Author Topic: On the effectiveness of masks  (Read 3700 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: On the effectiveness of masks
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2020, 11:07:02 AM »
Something I found interesting is Germany. They were doing "better" than most other countries, and during the big panic, my relatives told me they were pretty strictly locked down with strong restrictions. They started opening back up, and now there is a resurgence in cases. Which kinda makes sense from the "you can't hide forever" side. Eventually people start interacting again, and then things spread again.

I watch German news a few times a week, and yesterday I saw a clip from parliament where there was little social distancing and almost no one was wearing masks. Same with "man on the street" segments. In most of the shots, hardly anyone is wearing a mask, even in crowds.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2020, 11:51:12 AM »
Something I found interesting is Germany. They were doing "better" than most other countries, and during the big panic, my relatives told me they were pretty strictly locked down with strong restrictions. They started opening back up, and now there is a resurgence in cases. Which kinda makes sense from the "you can't hide forever" side. Eventually people start interacting again, and then things spread again.

I watch German news a few times a week, and yesterday I saw a clip from parliament where there was little social distancing and almost no one was wearing masks. Same with "man on the street" segments. In most of the shots, hardly anyone is wearing a mask, even in crowds.

How did the Munich Oktoberfest go this year, any idea?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2020, 12:18:18 PM »
How did the Munich Oktoberfest go this year, any idea?

I haven't looked. When I talk to a cousin in the next couple of days, I'll check.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2020, 12:46:05 PM »
So the no masks in Germany makes me think there must be no legal requirements to do so.  If there were, I would expect to see much higher numbers of people wearing masks.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2020, 03:03:03 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2020, 03:27:04 PM »
That was funny !  Tragifunny, but funny nonetheless.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2020, 04:31:30 PM »
If your mask is covered with the virus, doesn't that mean that your face, hair, and clothing are also covered?  So even if you properly use the mask, remove it properly, and disinfect your hands, your hands will then pick up virus from other parts of your person.  I guess a person could strip down and decontaminate before entering the house.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2020, 04:39:29 PM »
If your mask is covered with the virus, doesn't that mean that your face, hair, and clothing are also covered?  So even if you properly use the mask, remove it properly, and disinfect your hands, your hands will then pick up virus from other parts of your person. I guess a person could strip down and decontaminate before entering the house.

I did that when i was visiting my parents in March and was trapped there for much of April.  I didn't strip outside (I could, they are in the country) just took my shoes off, but I went straight to the bathroom and showered with clean clothes waiting.  Then carefully carried the old clothes to the washing machine, then washed my hand and forearms again.  I only left the property about once a week to goto Walmart during the 6:00AM senior hour and then to the post office.

I'm not being near that careful now that I'm back home and just have to worry about myself and Wife.
"It's good, though..."