Author Topic: Florida: Gov. Ron DeSantis proposes anti-mob bill  (Read 1001 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Florida: Gov. Ron DeSantis proposes anti-mob bill
« on: November 12, 2020, 12:56:52 AM »
https://dailycaller.com/2020/11/11/ron-desantis-florida-residents-shoot-looters/

Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has proposed an “anti-mob” bill that would allow residents to shoot rioters and looters who target businesses following nationwide unrest.

The law would expand the state’s self-defense law, which currently forbids “the use of force in defense of property,” by increasing what constitutes a “forcible felony,” according to the Miami Herald. DeSantis seeks to make looting or “interruption or impairment” of a business such a felony, thereby justifying deadly force to prevent it, the local outlet reported.

I haven't studied the details, but in principle I approve.  Use of deadly force against looters should be legal.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Florida: Gov. Ron DeSantis proposes anti-mob bill
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 01:03:06 AM »
I approve.

It should also apply to peaceful protesters who peacefully impede traveling on public roads by peacefully attacking the vehicles.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 05:02:24 AM »
I approve.

It should also apply to peaceful protesters who peacefully impede traveling on public roads by peacefully attacking the vehicles.

Reginald Denny would approve.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 06:19:58 AM »
I approve.

Naturally, any self defense in such situations must also be commensurately peaceful in nature. It would help if the ammo makers would introduce lines of JHP "Peaceful Self Defense" ammunition for these types of incidents. [They could just change the labels on the zombie killer ammo.]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 08:35:13 AM »
I approve as well. I was looking at writing a letter to all my fed and state reps on guns. For one, asking them to move forward with (I realize it's symbolic only) making Idaho a Second Amendment sanctuary, just to make a statement to the Biden admin. This sounds like something good to add to it.

I'd also like to see vehicles rolled into such legislation. Obviously not shooting someone just standing in front of your vehicle (though roiling your vehicle through such a crowd should not be a crime). But once they start the physical stuff, some form of stand your ground should come into play.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 09:20:57 AM »
Naturally, any self defense in such situations must also be commensurately peaceful in nature. It would help if the ammo makers would introduce lines of JHP "Peaceful Self Defense" ammunition for these types of incidents. [They could just change the labels on the zombie killer ammo.]

They could relabel Dragon's Breath as "Fiery But Mostly Peaceful"

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 10:40:39 AM »
He started making noises about this about 4 weeks ago, if I remember my local news correctly.  So far it seems to have zero traction in our legislature.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 10:48:27 AM »
It would be nice to clarify the law on this regardless of what is finally done.  A lot of the people hurt by these mobs were threatened with bodily harm, not just property destruction.  Prevent arson should also be in there if it is not already. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »
Can this be expanded to include "Karens" and people who rat others out for not wearing masks?    =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »
Shoot to maim looters. Shoot to kill arsonists. Not "Stand down" in the race of violent riots.

Perhaps the only good order Hizzoner da Mayor Richard J. Daley gave in Chicago. (Although some of today's revisionists are trying to rewrite history and claim he never said it.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 02:49:04 PM »
If nothing else, such a law would be a help against local prosecutors who selectively go after people who defend themselves and drop charges on violent rioters.  I am not sure if that has been an issue in Florida.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 07:12:08 PM »
Shoot to maim looters. Shoot to kill arsonists. Not "Stand down" in the race of violent riots.

Perhaps the only good order Hizzoner da Mayor Richard J. Daley gave in Chicago. (Although some of today's revisionists are trying to rewrite history and claim he never said it.)
Well, he at least claimed to have said it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olNN2iT41S4

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
    1/ Florida's @GovRonDeSantis has drafted legislation that would, in effect, empower armed white vigilantes to kill black people.

DeSantis wants to *expand* FL's Stand Your Ground law to allow armed citizens to shoot anyone engaged in “criminal mischief” that disrupts business

— igorvolsky (@igorvolsky) November 11, 2020
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/11/12/igor-volsky-says-gov-ron-desantis-draft-legislation-would-empower-armed-white-vigilantes-to-kill-black-people/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 08:43:02 PM »
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/11/12/igor-volsky-says-gov-ron-desantis-draft-legislation-would-empower-armed-white-vigilantes-to-kill-black-people/

Like we learned in the case of the mob harassing the guy with the Biden sign:
"You ask for a peaceful protest. It’s white supremacy. Asking for people to be peaceful is white supremacy.”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 10:51:37 PM »
Is this Desantis prepping for a presidential run?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife