well.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 12:14:24 PM »

That con really affects all the pros of these headphones. They have put out a "version 2", but I'm hesitant to spend the $100 (mine were $70) if they do the same thing as mine. I suppose I can get them and try them and return them if they suck, but if any of you use something similar that you like, I'd be interested in checking it out.

I’ll let you know in a few days how the 2.0 work. This reminded me I’ve had these sitting in my Amazon list for awhile. So I decided to get them to try.

I currently use a full BT headset on the Tractor that I hate. I use AirPods for just music, talking on phone, but they don’t provide hearing protection. For shooting I use muffs that also have the electronics to allow talking through, but I don’t like them for Tractor work other non shooting stuff where I want to listen to music, radio whatever at the same time I’m working.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 02:25:39 PM »
I’ll let you know in a few days how the 2.0 work. This reminded me I’ve had these sitting in my Amazon list for awhile. So I decided to get them to try.

That would be awesome, Mike! If the bluetooth is at all better, I'd spring for the updated set since I like everything else about them.

I have a nice set of MSA shooting muffs with all the gadget connections that would otherwise work for me, but they don't work well with cowboy hats.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »
Any preference between earplugs and earmuffs? I have a pair of 3M Peltor WS Alert XP. Earmuffs, bluetooth capable, has a boom microphone that folds up to the left, easy to answer with just a button on the same side as the mic, IIRC. Range of the bluetooth is...extensive. I think I had to move probably 15-20 meters from my phone, which was charging in a small concrete room too for the music to cut off. If there are no barriers, the range is a lot more than that. Pretty expensive though, I had to pay a the equivalent of $300 for mine. Battery life is about one week of work, using disposable batteries. Also, music pauses (I think, haven´t given it much thought when I answer calls on it) when you take a call.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 04:59:08 PM »
Update for you Ben. I got these today from the Evil Company.

https://www.amazon.com/ISOtunes-Headphones-Durability-Cancelling-Professional/dp/B081K5RXR2

I believe they are the updated version you referred to. I charged them up and connected them to my iPhone. It’s a fairly new 11 Pro. That was easy so far.

I played Frisbee with the dog for awhile swapping pockets the Phone was in and it never seemed to drop out. I also left it on my patio and walked out to the chicken pen to give them some scrap food. That’s almost 120 feet away from the patio, but line of sight. It did not drop out during the walk out or back. It did drop once quickly while I was leaning in collecting eggs.

It did drop out when I walked around to the other side of my house while the phone was still on the patio. I expected this, my house is concrete block construction with stucco so wire mesh in there too. I was able to go inside deposit eggs and wash my hands without it dropping out with only one layer of concrete/stucco and about 30 foot or so distance when I went inside on the side with the patio.

I’ll let you know how it works while on the Tractor tomorrow, Tractor is at my parents for some driveway repair. So far so good.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:15:55 PM by MikeB »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 05:29:32 PM »
Thanks loads Mike! That is so phenomenal on the BT, that it would almost make me think I had a defective pair of version 1, if it were not for all the other reviews agreeing with me.

I look forward to your tractor report. If it's as good as what you posted so far, I'm going to update to the new version. When you're on the tractor, if you wouldn't mind sticking the phone in your pants pocket for a while, or behind the seat or something, it would be greatly appreciated. My current set always cuts in and out if I have my phone in my back pocket on the tractor.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 06:02:32 PM »
Thanks loads Mike! That is so phenomenal on the BT, that it would almost make me think I had a defective pair of version 1, if it were not for all the other reviews agreeing with me.

I look forward to your tractor report. If it's as good as what you posted so far, I'm going to update to the new version. When you're on the tractor, if you wouldn't mind sticking the phone in your pants pocket for a while, or behind the seat or something, it would be greatly appreciated. My current set always cuts in and out if I have my phone in my back pocket on the tractor.

Yeah. No problem. I use the back pocket on the tractor a lot too for my phone when I don’t have pants or shorts with cargo pockets on. I’ll try some different pockets. I’ll be doing some implement changes as well as working up and down the driveway so should get a good feel for them since I’ll be doing some contortions as well.

I think I like them already, but need to try with the Tractor cranked up. I wear glasses and often a baseball cap when on the tractor so the regular muffs get some leak through which causes me to have to crank up the volume of what I’m trying to listen too. Hoping these will work better. I also like to wear a floppy brimmed hat sometimes for sun protection/shade which as with a cowboy hat does not work with muffs which is what prompted me to look at these initially.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »
Yeah. No problem. I use the back pocket on the tractor a lot too for my phone when I don’t have pants or shorts with cargo pockets on. I’ll try some different pockets. I’ll be doing some implement changes as well as working up and down the driveway so should get a good feel for them since I’ll be doing some contortions as well.

I think I like them already, but need to try with the Tractor cranked up. I wear glasses and often a baseball cap when on the tractor so the regular muffs get some leak through which causes me to have to crank up the volume of what I’m trying to listen too. Hoping these will work better. I also like to wear a floppy brimmed hat sometimes for sun protection/shade which as with a cowboy hat does not work with muffs which is what prompted me to look at these initially.

Thanks. One thing that I notice helps me on the tractor is instead of looping the wire around the back of my neck, just doing so from the front. Otherwise, especially if it's hot and my neck gets sweaty, if I turn my head back to see what the implement is doing, the cable can stick to my neck and work the plugs loose.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
anybody have experience with the 3M worktunes? over the ear muffs with bluetooth.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 06:20:39 PM »
Update for Ben.

I used the isotunes today on the tractor for a couple hours. I had expected it to be longer, but weather didn't cooperate and I had someone that kept trying to talk to me so I had to keep taking one side of the plugs out for the first half hour or so. However I did not lose the bluetooth or have a drop in audio at anytime except once when I'm pretty sure it was due to some kind of notification or IM. My Airpods will do that too. For almost the entire time my phone was in my back pocket. I was also doing a lot of work in reverse pushing with the landscape rake instead of pulling material forward, trying to push gravel out of grass without pressing it into the ground with the tires. So I was twisting around a lot. Also spent some of that time installing gauge wheels on the rake and adjusting them which was difficult as the wheels didn't want to slide in or out of the bushings, so there was a lot of pounding with a large hammer and alternatively standing up and crouching down.

To me they seem to work great, no issues with drop outs/Bluetooth and the hearing protection part also works very well.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 06:25:01 PM »
Awesome, thanks Mike! I'm gonna order the updated set.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 05:11:22 PM »
Any suggestions for Bluetooth neckband speakers.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 10:16:22 AM »
Well, just got the updated Isotunes a couple of days ago. What a difference! All the good stuff from version 1 is still just as good, but the Bluetooth actually works well now. They seem to have changed the music controls a little, but I'll figure that out. Hearing protection actually seems to be better. Either my foam inserts on the old set was getting worn, or the new foam is better, but there's a very noticeable improvement in hearing protection.

Thanks again for doing the review MikeB!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 06:16:10 PM »
I just bought over the ear full coverage muffs w Bluetooth and AM/FM.
3m worktunes pro on sale for $54 at our local farm supply.
So far I like them a lot. Have not made or received a phone call through them but it’s supposed to be possible with the built in mike I haven’t found yet. Very comfortable. I plan on using them on tractor and chainsaw and log splitter (really loud!) and mowing etc. I listen to podcasts or radio or stored music files and I’ll know if a call comes in. Radio reception is not stellar but adequate.
I have a pair of BT ear buds with the neck cord but when I get sweaty and swivel my head it drags on my neck and pulls one side out. They work ok at the gym but annoy me everywhere else.
What we have here is failure to communicate.