Author Topic: Popular Fast Food in Your Birth Year  (Read 1487 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Popular Fast Food in Your Birth Year
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 01:24:00 PM »
First, and I think the last, time I ever ate at a White Castle was early 1990, heading to Davenport, Iowa, for a friend's wedding. We stopped around Joilete, Ill., and one of the guys in the car said they were good and cheap. Cheap, yes... Good? Meh.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 06:21:02 PM »
Hard to kill antelope with a flint tipped spear.

So, you predate the atlatl then.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 10:53:00 PM »
My birth year isn't listed! Discrimination! (Maybe Hawkmoon and I can start a class action suit? I'll place a call to Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe, the local law firm.)

White Castle was around early on, but not very near - we seldom went there for "sliders." I was still a young schoolboy when the first McD's opened in my Chicago neighborhood, probably in the early '60s. There was no place to eat inside, just a small glassed-in area at the front of the building so you wouldn't have to stand in the weather when ordering. Over the years, that place went through MANY expansions.

Burger King came along locally some years later - late '60s I'd say.

KFC? Hmmm . . . not sure when that showed up. We used to go to the now long defunct "Chicken Delight" when I was a kid. Original recipe KFC never appealed to us - won't say it was greasy, but fishing a piece of KFC out of the bucket was a lot like trying to pick up a wet bar of soap you'd dropped in the sink. Subway wasn't on my radar until sometime in the 80's. 

There were no Dairy Queens around when I was growing up - the local ice cream shop (closed for winter) was "Tastee Freeze."  And Dunkin Donuts showed up long after the IMHO superior "Amy Joy" donuts.

Never heard of places like Carl's Jr. or Whataburger until the late 90s when I moved to TX.

There were a lot more "sit down" restaurants when I was growing up - good ones! - than there are now.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain