Author Topic: Trump / Biden Debate #1  (Read 8175 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump / Biden Debate #1
« on: September 29, 2020, 10:37:30 AM »
Might as well start the topic now. I usually just blow these off and catch the highlight videos and summaries, but I think I'll watch this one all the way through, at least in picture in picture mode if nothing else.

Pre-debate negotiations:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/09/29/good-lord-fnc-producer-reports-some-eyebrow-raising-new-details-about-debate-negotiations-ahead-of-tonights-trump-biden-face-off/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Trump / Biden Debate #1
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
Most of the pundit "reactions" to the debate are already written by each side. They just need to pluck out a few snippets afterward to support their narrative and send it off your friendly propaganda outlet. For that matter, most voters are going to see what they want/expect to see too.

The debates may function as something of a Rorschach Test. Voters expect their preferred candidate to perform best in Tuesday night’s debate, according to the POLITICO/Morning Consult poll. Overall, 44 percent of voters expect Biden to perform better on Tuesday, while 41 percent think Trump will perform better. But 88 percent of Biden voters think he’ll be the better debater, and 90 percent of Trump voters think the president will get the best of Biden.

Every debate I wish they would cut the mic when a candidate's time is up, but they never do that.  :mad:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 12:23:17 PM »
Has Biden received the list of questions yet?   ;)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 12:29:15 PM »
One possible scenario for tonight:

Joe will manage to exceed expectations, landing some serious shots on Trump, maybe even revealing a Sept/Oct surprise. This will give the media cover to declare Joe the winner and the next POTUS. (Can Trump recover!!)

Chris Wallace will be nakedly partisan helping Joe while working over Trump. (Trump flustered by hard facts!!)

Look for camera angles, lighting and sound all being used to help Joe and hurt Trump. (Trumps message was dark and angry!!).

Trump operated well his last election in enemy territory (debates) but the stakes are even higher this time around so all stops will be pulled out to take him down. (Joe knocks out Trump!!)

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »
Has Biden received the list of questions yet?   ;)

They're translating them into crayon as we speak
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 12:30:45 PM »
I just hope Trump has an ace up his sleeve- radio frequency jammer so Biden's earpiece malfunctions live.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 12:31:50 PM »
One possible scenario for tonight:

Joe will manage to exceed expectations, landing some serious shots on Trump, maybe even revealing a Sept/Oct surprise. This will give the media cover to declare Joe the winner and the next POTUS.

Chris Wallace will be nakedly partisan helping Joe while working over Trump.

Look for camera angles, lighting and sound all being used to help Joe and hurt Trump.

Trump operated well his last election in enemy territory (debates) but the stakes are even higher this time around so all stops will be pulled out to take him down.

I don't recall but did the MSM declare Trump the winner in any of the 2016 debates?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/trump-campaign-releases-17-questions-joe-biden-must-answer-debate

I wonder if Chris Wallace will bring up a single one of these issues?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 01:29:20 PM »
I just hope Trump has an ace up his sleeve- radio frequency jammer so Biden's earpiece malfunctions live.
Hmmm . . . and if he has a more powerful transmitter to overwhelm the one being used to feed Biden the answers . . .

Anyway, unless Biden shows up barefoot wearing soiled skivvies and a dirty tank top, the media will declare him the winner.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 01:33:11 PM »
I figure there's a nonzero chance we will see one of them stroke out on live TV.  Lots of chances to spike blood pressure happening tonight.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 01:34:29 PM »
Hmmm . . . and if he has a more powerful transmitter to overwhelm the one being used to feed Biden the answers . . .

Anyway, unless Biden shows up barefoot wearing soiled skivvies and a dirty tank top, the media will declare him the winner.

Are you kidding? Add to that do nothing but stare and drool into the camera and leave a piss puddle at the podium they would still declare him the winner
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 01:36:00 PM »
Every debate I wish they would cut the mic when a candidate's time is up, but they never do that.  :mad:

I wish they would do that too, no exceptions, no waiting for the last sentence to finish. It's all too often a game of playing favorites by the moderator, based on which side the moderator is on.

Has Biden received the list of questions yet?

I'm guessing that's part of why Biden wants the extra breaks - for his team to prep him and his " I can't remember what happened ten minutes ago" memory. No breaks, no earpieces.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 02:22:47 PM »
I wonder if they can get Biden off an talking about Cornpop, and other colorful personages he has known.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 02:28:02 PM »
Has Biden received the list of questions yet?   ;)

No .... just the answers.  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
I keep seeing people saying that Biden has changed his sleep schedule and will be hopped up on vitamin C and other things so he'll be fresh and peppy for the debates.

So if I were Trump and I thought that was true I would push back the debate a few hours due to having to handle some kind of crisis in the world. And given all the things that happen on a given day that would be easy.

Those few hours might cause Biden to fade before the debate even starts and then we'll see the real Biden.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2020, 03:20:06 PM »
The Biden campaign has now rejected a demand by the Trump campaign to have both candidates' ears inspected by a third party for electronic listening devices.  The Biden campaign had originally agreed to the inspection, but now has refused to allow it.
Something that makes you go, "Hmmm...".

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-third-party-inspect-ears-electronic-devices

editing for spelling.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 03:44:41 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2020, 03:38:09 PM »
The Biden campaign has now rejected a demand by the Trump campaign to have both candidates' ears inspected by a third party for electronic listening devices.  The Biden campaign had originally agreed to the inspection, but now has refused to allow it.
Something that make you go, "Hmmm...".

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-third-party-inspect-ears-electronic-devices

As discombobulated as Biden always is, I don't even know how he would handle someone whispering in his ear during a debate. Then again, maybe an earpiece is why he's so discombobulated at his meet and greets.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2020, 04:25:03 PM »
As discombobulated as Biden always is, I don't even know how he would handle someone whispering in his ear during a debate. Then again, maybe an earpiece is why he's so discombobulated at his meet and greets.
Rush seemed to indicate that was not an unusual condition, but I don't know the history of these agreements.  He also said Biden wanted breaks every 30 minutes and Trump refused that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2020, 05:28:56 PM »
When Biden is done parroting what they tell him to say, Trump should ask Biden "why would they say that?" and see if Biden falls for it  :laugh:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2020, 06:04:18 PM »
What are the odds that the debate gets canceled last minute by Biden and company?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »
I was thinking to bet $5 that they would claim covid at the last minute but I spent that $5.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »
That the earpiece check and naptime break requests made it into the news is good for Trump. Heck, the optics of Biden refusing the earpiece check might even do more to hamstring his debate performance than if he had to forego an earpiece.* Team Trump has USA Today defending Biden from allegations he wore an earpiece at a "town hall" event.

*I'm not suggesting Biden will wear, or had ever planned to wear, an earpiece. And now the issue's been raised, it's more risky for him to try.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 08:06:25 PM »
I can't watch the debate.  It's just that I can't deal with Trump's manner of speaking.  Don't get me wrong...I am happy with what he has been doing domestically and globally.  I'll for him.  He's been the first president since Ronald Reagan to actually have some success in both venues.  I enjoy that he makes all the libtard heads explode.  I've wanted a president like him since Reagan.  But, he makes me very nervous he'll go off the rails and say something stupid.  I try to judge politicians by what they do, not what and how they say it, but he just drives me nuts.   Biden has a smarmy way about him that could cause The Donald to lose his *expletive deleted*it.  I can't bear witnessing that.

As for Biden, he is the King of Lies and Distortions.  It is painful to watch that lying SOB who has done nothing except to corruptly enrich himself and his family and hangers-on over the last nearly 50 years.  His ads are disgusting, mostly lies, and especially the ones where he uses his dead family and then has another with a little bald headed cancer kid and his sister in the bathroom vomiting.  If the subject of taxes come up, Biden proudly said he paid $300,000 in taxes last year.  I'd like to know how he made enough money on a Senators/VP's salary and retirement with a wife who was a teacher, to make enough $$$ to have to pay $300,000 in taxes. 

Gosh, I'm already getting pissed of.  I'm gonna fix a drink and read a book.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 08:23:35 PM »
Wouldn't have to be a earpiece.

"Shut up about Cornpop!"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 08:40:54 PM »
I can't watch the debate.  It's just that I can't deal with Trump's manner of speaking.  Don't get me wrong...I am happy with what he has been doing domestically and globally.  I'll for him.  He's been the first president since Ronald Reagan to actually have some success in both venues.  I enjoy that he makes all the libtard heads explode.  I've wanted a president like him since Reagan.  But, he makes me very nervous he'll go off the rails and say something stupid.  I try to judge politicians by what they do, not what and how they say it, but he just drives me nuts.   Biden has a smarmy way about him that could cause The Donald to lose his *expletive deleted*it.  I can't bear witnessing that.

As for Biden, he is the King of Lies and Distortions.  It is painful to watch that lying SOB who has done nothing except to corruptly enrich himself and his family and hangers-on over the last nearly 50 years.  His ads are disgusting, mostly lies, and especially the ones where he uses his dead family and then has another with a little bald headed cancer kid and his sister in the bathroom vomiting.  If the subject of taxes come up, Biden proudly said he paid $300,000 in taxes last year.  I'd like to know how he made enough money on a Senators/VP's salary and retirement with a wife who was a teacher, to make enough $$$ to have to pay $300,000 in taxes. 

Gosh, I'm already getting pissed of.  I'm gonna fix a drink and read a book.
On the first, I stopped worrying about what Trump says.  Even when he crosses the line, after a day or so it is in the dustbin of history.  What he is successfully does drives the left more nuts than any of that.

That is a good point about Biden's taxes.  That is a lot of money.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge