Author Topic: Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax  (Read 2444 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2020, 11:44:11 AM »
A switch to ceramic pads on both of my cars, cut back dust by about 80%. After that, try some of this.

https://www.amazon.com/Gyeon-Rim-Sealant-30-ml/dp/B01CESR2X8

Thanks, but the dust is the cost of doing business.  My car has the BMW M-Sport brakes, and while they work great hot and cold, they dust like a mofo.  It's the trade off for performance.

I may take a look at the rim sealant, but my rims are mostly matte, so I don't want to add any gloss to them.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 03:46:23 PM »
Just in case it is important in decision making, I should point out that I wash the cars about twice a month from April through September (good weather in Seattle) and maybe once a month if that from October to March (the rainy season in Seattle).  I do not stand out in the rain to wash the cars solely for the sake of washing them. Someone in sunnier climes who washes the car once a week may see different durability results than mine.

PS: I also wash the cars by hand at home using some sort of TW wash and wax that costs $ 8/gallon at Wal-Mart.  I do not run the cars through a commercial or tunnel car wash.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 04:11:40 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »
I wash the salt off the bottom of my truck in the winter, otherwise, I keep a protective layer of dirt on it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »
I keep a protective layer of dirt on it

Be careful that "protective" layer of dirt isn't retaining moisture.  Maybe the bottom of cars isn't so prone to rust, but the "dried" mud you see on cars' fenders behind the wheels is the reason you see so many rusted out fenders.  At least in the 60s and 70s.   :old:

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2020, 05:05:04 PM »
Be careful that "protective" layer of dirt isn't retaining moisture.  Maybe the bottom of cars isn't so prone to rust, but the "dried" mud you see on cars' fenders behind the wheels is the reason you see so many rusted out fenders.  At least in the 60s and 70s.   :old:

The brine the dump on the roads here in the winter eats cars faster than anything else.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2020, 07:15:18 PM »
Thanks, but the dust is the cost of doing business.  My car has the BMW M-Sport brakes, and while they work great hot and cold, they dust like a mofo.  It's the trade off for performance.

I may take a look at the rim sealant, but my rims are mostly matte, so I don't want to add any gloss to them.

I thought the same thing; but when I switched my R32 from Oem pads to EBC Redstuffs I lost nothing. Initial tip in at low speeds was less touchy; but other than that, no difference in performance. After a couple weeks, I switched out the stock Brembo pads on my SRT8 and it was the same thing. The only difference on that car was that the brakes no longer squeaked at low speeds when they were cold.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2020, 07:31:26 PM »
I ran EBC reds on my Cobra, and they dusted about the same as my OEM M-sports.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2020, 09:40:18 PM »
I use a mixture of bleach, dish detergent and a scrub brush and leave it on for a hour and them use a pressure washer then go back with the brush once I can see the truck.  =) Once or twice a year whether it needs it or not.  The thing we get here is a nasty mix of heavy pollen, then mold grows on the stuff and binds with the surface.  Like microscopic kudzu . Leave a car in the back forty for ten years and it cannot be found...

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2020, 09:59:07 PM »
I used a few drops pf NuFinish on a used dryer sheet in my brass tumbler, worked GREAT!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2020, 10:38:16 AM »
I use a mixture of bleach, dish detergent and a scrub brush and leave it on for a hour and them use a pressure washer then go back with the brush once I can see the truck.  =) Once or twice a year whether it needs it or not.  The thing we get here is a nasty mix of heavy pollen, then mold grows on the stuff and binds with the surface.  Like microscopic kudzu . Leave a car in the back forty for ten years and it cannot be found...

A friend of mine hauled out a car from his back forty that fitted this scenario.  One of the most satisfying experiences in my life was bringing over the pressure washer and cleaning off all the accumulated crud from several years of sitting outside under trees in the wet part of the PNW.  I wish we had thought to take before and after pictures.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.