Author Topic: RATZ! Maglite edition  (Read 1216 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
RATZ! Maglite edition
« on: September 26, 2020, 04:02:43 PM »
I carry a 2 C-cell Maglite flashlight in my car. The last time I checked it, it was bright. I checked it today and it was dead. When I opened it up, I found that the batteries had leaked, and corroded the inside of the light into a useless mess. It's scrap.

So now I have to decide whether to replace it, or just move one of the 2 D-cell Maglites from the house to the car. If I replace it, do I pay the premium for an LED model, or buy another of their traditional Xenon bulb units and reuse the LED conversion I had in the one that died?

Decisions, decisions.

I'm leaning toward replacing it. Looking on Amazon, I see there's one LED 2 C-cell model that costs less than the incandescent (Xenon) unit -- but the cheap LED one doesn't have a switch, it turns on and off by rotating the head, like the Mini-Maglites. I've never cared for that system, and I have converted my minis with the third-party LED kit that includes a tailcap switch. The 2 C-cell LED model with a switch costs almost 50% more than the incandescent, and it apparently requires a PhD in programming to figure out all the operating modes it offers. Since I only want to to turn on and off, I'm leaning strongly in the direction of buying another of the conventional Maglites, just like the one that got destroyed.

Lesson learned. Through destructive removal techniques I was able to get one of the batteries out. It's a no-name battery, so no guarantee that if it leaks they'll replace the device. I don't even know where those batteries came from -- I can't recall ever seeing the brand in a store or on-line. I think it makes sense to always buy Energizer or Duracell.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: RATZ! Maglite edition
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 04:15:00 PM »
Are you using this as a light, or a club?

If it's only used as a light, this a good time to switch to a Streamlight ProTac 2Lx. Takes up less storage space, and uses 18650 batteries, or CR123.

If this is a club, I'd go for at least the 3D, preferably the 4D, definitely get the LED model.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 04:32:19 PM »
The ultimate "club" Maglite was the 5C model.  Alas, they don't make it anymore, as I found out when alkaline batteries ate mine.  Mag replaced it with a 4C model, which just doesn't feel right.  The 3D is better; I don't know about the 4D.

If you want a real flashlight and not a club, get something LED that takes 18650's and CR123's (if takes both, I think that means it has voltage regulation)  I have a S&W "Delta Force" and a Chinese Ultrafire knockoff that cost about 1/3 of the S&W.  I like both of 'em.  The S&W has a little better beam pattern, and you can stand it on the tailcap to light up a room by shining on the ceiling.  The Ultrafire has a tail-piece on/off click switch that I like, but it won't stand on its end.  It also gets kinda hot when you use it for any length of time, the S&W just gets warm.  The Ultrafire works better with flattop batteries cuz it has spring terminal at both ends.  The S&W needs button top batteries or a fiddly little adapter.

I trust the S&W more, but for quick errands in the dark where I really don't have to trust it I usually grab the Ultrafire.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 05:20:14 PM »
Are you using this as a light, or a club?

Light.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 05:33:39 PM »
Light.
If you can afford the Streamlight 2X-L that bedlamite recommended then that is what I would recommend too. Combined with a good quality 18650 and a charger and you will have a better light, smaller and lighter weight, and it will be years before you have to replace the battery. You will have tons of use between charges, and because it is rechargeable you will use it whenever you need to.

Light comes on full when you click (or partially press) the switch. It has a strobe mode and dim mode, but unless you want to get to them you can just use the click on/click off for the bright light.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 05:34:24 PM »
Light.

Then definitely think about the advice given above. The little Fenix that fits in the palm of my hand that I EDC, puts out more light than my 3C Maglite does.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 05:40:31 PM »
Options.
If your led conversion will work with C or D......I can send you a very nice 2 D body and lens assembly for reasonable cost or you can sell me the led unit.
I still have a soft spot for the maglight and I have several even though almost everything else out there is better. My favorites are a surefire G2 w gene Malkoff conversion and a pro tac rechargeable and I would not give up my fenix rechargeable headlamp for anything.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 05:50:26 PM »
Or I can trade you a brass civil defense issue rayovac with the right amount of patina and dents or an unused viet nam era green plastic angle head GI lamp!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 06:15:32 PM »
Another vote for Fenix. PD35 v2. Carry one at work. Love it. Spanks a 2C Mag for output. Five lighting levels plus strobe

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35-v2-0-led-flashlight-1000-lumens/

CR123 batteries for extended storage. The Fenix 3500mah 18650 for more regular use. The only thing I dislike is an inability to tail-sit. Minor gripe, though.

I still have several Mags. I stopped trying to guess about battery life. They get fresh batteries every year regardless of battery use or condition.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 08:22:57 PM »
I had a 2D LED Maglight. It died not too long after I got it. It was one of the earlier models, so maybe they had issues, but I didn't trust them enough to get another one.

Bought a 1500 lumen Fenix TK26R earlier this year and have been very happy with it. I almost got the PD35 v2 that Brad linked to, but I wanted something with more range so that I could light something up across a field. It doesn't last nearly as long as the PD35, but it is very bright and doesn't have any problem illuminating things 100 yards or more away like its daylight.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk26r-tactical-flashlight-1500-lumens/
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »
Another vote for Fenix. PD35 v2. Carry one at work. Love it. Spanks a 2C Mag for output. Five lighting levels plus strobe

I have a Fenix PD35. Nothing about it is terrible, but nothing about it would impel me to buy another.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 10:27:26 PM »

Bought a 1500 lumen Fenix TK26R earlier this year and have been very happy with it. I almost got the PD35 v2 that Brad linked to, but I wanted something with more range so that I could light something up across a field. It doesn't last nearly as long as the PD35, but it is very bright and doesn't have any problem illuminating things 100 yards or more away like its daylight.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk26r-tactical-flashlight-1500-lumens/

Hey, that's a cool light. It does red and green too.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 10:57:35 PM »
Switch to a modern reliable light with lithium batteries. Maglites are outdated junk.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »
Switch to a modern reliable light with lithium batteries. Maglites are outdated junk.

Except as a combination light/club.

When I was shortly out of high school, I worked for a security company. Unarmed security of course, but we were also not allowed any kind of offensive weapon. No knives, batons, not even pepper spray. But flashlights were just that, flashlights. Most carried a 3 or 4 d-cell light.  Being young and dumb I figured bigger was better, so I have a 6 d-cell Maglight. I carried it in the field as an EMT too. Usually just lived in the rig.  And I still have that light out in the garage... 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 07:35:10 AM »
I have my Dad's 3 or 4 D cell Mag light. Couple of years ago I got an LED bulb for it. Not very expensive and a lot better than the Argon-gassed bulb they used to use.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 10:14:39 AM »
Just remembered a flashlight story.
Years ago, there was a mail order company Early Winter that had lots of really cool and unusual products. I bought an exotic argon-something flashlight that was the size of a 2D. It had a cartridge that took 8 (maybe 6?) AAs. The light was awesome. Threw a big white beam that would punch thru fog and darkness.
One day got a package with a warning letter telling me to replace the bulb and battery cartridge with the enclosed 2 D cells and bulb due to risk of explosion.
Well I did as told and crap all I had was a plain old 2 cell. Hell with that! I swapped back to the awesomeness which had been working great.
Couple months later driving back from a South Dakota p dog shooting and camping and drinking trip we heard a Big Bang while rolling down a hot interstate in my friends truck. Truck was running just fine and we looked at each other thinking maybe he hit something we didn’t see. Got home to unpack and an ammo can that previously housed my flashlight was blown to shrapnel. Luckily it was packed under shooting mats and sleeping bags and coolers and etc. only damage was light and ammo can.
I guess they weren’t kidding...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
So much for awesomeness. I guess awesomeness comes at a price.