Author Topic: No-kill, lab-grown meat to go on sale for first time  (Read 1634 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
No-kill, lab-grown meat to go on sale for first time
« on: December 02, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
Cultured meat, produced in bioreactors without the slaughter of an animal, has been approved for sale by a regulatory authority for the first time. The development has been hailed as a landmark moment across the meat industry.

The “chicken bites”, produced by the US company Eat Just, have passed a safety review by the Singapore Food Agency and the approval could open the door to a future when all meat is produced without the killing of livestock, the company said.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/02/no-kill-lab-grown-meat-to-go-on-sale-for-first-time#click=https://t.co/0juazhInFh

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: No-kill, lab-grown meat to go on sale for first time
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
My only issue is that much of the land in the world shouldn't be farmed or can't sustain farming. Some of the places we grow row crops in the US would be better suited for grazing animals if the mission was human food production.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 11:46:20 AM »
When will they offer long pig?

:O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 11:53:26 AM »
When will they offer long pig?

:O

It's been discussed before, lab grown "human meat". I think we even had a thread about it here some time ago.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 11:55:45 AM »
If they can do this, can they grow human organs?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »

I believe some of that is already being done. Skin is an organ.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/organs-made-to-order-863675/  Notice the date. (10 years ago)  I don't know what progress has been made since then, but certainly it has moved forward not back.
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 12:28:58 PM »
Soylent  Green is people. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 12:38:33 PM »
I believe some of that is already being done. Skin is an organ.

Long Pork Rinds?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
Soylent  Green is people. [tinfoil]

A little hot sauce and it's fine.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 01:09:30 PM »
Put enough ketchup and/or hot sauce on it and you can eat damn near anything.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 01:21:40 PM »
I finished a book about this (Billion Dollar Burger) just last week.  The technology has outstripped the regulatory authorities, and the CEO of Just has been working for the past several years to have a product approved by someone.  They came close in the Netherlands, but ultimately to no avail.  He hoped that once one country issued approval, others would follow more quickly. 

The other interesting thing is that Israel is a hotbed of research on this, and the holy grail is using scaffolding to be able to grow solid muscle cuts with fat marbling such as steaks, as opposed to muscle-only cells good only for ground meat.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
Put enough ketchup and/or hot sauce on it and you can eat damn near anything.
But where do they get the ketchup and hot sauce?   ???   [tinfoil]
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: No-kill, lab-grown meat to go on sale for first time
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 04:09:17 PM »
It's actually a field they've been working, and making steady progress, on. It's not near primetime last I checked but big jumps in something as complex as growing a kidney or other organ still only move the goal post so far.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 09:31:25 AM »
I’ll keep raising my own meat.  If this gets prevalent I’ll add beef to the yard.  There is just something wrong in my mind with lab grown “meat”.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 09:39:55 AM »
I’ll keep raising my own meat.  If this gets prevalent I’ll add beef to the yard.  There is just something wrong in my mind with lab grown “meat”.

I don't know, lots of things we as a society need everyday are lab grown. Insulin is one I can think of off hand. Lots of food we eat is lab processed protein from soybeans and other legumes. 

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 10:00:46 AM »
I don't know, lots of things we as a society need everyday are lab grown. Insulin is one I can think of off hand. Lots of food we eat is lab processed protein from soybeans and other legumes. 

Lab processed protein from soybeans and lentils (see what I did there?) is fine -- assuming that's what it really is. ;)  Or from vats of algae or fungi or whatever.  I find it hard to believe that growing real meat in a laboratory and then scaling it up to commercial scale will ever make sense from an efficiency perspective.

If you want real meat without the guilt, raise and kill cattle, pigs, and chickens humanely, and pay the higher price at the store for it.  A lot of people are doing that already with cage-free or free-range eggs.  (And some egg producers are probably mislabeling their cage eggs to get the premium without earning it; I don't know who regulates that)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 10:04:05 AM »
I wonder if lab-grown meat will, if it takes off and becomes mainstream, cause some vegetarians to change their outlook since the "meat" didn't come from an animal that had to be harvested.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 10:07:18 AM »
I wonder if lab-grown meat will, if it takes off and becomes mainstream, cause some vegetarians to change their outlook since the "meat" didn't come from an animal that had to be harvested.

Some, yes.  When my daughter was on her vegetarian kick, she was okay with eating wild game; it wasn't the harvesting she objected to so much as the living conditions.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2023, 09:41:51 AM »
According to this lab-grown meat may actually be far worse for the earth than real meat.

Experts think lab-grown meat is set to become more ubiquitous in the next 10 years, transforming from a niche concept to a common fridge staple.

But for this to happen, production methods will have to be scaled up from mere petri dishes to massive energy-intensive industrial units.

In the study, the scientists estimated the energy required for stages of lab-grown meat's production, from the ingredients making up the growth medium and the energy required to power laboratories, and compared this with beef.

They largely focused on the quantity of growth medium components, including glucose, amino acids, vitamins, growth factors, salts and minerals.

They found the global warming potential of lab-grown meat ranged from 246 to 1,508 kg of CO2 equivalent per kilogram of lab-grown meat, which is four to 25 times greater than the average global warming potential of retail beef.

Burger lovers rejoice! Lab-grown meat is up to 25 times WORSE for the climate than beef, study claims
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12067409/Lab-grown-meat-25-times-WORSE-climate-beef.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2023, 09:51:54 AM »
It tastes like despair.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2023, 07:33:36 PM »
Singapore?  Is it really Soylent Bat?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2023, 11:05:52 AM »
The other interesting thing is that Israel is a hotbed of research on this, and the holy grail is using scaffolding to be able to grow solid muscle cuts with fat marbling such as steaks, as opposed to muscle-only cells good only for ground meat.

Lab grown meat?

The jews really need to get the ball rolling on genetically engineering a pig that chews the cud and has a cloven hoof!   :cool:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2023, 12:02:59 PM »
Some, yes.  When my daughter was on her vegetarian kick, she was okay with eating wild game; it wasn't the harvesting she objected to so much as the living conditions.
I think the majority of the meat in my freeze is from one of my parents cows that is grass fed and just hangs out on their property. 

I believe you can work with some butchers or perhaps the land owners to get specific meat.  Might have to get the cow or an entire side of beef though. 

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2023, 12:21:59 PM »
I think the majority of the meat in my freeze is from one of my parents cows that is grass fed and just hangs out on their property. 

I believe you can work with some butchers or perhaps the land owners to get specific meat.  Might have to get the cow or an entire side of beef though. 

A lot of times you get 1/4 or even 1/8 of a beef so if you’re just 1 person, or a couple with no kids at home you can get a manageable amount.

If you get a lamb, even a fairly large one is usually only 40lbs of boneless cuts of meat.  Even a single person can eat that in under a year easily.