Main Forums > The Roundtable

Backup driver charged with negligent homicide in autonomous car

<< < (2/2)

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote from: makattak on September 17, 2020, 10:01:55 AM ---
...I also have to wonder about people who jaywalk at night, in the dark, in dark clothing, and just ASSUME the car will stop for them.

--- End quote ---

I see it all the time, especially as days get shorter. We have a popular neighborhood park near the house. It's unnerving how many people will be jogging/walking/whatever in the early morning or at night with no light, and while wearing dark clothing and nothing reflective. More than once the only reason I had any kind of warning someone was there was because their dog's eyes reflected back.

Campus is even worse because of the "Yield to Pedestrians" rule which must somehow magically alter the laws of physics. People will walk straight out into the road - head down, staring at their phones, and with headphones in - without breaking stride or so much as a sideways glance. They just presume everyone will yield no matter how close or fast that car, truck, or bus might be. The really fun ones are those walking straight down a sidewalk who suddenly do a 90 to cross the road. No warning, no projection, no signaling, nothing. Just BAM! and suddenly they're in the roadway. That's the pedestrians. Don't even get me started on the bicyclists who think they own the whole damn road and that traffic laws don't apply to them.

Brad

Pb:
I think I remember this case.  I saw the video.  I believe it was a homeless woman who just walked out in front of the car in the dark.  I think it would have been hard for a human driver to stop in time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version