Author Topic: And it's confirmed...  (Read 2668 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: And it's confirmed...
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2020, 11:39:17 PM »
 [tinfoil]  Anyone on this forum old enough to remember hardtack?  [popcorn] :old: :old: :old:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2020, 11:51:03 PM »
[tinfoil]  Anyone on this forum old enough to remember hardtack?  [popcorn] :old: :old: :old:
I’ve made and eaten it.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2020, 11:52:24 PM »
I’ve made and eaten it.

You have my sympathies.  >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2020, 12:47:10 AM »
This is where the confusion is coming from:

Starting in 1958, C-Rations were slowly replaced by the nearly identical canned Meal, Combat, Individual ration. These rations were issued for most of the next two plus decades, until they were replaced by Meal Ready to Eat or MREs in the early 1980s.

For all practical purposes, MCI rations were C-Rats with a newer designation.
And most of them were still lousy.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2020, 01:35:26 AM »
I’ve made and eaten it.

Same. It's....interesting, I'll give it that.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2020, 06:41:07 AM »
According to Wikipedia, the MCIs were an "improvement" on C rations. In other words, they were C rations 2.0. Basically the same packaging concept from what I can tell.

This Wiki page has some really interesting information on early 20th century military rations leading up to the C ration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-ration

During WW I American troops were issued the Model of 1916 "bacon" can, which was used to store the bacon or meat ration. There was also a double-ended condiments can, which was used to carry coffee, salt, sugar, and the like.

Don't know why, but I've always found the history of feeding the troops in the field to be fascinating.

And this is a pretty interesting page... a guy makes, and then plates, various military rations from around the world:

https://www.insider.com/military-meals-mre-reviews-photos-2020-6#this-canadian-army-ready-to-eat-military-ration-mre-or-meal-ready-to-eat-has-baked-beans-as-its-main-course-which-hong-described-as-pretty-good-with-a-smokey-honey-barbecue-taste-1

Dang, the German one is a freaking smorgasboard...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2020, 07:45:28 AM »
Had some Australian rations in 1976 while I was on a float down under.  The Aussies wouldn't let us bring in any food stuffs, even canned as they were.  Their rations were absolute heaven compared to the C-rats we would normally have had.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2020, 08:30:54 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »
How do the latest MRE offerings stack up against something like Mountain House freeze dried meals?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »
How do the latest MRE offerings stack up against something like Mountain House freeze dried meals?

Superior.  MREs circa 2010 weren't Four fingers of death vile.

Mountain House/Alpineaire/Trailtopia is my ranking.   Goodtogo brings up the rear, wasn't impressed with those but still better than most MREs.

Compared to Iceland's local cusine in taste and price?  I plan to pack a mess of freeze dried yuppie camper food next time.  Better and cheaper.  Same trip to Ireland and the UK?  I'd eat locally and ditch most of the camp food unless I was actually camping.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:18:02 AM by Andiron »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2020, 10:09:59 AM »
Mountain House/Alpineaire/Trailtopia.   Goodtogo brings up the rear, wasn't impressed with those but still better than most MREs.

Alpine Air and Backpacker Pantry aren't as good as Mountain House IMHO. Although Alpine Air has stepped up their game.

I haven't tried Good to go yet.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2020, 10:17:24 AM »
I added thoughts to my previous comment, my bad.

The 3 goodtogo meals I had last trip were either stupidly spicy or never really reconstituted.  Chicken gumbo and corn chowder.   Smelled decent,  but still had bits that were like chewing pebbles.  Can't remember the third.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:25:35 AM by Andiron »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2020, 02:16:33 PM »
I find Mountain House to be a little bland in everything they make.

Current issue MRE's are better, have more food/calories and don't require a stove to heat water.  Pretty much better in every measure except weight.  An MRE will have the entree, a side, a desert,  and a snack of some kind in every pouch.  Plus bread and a chance at cheese/jalapeno cheese. (Knead before using).

In one of the greatest ironies of military life, MRE's have gotten good enough they are too expensive,  and usually units will order heater meals to save money, so we still get *expletive deleted*it food.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »

In one of the greatest ironies of military life, MRE's have gotten good enough they are too expensive,  and usually units will order heater meals to save money, so we still get *expletive deleted*it food.

I know that you sorta defined heater meals earlier, but I'm confused. They are different from commercially available real MREs like Sopakco that come with the heater packet?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »
I wish I was going out today so I could get two McRibs.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »
The freeze dried food frequently fails to impress if you are just having it for dinner, lunch etc. during a regular caloric output day.

On the other hand, hump a 35/45lb pack up a rugged trail on a 45 degree fall day and it tastes absolutely delicious in camp.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2020, 06:18:59 PM »
The freeze dried food frequently fails to impress if you are just having it for dinner, lunch etc. during a regular caloric output day.

On the other hand, hump a 35/45lb pack up a rugged trail on a 45 degree fall day and it tastes absolutely delicious in camp.

Undeniably a true statement.   The version 3 MRE's are pretty good eating though.  The ruck and cold camp only makes them better.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2020, 06:32:31 PM »
Where's a good place to get decent MRE's that haven't been sitting on a shelf for ten years?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2020, 06:38:07 PM »
Where's a good place to get decent MRE's that haven't been sitting on a shelf for ten years?

https://mremountain.com/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2020, 06:46:08 PM »
According to Wikipedia, the MCIs were an "improvement" on C rations. In other words, they were C rations 2.0. Basically the same packaging concept from what I can tell.

This Wiki page has some really interesting information on early 20th century military rations leading up to the C ration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-ration

During WW I American troops were issued the Model of 1916 "bacon" can, which was used to store the bacon or meat ration. There was also a double-ended condiments can, which was used to carry coffee, salt, sugar, and the like.

Don't know why, but I've always found the history of feeding the troops in the field to be fascinating.

And this is a pretty interesting page... a guy makes, and then plates, various military rations from around the world:

https://www.insider.com/military-meals-mre-reviews-photos-2020-6#this-canadian-army-ready-to-eat-military-ration-mre-or-meal-ready-to-eat-has-baked-beans-as-its-main-course-which-hong-described-as-pretty-good-with-a-smokey-honey-barbecue-taste-1

Dang, the German one is a freaking smorgasboard...

It's a rabbit hole I can fall into. One time I got an Italian ration that a visiting training group dumped on my ship. No wonder they don't fight, too busy eating. 3 meals in one pouch, individual boxes inside. Stove, water purification, disposable tooth brushes, etc. It was an instant improvement over boat food.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2020, 11:51:50 AM »
I've seen some people say that some of the Italian MRE-style meals come with a wine ration, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2020, 08:08:25 PM »
I've seen some people say that some of the Italian MRE-style meals come with a wine ration, as well.
I think the French rations used to included a small bottle of wine as well.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila