Main Forums > The Roundtable

Electricians question

<< < (4/4)

makattak:

--- Quote from: Hawkmoon on November 30, 2020, 01:04:51 AM ---That's actually probably not a good thing. There's an intermittent problem with the neural on that circuit. It needs to be repaired, and it's more difficult to diagnose an intermittent fault than it is to diagnose a constant fault.

--- End quote ---

I expected this was the case, but all I can do about it now is laugh until we can get an electrician to look at it.

charby:

--- Quote from: makattak on November 29, 2020, 09:45:31 PM ---And a new wrinkle:

I put everything back together as I didn't have time/requisite knowledge to deal with the issue. No power after I put it together.

Forgot it wasn't working today and plugged my phone into it. It starts charging.

So the outlet works now. Thanks for all the help to fix it!

(Btw, no backstabs in the outlets. All attached at the side.)

--- End quote ---

The outlet isn't switched somewhere is it? Think like a lamp outlet.

Hawkmoon:

--- Quote from: charby on November 30, 2020, 01:22:52 PM ---The outlet isn't switched somewhere is it? Think like a lamp outlet.

--- End quote ---

Good thought. I hadn't even considered that.

A trick some builders seem to like is to switch half an outlet. It allows plugging in a lamp and controlling it with a switch at the door, while the other receptacle remains hot all the time.

Jim147:
Like garbage disposals. Don't plug it into the wrong one or it tells you quick.

RocketMan:
Some outlets have removable jumper-like side plates under the screws.  When removed it allows separate wiring to the top and bottom outlets.  Something to look for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version