Author Topic: 2020 retirement account performance  (Read 944 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
2020 retirement account performance
« on: December 31, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »
1/2/2020:           $  699,723.99
12/31/2020:       $  790,677.25

Low point:          $  556,402.25 on 3/25/2020
High point:         $  790,677.25 on 12/31/2020

Percent return in 2020: 13%

This was a much better year than the last few years.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: 2020 retirement account performance
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 08:56:11 PM »

Trump says, "You're welcome."

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 09:43:46 PM »
My TSP didn't do so well, probably because when I retired I moved a big chunk of it into G fund (Government funds). When inflation goes bat poop crazy it will be in a good place.

bob

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 09:45:15 PM »
The bitcoins I bought at 3k are doing well. 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 11:02:16 PM »
23% gain for me.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 11:11:08 PM »
Mine went up $600.

>:D

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 11:15:31 PM »
35.44% return according to my dashboard, but that is showing December 2019 to November 2020 at the moment.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 07:34:10 AM »
I don't have the final numbers on my various accounts yet, but it's looking like all of them gained between 20 and 30% for the year.

Some of my personal holdings did well, but my OXY (Occidental Petroleum) which I bought when the markets plunged, went even deeper afterwards on the global oil economy. It's been slowly recovering, but I'm still down a few hundred on it. It was down over $2,000 at one point.

My Marathon Petroleum, however, has done well. I'm just shy of doubling my investment in it. I wish I had thrown in more.

All of my other personal holdings, which I count towards my ready cash reserves (actual cash in the bank plus a suite of about 15 EFT, individual stock, and mutual fund holdings that I can liquidate rapidly if I need to) did pretty well for the year, up maybe 15% total.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 09:00:16 AM »
In my retirement accounts, I'm balanced to "full retirement" allocations, so I didn't expect much, as my allocations are based on the 4% rule for long term income. Still (to date for end NOV - I won't have exact numbers till they post next week), I was pretty pleased for how conservative I am.

Vanguard is at 13% and the TSP is at 15%. I'm very surprised with the TSP. Like Bob, I have a good chunk of my dough there in the G fund, and that fund was abysmal this year, at 0.83%. The other TSP funds I'm invested in though, did so well that they more than made up for that.

For my gambling fund of individual stocks at Ameritrade, I'm at 19%. Which really just goes to show what a good deal index funds are. Without me having to do anything or pay any attention, my TSP stock index funds did, YTD, 14% and 23% respectively.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 09:32:56 AM »
I've got $4500, woooo!!!! At the end of February I had zero dollars so I am happy. I looted my small 401 last year because I decided to quit my job and take a sanity break with the idea of being gone a month, pay off some debts and then go back to my old job. That didn't go down like that. 3 month break but I had a job in a week of going back to looking for one since old company was slow and not hiring. Had my pick of jobs. I picked well, better 401, better match, better health insurance and I went back to my old job part time as well. I don't worry about retirement. I will work at something as long as I can because I tried the retired life for three years. The three months last winter were killing me. Get my navy retirement if I live to 60. Anything else is bonus points.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 12:36:39 PM »
Even though I tend toward being a conservative investor, my 401k did 16.2% in 2020, a little below 2019's 17.7% return. Overall return for the last 7 years is equivalent to 9.2% compounded annually. (2018 & 2015 were not so good.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 12:57:12 PM »
We did about 16% in 2020.  We're happy with it.  Not sure about 2021 after Biden cranks business taxes up from 21% to 28%.  I think that will be his first step to an eventual 35%, where it was when Trump took office.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 01:00:41 PM »
My retirement investment will yield an extra 1.3% in 2021. ('Course, my retirement investments were the FICA deductions taken from my income ...)

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 07:21:58 AM »
Finally had time to look at my SAIC retirement account... I've not put anything in it since I left SAIC in March 2019. It returned just under 20% for the year. It would have been more, but I've been slowly reallocating my investments as I get older to take out some of the risk.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 12:06:48 PM »
Through nothing more or less than pure coincidence and blind luck, my Vanguard account is up 59%. In monetary terms it's roughly equivalent to my annual salary. Not in my wildest speculations would I have predicted this kind of single-year performance. Even if I only get reasonable returns from this point forward, the jump start combined with future compounding means I might be able to retire some day after all.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:47:53 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 02:32:47 PM »
The IRA account I haven't contributed a dime to in 4 years gained 11% last year, also my biggest account. I would of loved another 2019 year of gains for that account.

My other retirement accounts (except 1 stinker ROTH account) that I contribute to regular were at least 15%, even trading funds to something more conservative in my biggest of those.

Baring anything stupid globally, I should be a paper millionaire in about 13 years. I'm also in year 23 of saving towards retirement, not including FICA taxes.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 05:10:55 PM »
Through nothing more or less than pure coincidence and blind luck, my Vanguard account is up 59%. In monetary terms it's roughly equivalent to my annual salary. Not in my wildest speculations would I have predicted this kind of single-year performance. Even if I only get reasonable returns from this point forward, the jump start combined with future compounding means I might be able to retire some day after all.

Brad

That is awesome. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 06:58:29 PM »
15.4% for my 401k.  Would have done a whole lot better but I thought the downturn at the start of the covid craziness would persist longer so I didn’t put back in on company stock when I had a great price to do so.  Probably could have made 35.4%.  Oh well.

ETA, need to check on my IRAs.  Not sure what they made.