Author Topic: Afghan soldiers going fishing with an RPG....  (Read 1568 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Afghan soldiers going fishing with an RPG....
« on: March 23, 2007, 09:51:06 AM »
If anyone hadn't seen this yet. The "Smokey and the Bandit" music just makes it.  cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcM3VZpUnCA

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Re: Afghan soldiers going fishing with an RPG....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 12:15:12 PM »
It appears it works, but the cost to benefit ratio is kinda high.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:47:14 PM »
[sarcasm] BUT, BUT,........ would Richard Dean Anderson approve?!?!?!?  [/sarcasm]
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 05:06:31 PM »
[sarcasm] BUT, BUT,........ would Richard Dean Anderson approve?!?!?!?  [/sarcasm]
I'd have to say, probably not, considering he was on the board of directors of Handgun Control Inc and is on the NRA/ILA list of anti gun celebrities.

Anti Gun Celeb's
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 04:31:32 AM »
I would think you wouldn't want to be that close to an exploding RPG.  How do these guys not get waxed in the process? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 05:19:06 AM »
The water.

Water is incredibly good at containing explosions.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 06:08:01 AM »
Huh, the Middle Eastern version of my old boss in the oil patch. We used to always say, "When Dupont quits making dynamite, Les is gonna quit fishing".   laugh

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

onions!

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 06:13:08 AM »
You know,that video kinda opens my eyes a bit.

What I mean is that I've always kinda felt like people from the far side of the globe were so different culturally that we had little beyond basic biology in common.Watching that video I could see some guys dressed in flannel & jeans saying "watch this" or "hold my beer" angel & tossing a pipe bomb into a lake to blow up some fish.

It just seems like "boys will be boys" might be a universal truth.I guess that I'd never thought about the similarities,us & them,that deeply before.

+1 on the risk vs. reward though. grin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 06:28:31 AM »
I would think you wouldn't want to be that close to an exploding RPG.  How do these guys not get waxed in the process? 

RPGs are actually shaped charges designed for destroying lightly armored vehicles.  Also, water is very good at absorbing explosions (but the shockwave could be pretty damaging). The "kill radius" when used against troops isn't very big, either. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG7

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 06:30:57 AM »
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

And its even a CATFISH they are fishing for!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 08:36:45 AM »
Be curious as to what the second one brought to the surface. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 06:16:37 PM »
You know,that video kinda opens my eyes a bit.

What I mean is that I've always kinda felt like people from the far side of the globe were so different culturally that we had little beyond basic biology in common.Watching that video I could see some guys dressed in flannel & jeans saying "watch this" or "hold my beer" angel & tossing a pipe bomb into a lake to blow up some fish.

It just seems like "boys will be boys" might be a universal truth.I guess that I'd never thought about the similarities,us & them,that deeply before.

+1 on the risk vs. reward though. grin

Yea, no kidding.  "Hey y'all, watch this" is a universal danger sign.  Most folks are just folks.  And trust guys with access to explosives to do something downright stupid but entertaining.

While I personally wouldn't have aimed it at that angle, it wasn't as dangerous as you'd think.  RPG's use a shaped charge, and aren't designed for extensive fragmentation.  If there's soft mud under that water, it'd absorb damn near all the shrapnel and the water would contain most of the shockwave.  Just don't be IN the water at the time.  Backblast would be probably more of a concern than the warhead.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.