Author Topic: Cutting Fire Brick?  (Read 759 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cutting Fire Brick?
« on: October 25, 2020, 09:56:36 AM »
Hey, do you guys think a chop saw with the standard 30 grit wheel would work okay to cut fire brick? Or any other non-masonry blade workarounds? If I have to, I'll make the drive to get a masonry specific blade for my circular saw today, but I just need to cut one brick, so if I can do it efficiently with something I have in the shop, that would be great.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Cutting Fire Brick?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 10:33:32 AM »
I have done this with a hacksaw.  It was slow, but got the job done.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 12:32:58 PM »
My grandson lined his forge with fire brick, so he had a lot of cutting to do. He used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a diamond cutting blade.  I built a 40' brick sidewalk a few years ago, and had to cut a bunch of pavers for the landing. I used the same grinder with masonry cutting discs from HF ($7.99/10 pack).  I discovered that genuine DeWalt discs last twice as long but cost three times as much.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 02:56:42 PM »
Hammer and chisel works fine as well.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »
Detcord.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 05:38:08 PM »
You do realize this is a perfect justification to buy a good tile saw.  Who turns down a chance to buy new power tools?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 06:22:48 PM »
You do realize this is a perfect justification to buy a good tile saw.  Who turns down a chance to buy new power tools?

:laugh:

Maybe whenever I have a real project instead of one brick.  I ended up using the hacksaw. Worked okay, other than this was a lengthwise cut to lower the height of the brick, so more material to work through than an end cut. Next time I'm at the big box, I'll pick up some of those grinder masonry disks just to have around.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 06:58:58 PM »
I've got a couple of diamond grit hacksaw blades, I've used them for some ceramic stuff in the past. They're about the diameter of a fat pencil lead.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 07:27:24 PM »
Probably work ok. You don’t have to cut full depth. Score it and break it on the line,
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 08:35:03 PM »

x2
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 10:58:51 PM »

Would it help to use a hacksaw to start break point? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 11:29:08 PM »
Would it help to use a hacksaw to start break point? 

I score it with a masonry chisel before fracturing.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 09:57:00 AM »
IIRC most common fire brick of the kind we'd use for fireplaces and the like isn't particularly hard and is fairly porous, making it fairly easy to cut.

Stuff used in kilns or furnaces that have the potential for impact are a lot denser.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.