Author Topic: Exhaust fan wiring help?  (Read 600 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Exhaust fan wiring help?
« on: December 07, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
Working on my garage shop project and would like to add an exhaust for welding fumes, spray paint, brake cleaner etc. I salvaged a 600 cfm blower when we removed our old jenn air downdraft range during the kitchen remodel. I know it is effective because it would downdraft my fireplace chimney on the other end of a 2500sf house if I tried to start a fire while spouse was cooking. I thought I would fab a filter box and rig something up into my very well ventilated attic space above the garage.
I realized I have not 3 but 4 wires on the blower motor. Red black and white(N) green(Gr). My first thought was 240v? Then I thought no, more likely 2 speed 120v. If that is the case, if I ran 120 to red and black together would I have high speed?
I might have to experiment with power to black only and red only and see what happens unless APS wisdom leads me in a different direction.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Exhaust fan wiring help?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »
Motors with multiple speed taps typically require power on only one of the hots at a time.  Supplying power to both at once will overheat the short bit of winding between the two speeds.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 11:24:23 AM »
Thanks. I'll try one at a time and find out which hot is high and which is low. Might pick up a 2 speed switch or else use it high only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 01:06:53 PM »
Black / Red / White / Green sounds like a 240V circuit where green=ground, white=neutral, and red/black legs are 120V each (black>neutral and red>neutral are 120V each, black>red is 240V). Makes sense given it came from a stovetop. However, I am not an electrician so YMMV.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 01:17:39 PM »
I agree that it's probably a 2-speed fan but, rather than guess, I would try to find a manual or wiring diagram for the fan. Do you still have the manual for the old range? If it was electric, it was a 240-volt range, so was the fan a 2-speed fan?

Beyond that, I am not happy about the notion of using a direct motor-driven fan to exhaust paint fumes -- into an enclosed space. Unless it's a sealed, explosion-proof motor, I think that's probably a rather bad idea.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 01:33:11 PM »
^^^Plus moisture buildup, etc. Can you get some ducting and run it out the roof or a wall for direct exhaust?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 02:55:11 PM »
I have a passive 24" octagon gable vent 12' from the center of the garage and a roof power vent with thermostat and humidistat directly above where I want to go up. I could run round duct pipe right into the bell of the roof vent. Also have vented soffit and ridge vent. It's not a daily use thing either.
A filter box with disposable furnace type filters would catch a lot of particulates and spray paint residue etc.
I looked for any wiring or mfg info before posting but didn't find anything helpful.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 03:35:09 PM »
To reiterate on what Hawkmoon said, as someone that has had to build and OSHA certify stuff like this:

Using an unsealed AC motor to exhaust paint, Brake Cleaner or Solvent fumes is A Bad Thingtm.  It doesn't actually matter where you are exhausting them to, as if it goes bad, they wont get there anyways.

As far as your motor, is it this one:
https://parts2u.com/WPW10201322-BLOWER-MOTOR-CW-15001380-RPM-115V_p_2553145.html

Because that's a two speed 115VAC motor, so as was mentioned above, Green-Ground, White-Neutral, Red OR Black to line for the two speeds.  Don't connect them together.

But I would really try to use a sealed motor, or run this with a belt and some pullies so the motor is well outside the airstream.  Might have to put a little fan on the shaft as well to provide motor cooling.  Not sure how the original blower handled that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
"A filter box with disposable furnace type filters would catch a lot of particulates and spray paint residue etc."

What the furnace filter wouldn't catch, and what others are alluding to, are the volatile vapors that often accompany projects like that...

Vapors that can, with the right oxygenation level and an ignition source say, such as the spark from an unshielded motor, go boom with surprising force.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 03:57:52 PM »
As far as your motor, is it this one:
https://parts2u.com/WPW10201322-BLOWER-MOTOR-CW-15001380-RPM-115V_p_2553145.html

Because that's a two speed 115VAC motor, so as was mentioned above, Green-Ground, White-Neutral, Red OR Black to line for the two speeds.  Don't connect them together.
That looks like it but it’s on the side of a squirrel cage housing. The shaft passes through the housing to a carousel fan. The housing has a 6” round inlet and a 5” round outlet. I’ll look it over closer and possibly rethink my plan. Or set it up just for welding exhaust extraction.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »
The airflow pulls out fumes from the range but also cools the motor. So yes anything that could cause problem will go into the motor.

I followed several techs (parts changers) that didn't put the piece of foam seal back in the right place or had the blower to far from center on the shaft and the motor would overheat and kick out in overload.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 07:53:38 PM »

What the furnace filter wouldn't catch, and what others are alluding to, are the volatile vapors that often accompany projects like that...

Vapors that can, with the right oxygenation level and an ignition source say, such as the spark from an unshielded motor, go boom with surprising force.

Exactly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design