Author Topic: Windows 10 issue  (Read 576 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Windows 10 issue
« on: September 17, 2020, 01:08:11 AM »
My newest laptop computer (a Toshiba satellite) finally got around to updating itself from release 1909 to release 2004. When It was finished (25 HOURS later!), I wanted to use it to log some time on my timesheet. The firm I work with uses an on-line time and expense reporting system that only runs on Internet Explorer.

And ... the notebook doesn't have Internet Explorer on it. To be honest, I don't remember if it did before the update, but it doesn't have it now. I downloaded and [supposedly] installed Internet Explorer directly from Microsoft -- and it's not there.  It doesn't show up anywhere on the Start menu.

I got the time entered from my desktop computer, which still has IE even after the update to release 2004. Can anyone offer a guess as to why it's not on the laptop -- and how I can put it there?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Windows 10 issue
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 02:15:57 AM »
Disregard.

After following innumerable web links that were of zero help, I finally found one that explained how to turn on Windows features that aren't enabled. That's all that was needed -- Internet Exploder was hiding right there all the time.

Now I'm curious to see what else is disabled that I might want.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 10:46:44 AM »
Internet Exploder is pretty much gone. It's Edge now.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 11:23:07 AM »
Internet Exploder is pretty much gone. It's Edge now.

I know. That's why I was so amazed when the payroll program wouldn't run in Edge. It needs IE.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 11:50:48 AM »
I know. That's why I was so amazed when the payroll program wouldn't run in Edge. It needs IE.

The program is limited to a browser which is no longer supported (meaning no security updates)? Yikes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 12:03:22 PM »
It's usually still installed even in newer installs of W10, usually just hidden deep because some programs require it .
Some steam games requite IE to start. For example, uninstalled IE and Civ 5 gave me all kinds of trouble to start properly until I reinstalled it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:32:38 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes