Author Topic: .50 caliber air rifle  (Read 639 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
.50 caliber air rifle
« on: October 27, 2020, 09:22:09 AM »
https://www.ballisticmag.com/2020/10/27/umarex-hammer-review/?fbclid=IwAR0NL7MKVgGYOZgAMozOSZnvzNd88sDBsdaxnQrg2XkHfNWn93H9eDGJD2g

I had no idea that air rifles were so advanced.  What kind of compressor is needed to fill the air tank?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: .50 caliber air rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 09:27:34 AM »
Search PCP compressor on Amazon.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 09:40:36 AM »
700 ft/lbs? That's actually a touch less energy than a full load 10mm
IMHO saying it's for big game hunting is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong people do use 10mm in hunting but I'm a bit skeptical about their claims of using it on Cape Buffalo. Article isn't a review but an advertisement

The Hammer has proven itself on many hunts during its long development cycle with a wide variety of big game. I spoke with Justin Biddle, Umarex’s Marketing Director, at the 2020 Athlon Outdoors Rendezvous in Idaho. He told me that he bagged a black bear last spring in Canada using the Hammer. Other hunters have also used the Hammer to tag big game from whitetails to Cape buffalo on the Dark Continent. Presently, 18 states allow large-bore air guns for hunting whitetails.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 09:51:44 AM »
700 ft/lbs? That's actually a touch less energy than a full load 10mm
IMHO saying it's for big game hunting is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong people do use 10mm in hunting but I'm a bit skeptical about their claims of using it on Cape Buffalo. Article isn't a review but an advertisement

Don't worry, they will have an air pistol as back up. 

It does say it can handle a few shots before velocity drops off.  Also, in a hunt like that, I picture an accompanying guide with a double rifle in 458 WinMag. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 11:24:01 AM »
"No hearing protection needed"

Nice
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 12:01:48 PM »
I got interested in them awhile ago,  Didn't read the whole "article," so maybe this appeared in it somewhere:  

(1) I understand you can refill them at dive (SCUBA) shops.  Spare tanks advisable.

(2) Common lore is that air rifles were taken along on the famous Lewis and Clark expedition.  (Manually pumped.)

I finally decided to just stick with my .177 Feinwerkbau air rifle, even though I did not have much practical use for the little projectile on the farm.  However, a powerful quiet high-caliber air rifle might come into its own for certain situations if the trajectory is very well known and range estimation is flawless.

Cape Buffalo?  You'd have to hit them in the eyeball or earhole.  And so much for the sportsmanlike concept of a clean kill.

Terry, 230RN

REF (One of several):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girardoni_air_rifle
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 12:38:01 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 01:55:33 PM »
Not lore at all.

Lewis and Clark took a .46 caliber Girardoni-design, American-made air rifle with them on their expedition.

http://www.lewisandclarktrail.com/lewisairgun.htm

I never knew that Lewis purchased it on his own.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.