Author Topic: Trump / Biden Debate #1  (Read 8180 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Trump / Biden Debate #1
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2020, 10:34:18 PM »
I ended up pausing it and then fast forwarding through to try and catch anything of interest. Here's one - Biden says "antifa is an idea, not an organization" while attacking "white supremacy" and excusing antifa riots.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2020, 10:36:06 PM »
Every question is Orange Man Bad
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »
Had to bail out, couldn't listen to it any longer.

It's a WWE 2 on 1 match.

I am listening to the Steven Crowder livestream.  That is a little easier to listen to, but I still want it to be over.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2020, 10:42:47 PM »
Every debate I wish they would cut the mic when a candidate's time is up, but they never do that.  :mad:

Would have been nice, yet again.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2020, 10:43:43 PM »
 A glass booth like in the old quiz show days would do the trick.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2020, 10:44:04 PM »
Trump could have been more tactful
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2020, 10:46:29 PM »
Steve on PT News is drunk. He was playing a drinking game but gave up trying to keep up and just started drinking whenever.
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2020, 11:02:52 PM »
I'm biased towards Trump of course and even with that bias I don't think he did as well as he could have.

He wasn't able to body-slam Biden like I was expecting him to do. And Biden held up really well.

So I'll give Trump a very slight win here.

It would be like the old-school Brady-in-his-prime Patriots only managed to eek out a one point win, at home, against the Browns.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2020, 11:18:00 PM »
The debate was a few minutes late getting started, so I got to hear the before-debate commentators pontificating about how Trump had already lost.   ;/

What a *expletive deleted*it-show.  Chris Wallace was not in control.  As has already been said, he should have switches to cut the mikes.  (that's the main thing I came here to say)  Maybe have 3 positions; ON, OFF, and -20dB. (or something like -20, at that level you'd be able to hear them but just barely)

Biden was mostly coherent when Trump allowed him to talk.  Trump was generally an ahole, talking over Biden and Wallace all the time, but he did make a few good points. 

I couldn't watch the whole thing, but I saw most of it.  I think Biden won but not by much.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2020, 11:32:50 PM »
The debate was a few minutes late getting started, so I got to hear the before-debate commentators pontificating about how Trump had already lost.   ;/

What a *expletive deleted*it-show.  Chris Wallace was not in control.  As has already been said, he should have switches to cut the mikes.  (that's the main thing I came here to say)  Maybe have 3 positions; ON, OFF, and -20dB. (or something like -20, at that level you'd be able to hear them but just barely)

Biden was mostly coherent when Trump allowed him to talk.  Trump was generally an ahole, talking over Biden and Wallace all the time, but he did make a few good points.  

I couldn't watch the whole thing, but I saw most of it.  I think Biden won but not by much.

He was getting pissed getting asked what were basically attack questions of which some were based on a distortion or flat out lie, and watching Biden flat out lie several times and whenever Trump tried to call out Biden on them or make a point Wallace stepped in to protect Biden.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 11:50:49 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2020, 11:34:05 PM »
I appreciate all the fine commentary, fellas!   Now I don't have to watch the recording of the cacophony  I made because I really did not want to watch it unless afterwards  it was reviewed as sane.

I did see the final few minutes when Mathews  cut it off prohibiting Trump from responding to a Biden lie.  Thankfully Trump had interrupted to point out it was a lie ..... [popcorn]

"Trump could have been more tactful," WLJ.   Trump .... tactful?   :rofl:

One Fox commentor,  whose name escapes my memory-addled mind at the moment,  suggested the debate will not change anyone's mind.  
I can live with that.  Do debates  ever really change minds??  =|

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2020, 11:37:01 PM »

"Trump could have been more tactful," WLJ.   Trump .... tactful?   :rofl:

Thought about editing afterwards with
But hey, that's Trump"
But was too lazy to do so
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2020, 12:14:49 AM »
Mighty fine shindig.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2020, 12:25:53 AM »
I usually don't bother with theatrical stuff, like debates and speeches and town halls, but the wife thought it was going to be fun. She made it almost to the end, but I watched the whole thing.

It was hilarious for a while, but as usual, I was beyond annoyed at the anti-American spewing nonsense. It wouldn't bother me, except that I know millions of voters are suckered by that nonsense. (Especially the bit where he dishonestly accused Trump of being mean to his son the veteran.) And, as usual, I was disappointed that the Pro-American didn't get the shots in that I wanted him to get. Not a stellar performance by either of them, but Biden managed to stay awake and mostly coherent in his anti-American diatribe.

Guess I'll go back to ignoring the theater.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2020, 12:41:58 AM »
For the first 2 minutes, candidates ought not interrupt each other - and the microphones of the NON responding candidates ought to be cut off for that time.

Maybe leave both mics on during the open discussion part.

Chris Wallace clearly favored Biden - but then, he always was a bit of a lefty. I remember when he was interviewing Pat Buchanan during his presidential run he asked "Would there be any place in a Buchanan administration for David Duke?" Pat instantly gave a one word answer - NO - and shut up. Wallace wasn't very happy.

Back to the debate - Trump scored a hit when he said he was debating Wallace as well as Biden, but I thought he interrupted too much; I think he could have scored more solid "hits" on Joe if he'd waited his turn to talk. Biden spewed nonsense and was never called on it by Wallace, but since he didn't soil himself or wander aimlessly off stage, most media ABCNBCCBSMSNBCCNNNYT pundits will claim he won the debate.

Me, I would have debated Biden a bit differently than Trump did, but hey, I'm not a billionaire living in the White House, so what do I know?  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

griz

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2020, 12:52:46 AM »
I ended up watching a little less than a hour of the middle of the debate two five year olds arguing over who which one is smarter.  Guess I'll skip the rest.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2020, 01:02:16 AM »
Trump should have explained to Wallace that no one needed to calm down his supporters, and that white supremacists have nothing to do with him. And he should have demanded an apology for both. Not that he'd get it, but he should have laid down the markers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2020, 05:51:28 AM »
We should replace debates with trial by combat. No guns but clubs, knives, etc are allowed. May the odds forever be in your favor!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2020, 07:20:58 AM »
Well, I'm shocked to see the media mostly calling it a wash this morning.

I certainly thought Joe managing to make it through the night would be enough for him to be declared the winner.

The portion I tuned into was just a *expletive deleted*it show so I couldn't say one did better than the other.

Chris Wallace was NOT fair and balanced.

Don't forget, Bidens MO for decades has been to verbally bully, attack and even challenge to fight those who challenge his positions. If nothing else Trump shut that tactic down and neutralized Biden's tough guy act.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2020, 07:43:37 AM »
Think of the children!
    Jake Tapper says his friend’s 6th grade daughter “burst into tears, had to run to bed” because she was “so appalled” by Trump during debate. pic.twitter.com/uNiQVsYkES

— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) September 30, 2020
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/09/29/cnns-jake-tapper-explains-how-trump-sent-friends-appalled-6th-grade-daughter-running-to-bed-in-tears-during-the-debate/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2020, 08:22:33 AM »
Well, I'm shocked to see the media mostly calling it a wash this morning.

Well, minus CNN.

I also am surprised this morning. I've now listened to a few interviews involving R&D politicians and R&D pundits on split screens, and both sides have basically agreed that the debate was a shitshow with only minimal nods to "their guy".

I will say that this reminded me why I was anti-Trump during the 2016 primaries.

Best line heard: "It was like a Real Housewives of LA renunion show".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2020, 08:30:43 AM »
Think of the children!https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/09/29/cnns-jake-tapper-explains-how-trump-sent-friends-appalled-6th-grade-daughter-running-to-bed-in-tears-during-the-debate/

If that actually happened, then maybe someone should call child services to investigate the parents for creating an environment where a six year old has a breakdown over a presidential debate. At that age, I might have cried if they'd canceled Huckleberry Hound, but I barely knew what a president was.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2020, 08:40:12 AM »
Over the years Chris Wallace has maintained a decent reputation among those on the right.

Hopefully his partisan performance last night has finally burned that bridge.

He is leftist opposition working behind our lines to control the narrative and provide cover for the left.

I remember back in the day when Chris Mathews also had a decent reputation as being fair, in the hayday of Hardball with Chris Mathews. They are subtle and sneaky and work hard to trick and deceive the gullible. They speak reasonable and conciliatory words to put the right at ease but their hearts are far far from you.

Chris Wallace like Chris Mathews is the enemy of most everything you believe in and hold dear.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2020, 08:41:08 AM »
If that actually happened, then maybe someone should call child services to investigate the parents for creating an environment where a six year old has a breakdown over a presidential debate. At that age, I might have cried if they'd canceled Huckleberry Hound, but I barely knew what a president was.
More than likely the kid was freaked out by the parents cussing and yelling at the TV. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2020, 08:42:35 AM »
More than likely the kid was freaked out by the parents cussing and yelling at the TV. 

Yeah, but that's Trump's fault.