Author Topic: Boots...  (Read 2573 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Boots...
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 12:59:22 AM »
Oh, behave!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 11:18:37 AM »
Here ya go!

I was thinking Nancy Sinatra, but if that works for ya...
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 06:24:37 PM »
I was thinking Nancy Sinatra, but if that works for ya...

If Mike wants to wear go-go boots, that's up to him. I won't judge.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 03:44:31 PM »
Just ordered a pair of 5.11 ATAC 2.0 6" side zips.

Got free shipping and 10% off. Should be here some time next week.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 04:57:59 PM »
Just ordered a pair of 5.11 ATAC 2.0 6" side zips.

Got free shipping and 10% off. Should be here some time next week.

If you decide you like them, you'd better get a second pair to keep in reserve. I was interested in the model and looked them up, and at least at LA Police, they are listed as "some options discontinued", which usually means all options will be discontinued in the near future.

At least in my experience, as soon as I find a "perfect boot", it is discontinued before your first pair wears out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 05:32:09 PM »
Oh hell, I'm used to that since I started wearing New Balance sports shoes.

They discontinue stuff about as quickly as Sig does.

But, given that a pair of boots normally lasts me a decade or more, I'm not really all that interested in spending another $100 just to have them sit and gather dust.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »

But, given that a pair of boots normally lasts me a decade or more, I'm not really all that interested in spending another $100 just to have them sit and gather dust.

Well, yeah, then it doesn't make sense. My boots usually don't last two years these days, so I'm constantly having to search for replacements when my current models are discontinued.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2020, 07:26:42 AM »
I'm a casual boot wearer, I don't put a lot of stress on them like someone who wears them for work in a lot of different conditions.

Castle Key wears 5.11s because that's what he was issued on his old job. He largely lives in his boots and they've worn like iron for him. Not sure the model that they're issued, though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2020, 07:07:25 PM »
Well, it's either "Dammit, Irwin!" or "Thanks, Irwin!" With the talk of the ATACs in this thread, I kept looking at them because they looked very similar to the Blackhawk boots I like that aren't made anymore. Coincidentally a few weeks ago, LAPG had 20% off on 5.11s, so I said what the hell and got the 8" ATACs.

Turns out these are in fact just as comfortable as my old Blackhawks, and guess what? I like the zipper. I guess that bad pair of Danners just prematurely soured me on zippers. I've been wearing these around the farm and for town runs for the last couple of weeks, and they're comfortable and grippy on the loose gravel and stuff around here. The zipper has been super convenient, and I'm getting zero biting from it. These probably wouldn't be good boots for the kind of hiking I do, but as chore and knockaround boots, they seem to be a winner, especially for the price.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2020, 06:27:21 AM »
My pleasure...

I'm still getting mine broken in. Need to wear them more.