Author Topic: 4 Houston police officers involved in fatal shooting are fired  (Read 601 times)

MechAg94

• friend
4 Houston police officers involved in fatal shooting are fired
« on: October 07, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
This was is a bit closer to me than the others.  
https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/09/11/911900516/4-houston-police-officers-fired-over-fatal-shooting-of-nicolas-chavez
The first video is a short clip of a news report.  The second is a longer one showing body cam footage narrated by the police chief.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHU6rRO5YaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20tQgOmDs8g

The entire incident is confusing.  It seems to me the guy was determined to do anything he had to do to trigger lethal force from the police.  

The guy grabbing the taser triggered fire from multiple officers.  I assume HPD officer are trained to treat tasers as dangerous weapons just like the Atlanta officers.  With that many officers on scene, I am not certain the danger is really there, but multiple officers did the same thing.  I figure it won't help morale of HPD officers that 4 were fired.  I didn't see mention of charges.

Multiple officers were on the scene the night Chavez was shot to death. They fired a total of 24 shots at Chavez — only three of which were deemed "objectively reasonable," Police Chief Art Acevedo said at a news conference.
That bolded part confused me.  I assume he is referring to earlier shots.    

The department has said that officers were responding to a "suicide in progress call" and used a combination of lethal and nonlethal rounds to try to subdue Chavez. Police said he had a blunt metal object that was initially thought to be a knife but later found to be a piece of metal rebar.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: 4 Houston police officers involved in fatal shooting are fired
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 12:30:12 PM »
I don't see the officers did anything wrong.

They were faced with a guy having a severe mental break and appeared to be doing all he could to commit suicide by cop.

They tried every tool at their disposal and started firing when he picked up a ranged weapon after repeated attempts to get him under control.

COULD they have let him try to use the taser first, before firing on him? Possibly, but I'm betting training teaches them to treat the taser as a firearm.

This was clearly not a case of the police just going to firearms when faced with a threat. They were quite restrained.

How many attempts at less-lethal means did they make? 7? 8? Apparently it wasn't enough. No wonder the police are quitting nationwide.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 02:04:46 PM »
I am not sure if he had a hand weapon at the time, but he had what they thought was a knife earlier.  With enough people there, they might have tried to go hands-on, but if he had a weapon, they wouldn't attempt that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 02:12:02 PM »
I realized after posting that this is not the same incident, but also interesting.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdIB6UUs7aI
Donut Operator.  The female officer is lucky she is not dead.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 02:19:15 PM »
I heard that the Houston chief is a full bore Progressive.  If that is so, it's not surprising that he doesn't back his officers.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 02:24:33 PM »
I heard that the Houston chief is a full bore Progressive.  If that is so, it's not surprising that he doesn't back his officers.

From NBC

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/houston-s-police-chief-wins-national-praise-faces-local-anger-n1223911
HOUSTON — As protesters clash with riot squads in cities across the country, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo has drawn national praise for his willingness to march with activists and call for officers to be held accountable when they kill without justification.

Days after George Floyd’s death last week under the knee of Minneapolis Officer Derek Chauvin, Acevedo was among the first big city police chiefs to speak out, telling The Washington Post that “actions have to have consequences.”

When President Donald Trump called on governors to “dominate” protesters in the streets, Acevedo responded on national television with a message of his own: “Keep your mouth shut.”

And on Sunday, in a video that drew more than 10 million views, Acevedo — a Cuban-born immigrant who became Houston’s first Latino police chief in 2016 — choked up as he told marchers in Houston that he was angry, just like them.

“We will march as a department with everybody in this community. I will march until I can’t stand no more,” he said in the viral clip, as protesters cheered.

The rest of the article makes me believe he's trying to play both sides
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 02:55:43 PM »
I heard that the Houston chief is a full bore Progressive.  If that is so, it's not surprising that he doesn't back his officers.
He pretty much is a full bore progressive, but maybe not as bad as some of them elsewhere.  He was hired by a full bore progressive mayor. 

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »
When the lawsuits from all the officers fired (from all over the country, not just here) for following established written procedures in dealing with dangerous people are settled, the payments will come out of the budgets for the community counselors who replace the police department.  I hope our society figures this out. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.