Author Topic: Disney+, not all movies available  (Read 590 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Disney+, not all movies available
« on: December 11, 2020, 11:34:34 AM »
Signed up for Disney+ presuming they would have the entire Disney catalog available. Immediately discovered that isn't the case. One that I was really looking forward to, Hot Lead and Cold Feet, isn't there. Yes, it's cheesy mid-70's Disney assembly-line schlock, but it brings back good memories and it's a harmless way to spend 90 minutes.

Apparently I'm not the only one to be a little surprised at how incomplete the Disney+ catalog is, but I can also see why. Getting titles set up for streaming takes time so they went for what was already available, then focused on getting popular older titles coded first. Less popular stuff will be added over time, at least supposedly. There's also a backlog of stuff that was on multi-year contracts with other streaming services, usually as package deals for bulk blocks of less-popular titles (i.e. the "crank em out over the weekend" stuff from the late '60s through the early '80s).

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/over-300-disney-owned-films-and-shows-missing-from-disney-plus/

The "No R-rated" policy is no surprise, albeit still disappointing. However, scuttlebutt is they are creating a separate section for R-rated content. Makes sense given the extensive catalog of R-rated titles from many of Disney's subsidiary studios. I'm guessing unexpected R-rated blockbusters like Logan and Deadpool may have had something to do with it.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-rumored-adding-rrated-adult-content/

Brad
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:18:06 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Disney+, not all movies available
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 11:40:07 AM »
Not directly related to your comment: but after how much Disney has screwed up copyright laws in the US, it is a company I refuse to support.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 12:04:24 PM »
I was also disappointed in the available language options. Disney dubs all their movies into basically every language known to man. So I figured that on Disney+ they would have ALL the languages available, right? Why not? It should be fun to have access to obscure languages. But they actually have less language options than the DVDs.

As soon as I got Disney+ I wanted to watch the classic, vaulted animated movies in HD. I know I'm weird, but for me the French version of Lion King will always be The One True Version. I also like the Japanese version of Frozen, but I've only seen it on airplanes because the JPN version is hard to get on DVD. But no luck. So instead I rewatched Lion King SD version that I ripped from my DVD, through my Plex server. Hurray for progess.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 12:04:54 PM »
Had NO idea that Disney owns Firefly...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 09:35:16 PM »
Had NO idea that Disney owns Firefly...

Wait... So Zoe, Inara, and Kaylee are all Disney princesses???

I'll be in my bunk.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 10:25:37 PM »

I'll be in my bunk.

Disney Owns M*A*S*H so that makes Klinger a Disney princess as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 11:36:09 PM »
The Disney+ version of Splash is censored for nudity by cheap CGI. Apparently it's a special Disney+ version. I don't like how easy it is to change history with streaming media.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 08:15:37 AM »
I mentioned elsewhere my annoyance of "stealth editing". I wonder if there is any entity that preserves the original versions of all media and makes them available for purchase? I know we have places like Gutenberg Press and the Internet Archives, but AFAIK, they are all public domain.

We're getting to a point where SJW and similar editing is changing our culture through clandestine means. It seems more important than ever to preserve original content, whether it's a historical document or an episode of The Simpsons.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »

I'll be in my bunk.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes